Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED headlight and relay problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SKL1
Have the LED GE headlights- just put in the fog light flasher and now my high beams don't work. jWest has been very helpful trying to work me thru a solution - we thought the relay was bad so I got a new one from Pelican and just put it in. It has an extra tab labeled 30 which the original didn't have so it is empty. Somebody had said the newer relay need a power source? Is that the 30 tab??
Fog flash fine and lo beams work. When I pull the wand there is no click and no high beams.
Any ideas from any folks out there with LED headlights? I know there are a few of you!

TIA.

(high beams would be nice in AZ- it's DARK at night here!!!)
Tom_T
The no click may indicate a bad TS/high-low-beam switch, or maybe the click/tab dealie is bent wanky & not making contact (check before you look for a new TS/H-L switch).

That said, the lower voltage with LED often makes the stock relays malfunction, so you usually have to put in a special LED specific TS/beam relay/set-of-relays on older cars. Check with your LED headlight supplier.

When I did the LED exterior light kit on my 88 Westy it included that special relay, so you may need something similar. The one GoWesty sells may work & IIRC it's for sale separately, but I don't know if it will fit the 914 relay board, since the Vanagon relay board is changed from the prior Bay Window Buses' board - which was similar to the 914s.

Another thing to check is for faulty LED bulbs & connectors/sockets, as they will make all sorts of malfunctions. My Westy had all of the exterior bulb sockets replaced with new during the resto, but the RF TS one had 2 wires crossed & gave me fits with the LED/H-L/TS not functioning right, until I went back & rechecked everything to find that error. So your situation could be as simple as that too.

Lastly, you may have a situation where you need to convert ALL exterior lights to LED in order to get it to all work properly (including the fog/driving lights if you have them & IIRC they make an LED H2 bulb for them) - if you haven't done so already.

PS - I have standard Halogen 80/100 headlights on the Westy, but all other TS, Side Marker & Tail Lights are from the GoWesty LED Exterior Light Kit, so mine is a mixed set & works okay once the crossed wires were fixed.

Also PS - I think GoWesty might sell a Bus LED light kit, which may be a better fit for a 914. Try calling them on Monday to see, if you think it might be the problem with the relay. Gowesty.com

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
SKL1
Weird thing is the old relay did click, the hi beams would just flash and not stay on. New relay doesn't even click and the hi beams don't even flash for a second.
I've got all LED turn signals F and R thanks to Spoke. Only non LED are the fog lights.
Steve
I have a 75 with the GE headlights and spokes parking lights and turn signals. Everything works fine. Everything is stock except for flaps flasher relay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.