Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971 914-4 Frankenstein Update
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikesjunk
So stopping in for an update on Frankenstein. I was able to do some tuning and got the dwell and timing all set so its running better now. A couple of other things to check and hopefully scratch off "get running" from the list.

Plus I dropped the VIN in the database.

So moving to the "get driving again" it needed the shifter bushings replaced so I could at least find some gears. All the bushings were shot. So I got a kit with them all and it's on its was to being back together. I'm waiting on the bellows and seal for the plastic thing that covers mechanism under the car.

Also wow what an adventure getting those double springs back in place on the bottom of the shifter. Not sure if there is a good method but I finally got them. Probably should of took a picture but here's my attempt to describe my madness. So I put the pin in and slid the springs onto it. So one end was in place the other was extended way out. I put the end with the pin in place on one side of my vice and put the spring on the other so think hinge at the pin/shifter area. I then closed the vice compressing the spring. I closed the hinge so to say by putting the other side of the shifter up against the vice. Then took a hammer and tapped the spring/pin end on the vice to "jump" it over into the shifter. Worked and I didn't poke an eye out. All my other attempts and methods at trying to compress those springs were futile.

So while waiting on the shifter parts to arrive I took the ignition out and sent it off to be looked at as it was a bit sketchy. Needless to say Frankenstein didn't disappoint. It seems to be a combination of parts and issues. So currently swapping emails to try to get that figured out.

But while under the dash I came across a strange what is this? Its on the bottom of the dase and a wire/cable runs up to the speedometer.

IPB Image
hndyhrr
QUOTE(mikesjunk @ Feb 6 2016, 05:53 PM) *

So stopping in for an update on Frankenstein. I was able to do some tuning and got the dwell and timing all set so its running better now. A couple of other things to check and hopefully scratch off "get running" from the list.

Plus I dropped the VIN in the database.

So moving to the "get driving again" it needed the shifter bushings replaced so I could at least find some gears. All the bushings were shot. So I got a kit with them all and it's on its was to being back together. I'm waiting on the bellows and seal for the plastic thing that covers mechanism under the car.

Also wow what an adventure getting those double springs back in place on the bottom of the shifter. Not sure if there is a good method but I finally got them. Probably should of took a picture but here's my attempt to describe my madness. So I put the pin in and slid the springs onto it. So one end was in place the other was extended way out. I put the end with the pin in place on one side of my vice and put the spring on the other so think hinge at the pin/shifter area. I then closed the vice compressing the spring. I closed the hinge so to say by putting the other side of the shifter up against the vice. Then took a hammer and tapped the spring/pin end on the vice to "jump" it over into the shifter. Worked and I didn't poke an eye out. All my other attempts and methods at trying to compress those springs were futile.

So while waiting on the shifter parts to arrive I took the ignition out and sent it off to be looked at as it was a bit sketchy. Needless to say Frankenstein didn't disappoint. It seems to be a combination of parts and issues. So currently swapping emails to try to get that figured out.

But while under the dash I came across a strange what is this? Its on the bottom of the dase and a wire/cable runs up to the speedometer.

IPB Image

milage trip re-set
tweet
trip meter reset knob-- No longer available--terminates at the back of the speedometer gauge -- don't lose the knob, they are difficult to come by
mikesjunk
Yeah I don't think it will get lost as I don't think its coming off. smile.gif I see a small screw set screw but it wouldn't budge. I'll have to play with in now I know what its supposed to be. Does it twist to do the reset?

tweet
Yes, it is supposed to turn until the trip meter resets to all zeros. The other end does disconnect from the speedo gauge. So, if you need to remove the gauges, you can and still leave the cable attached to the lower dash.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.