Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor contact plate?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
4x4loyr
I'm trying to trace & fix my electrical problems (ignition and fuel pump). One thing just keeps leading to another, new problem.

The green wire from the condenser recently fried; I looked inside the distributor, and the points were burned and the interior wire was fried as well. Then I noticed that the ground wire (copper braided wire) was holding on by one thread.

So, I'm looking for the following:
Bosch Distributor Contact Breaker Plate Note: For Vacuum Advance distributors only

PP says it is no longer available. Anyone know where I can get one?

Or, if it is unavailable, what is the next best option?

YELLOW = ground wire
RED = crispy interior wire
GREEN = burnt condenser wire
IPB Image

IPB Image
timothy_nd28
That happens when you leave the key on with the engine not running. Consider a electronic pointless module, with this you could gut all your burnt wiring.
914Sixer
Plate is the same as the VW Type 1 or 3. AA has made up some reproductions. Every once in a while a NOS one shows up.
JeffBowlsby
Just replace your points, condenser and use soldering wick to replace the copper braid.
4x4loyr
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Feb 6 2016, 07:29 PM) *

That happens when you leave the key on with the engine not running. Consider a electronic pointless module, with this you could gut all your burnt wiring.

Yup. That's exactly what I did (while trying to diagnose my fuel pump issue).
Do you have a specific suggestion as to an electronic pointless module? I'd need a new coil, too, correct. (and I still need to reconnect the ground wire inside, right?)

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 7 2016, 06:05 AM) *

Plate is the same as the VW Type 1 or 3. AA has made up some reproductions. Every once in a while a NOS one shows up.

Thanks. I'll look into those

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 7 2016, 07:24 AM) *

Just replace your points, condenser and use soldering wick to replace the copper braid.

Thanks, Jeff.
I've got new points & condenser ready to go. Guess I can give a try to replacing the ground wire. Suppose it'll be easier by removing the contact plate itself.
timothy_nd28
I know this is cheap, but I had great luck with this module.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-Ignition-...0849?nav=SEARCH

You can keep your coil or replace it with something hotter. My car seemed to idle better with the new high output coil and the pointless module. I even increased the plug gap, with no ill effects.

This module is still prone to fail with the key on and engine not running, so you will need to break that habit. I bought a second unit that sits in my glove box as a backup
porschetub
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 8 2016, 04:24 AM) *

agree.gif kinda goes without saying really lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.