Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Rebuilder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gcrotvik
Does anyone have any experience with this vendor? Their prices seem reasonable, even with a core charge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171596632943?_trks...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks,

Greg
Mark Henry
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Feb 6 2016, 03:56 PM) *

Does anyone have any experience with this vendor? Their prices seem reasonable, even with a core charge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171596632943?_trks...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks,

Greg

OH HELL NO!!!! slap.gif slap.gif slap.gif slap.gif slap.gif

ar15.gif Wayne Kreiger sawzall-smiley.gif

ar15.gif AKA: Richard Kreeger sawzall-smiley.gif

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...-356-911-a.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-d...ne-krieger.html

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewto...f=1&t=12004

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewto...7c&start=15

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...-c-engines.html
Mark Henry
BTW If I'm wrong on this I will be the first to apologize, but I'd be super diligent...for starters $9k sounds too low.
mepstein
Add in $6500 for the core charge. $16,50 - That's a pricey 2.4 longblock from an iffy eBay seller.
wndsnd
WTF is that sealant? That alone would scare me away....
gcrotvik
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 6 2016, 02:33 PM) *

Thanks all. Had that Motormeister feel to it.
mepstein
$16k should get you a whole lotta engine. Even in today's market.
rhodyguy
How is the guy not in jail for fraud or larceny? Given the date stamp on the pp ot thread he's been fleecing people for years.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 7 2016, 02:00 PM) *

How is the guy not in jail for fraud or larceny? Given the date stamp on the pp ot thread he's been fleecing people for years.

IIRC he has been in poop with the po-po, but it's like playing Whack-a-Mole.
porschetub
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 8 2016, 01:14 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 7 2016, 02:00 PM) *

IIRC he has been in poop with the po-po, but it's like playing Whack-a-Mole.

Lots of motors have been re-ringed...that's got to be good lol-2.gif
raynekat
Yes when adding in the core charge, $16,400 is pricey for a long block using JE pistons (there really inferior to Mahle). Add in all the correct MFI induction, cooling fan/alt hardware and shroud, dizzy and plug wires, HE's or headers and a proper exhaust, engine sheet metal, sensors, plus all the niggly bits.....this engine will be north of $25k really quickly.

Plus... how could this engine ever been tested as stated in the ad?

Plus, plus....he keeps interchanging 911E and 911S wording throughout the ad. Really confusing and likely "unlikely."

Better to lok for a different engine.

Rothsport is obviously the engine builder of choice in Oregon, but you'll pay alot. Luckily you'll get the best engine available regardless of cost.
Jake Raby
16K doesn't go far with a -6. I won't touch one for less than 20k, most run 25 with new oil pump, Carrera tensioners, and idlers, as well as the rest of the update parts.

Mahle Motorsports have reached out to us, and LN to bring back the aircooled market a bit, so once development is finished we'll be able to have Nickies with Mahle pistons for the first time ever.

That changes the game a bit, again. This is especially true since we are doing the development for the entire line of components.

mskala
Not sure how you know this is from MotorSheister guy?

However, besides what people said, take a look at both pictures, they are not even
pictures of the same motor.

First one has black chain covers, second one not. Ah, but you say well they could
have swapped those. But, top side of cylinders aluminum, bottom side of cylinders
blackish (cast iron). stromberg.gif
Mark Henry
Read the ad,
New aluminum cylinders?
Cylinders are silver (raw aluminum) on top and black on the bottom?
Where are the carrera tensioners?
Is it a 1972 or 73?
Is it an E or S?
"engine rebuild to original 911E specs ( is a real 911S)" well which is it?
rolleyes.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 8 2016, 07:43 AM) *

Read the ad,
New aluminum cylinders?
Cylinders are silver (raw aluminum) on top and black on the bottom?
Where are the carrera tensioners?
Is it a 1972 or 73?
Is it an E or S?
"engine rebuild to original 911E specs ( is a real 911S)" well which is it?
rolleyes.gif

I know one person that doesn't know any of these things... The person posting the ad!

You always get exactly what you pay for with these engines.
porschetub
QUOTE(raynekat @ Feb 8 2016, 05:56 PM) *

Yes when adding in the core charge, $16,400 is pricey for a long block using JE pistons (there really inferior to Mahle). Add in all the correct MFI induction, cooling fan/alt hardware and shroud, dizzy and plug wires, HE's or headers and a proper exhaust, engine sheet metal, sensors, plus all the niggly bits.....this engine will be north of $25k really quickly.

Plus... how could this engine ever been tested as stated in the ad?

Plus, plus....he keeps interchanging 911E and 911S wording throughout the ad. Really confusing and likely "unlikely."

Better to lok for a different engine.

Rothsport is obviously the engine builder of choice in Oregon, but you'll pay alot. Luckily you'll get the best engine available regardless of cost.

interesting about the JE comment,used by the best guys in the 911 rebuild circles cause Mahle have scaled down production and on that basis prices are right up there.

JE custom build @ a fair price to what ever you need and are currently one of the few options around.
Have you had an issue with JE pistons,would be interested to know thanks.
Series9
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a JE piston. When I build an engine, I use either Mahle or LN cylinders and JE pistons.

Mahle pistons are great as well, but good effing luck if it's not in stock when you need it.

Add to that the fact that you can buy almost any size and CR JE you want for about a grand and the choice become a no-brainer in many situations.

I have a bunch of fast /6s running around on JEs, and no failures larger than an oil leak.

And, Mahle wouldn't have to "re-invent" their air-cooled market if they had continued to support the market they created 40 years ago.
Series9
LN Engineering is an undisputed leader in top-quality cylinder manufacturing for Porsches and VWs.

What pistons are sold with these top-shelf cylinders?

http://lnengineering.com/products/aircoole...rs-pistons.html
wndsnd
This thread has been slightly hijacked, so I will add my .02

I am using JE's on my 2.7 build. Overall they look like a nicely made product but they are machined aluminum, so I will warn you.

Make sure you check your parts thoroughly. As I was assembling the piston set and aligning my rings, something caught my eye.

This is what I found in one of my ring seats.

Click to view attachment

A beautiful piece of machining engine killer....

Imagine what havoc this could have caused.....
Mark Henry
Mahle vs JE is an interest debate, mostly centered around the metallurgy, expansion rates, tolerances and service life, etc.
There's also a lot of personal preference, anecdotal evidence and opinion in the mix.

The main points:
The Mahle pistons run at very high tolerances all the time.
JE piston have a lot of slop cold, compared to mahle this cold slop is huge. This is first hand knowledge, I've used both.

Mahle do seem to wear longer, but is there really enough (JE) data to prove this. Of course Mahle has a longer track record, they were OE pistons.
JE's on the other hand tend to go into modified engines so of course that could be a huge factor in any real or perceived wear.

Charles at LN in the past has said that JE's and his cylinders are the best JE combo, while OE cylinders are better suited for Mahle piston's.
Could be true, but he may have just said it to keep from becoming tangled in the argument.
Jake Raby
I use Mahle, JE & CP pistons for various applications with these engines, and all have their pros and cons.

Over the years I have had pistons from all 3 of these manufacturers fail, and usually the failure was associated with an engine having too much time on it (one with JEs had 200 track hours) or a missed shift(s).

I'm building a 4.1L street engine for a Beck 904 GTS now. Its is based from a M64.02 engine, and it uses the largest Nickies in existence as my proprietary offering from LN (Developing all the LN products since 1999 has some benefits). This engine uses a JE piston with a NP/ Total Seal/ Hastings hybrid ring set for maximum oil control in a high HP street setting. The engine will net around 420HP at the flywheel.

Now, as an example I am also building a 993 based 4.1L engine that will see full race use, and that engine is using a CP piston. Why? because the CP forging is 20gr lighter, the cam is moved up a long way, and it has a more beneficial crown dimension that allows for deeper valve pockets without loss of piston integrity. This will use a low tension ring pack for maximum performance, with no consideration of oil control being made. In this application the CP is unparalleled in my experience. With CP now being an OEM to Porsche for the GT3 and Cup car pistons, the CP name is now acceptable to most builders that would not consider it before. (Thats stupid, but it happens in the Porsche world all the time)

Now, I just finished a bone stock first year 930 engine 930/51 and that engine used Mahle cylinders, and pistons. Why? Because its a car with a 400K investment, and we wanted to keep the engine 100% OEM.

With Mahle Motorsports looking to us and LN as a partner in developing offerings for these engines again, things will change a good bit moving forward
McMark
CP is Central Pneumatic, the Harbor Freight brand right? I wonder if they have those at my local store.

hide.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.