Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: im new to the 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cronin069
i just bought a 72 914, but i cant get it started. tried today and the green wire from coil to distibutor started smoking and i stopped. also found 3 wires inside of cabin not connected to anything. any help would be a great help
RickS
Hopefully there are some teenheads near you with a multimeter and some time to help a brotha out.
stevegm
Welcome to the madness. Electrical is not my strong suit. But I am sure a couple experts will chime in and give you a hand.
cronin069
just took my dog out and walked by the car and found a fuel leak. what a great day
hissyfit.gif
Larmo63
welcome.png

Almost all of us have had these issues. Half of the fun is figuring it out while trying to not look like a total mechanical idiot.

Don't worry, it goes with the territory.
wndsnd
welcome.png

The fuel system is where you want to start on any old car.

With the 914, you will want to clean the tank, replace the soft fuel lines with product rated for methynol, and replace the lines through the tunnel with Stainless lines from Tangerine Racing.

Once you have clean fuel and safe lines that will not leak and catch fire, you can start on other fun projects!

Welcome!
rick 918-S
welcome.png Before you try starting the car again you need to examine the chassis for rust. Remove the outer rockers and check around the jack posts and ahead of the battery stand on the chassis rail. The absolutely next place to start repairs if you have a usable ( fixable) chassis is the fuel leak. You already have an electrical issue. Many of these cars have been lost to fire from the same combination.

Show up whatcha got. thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
rmital
where in NJ are you?? There's a few of us willing to help; make house calls... flag.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Disconnected wires in cabin is a little vague. A better description or pics would help. We're good, but not psychics.

Btw, welcome.
76-914
welcome.png
SirAndy
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 8 2016, 06:04 AM) *
Disconnected wires in cabin is a little vague. A better description or pics would help. We're good, but not psychics.

agree.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

welcome.png

cronin069
QUOTE(rmital @ Feb 8 2016, 09:01 AM) *

where in NJ are you?? There's a few of us willing to help; make house calls... flag.gif

i am in carneys point. just before the delaware memorial bridge
cronin069
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 8 2016, 09:04 AM) *

Btw, welcome.

2 brown with white stripe, 1 black with red stripe. i will post pics as soon as i can
cwpeden
Sounds like interior light, in the backpad between the seats.

Carbs or Fuel injection?
cronin069
how do i post pics???
cronin069
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Feb 8 2016, 01:43 PM) *

Sounds like interior light, in the backpad between the seats.

Carbs or Fuel injection?

fuel injected
cwpeden
In the general FAQ: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=94568
PS: welcome.png
rmital
QUOTE(cronin069 @ Feb 8 2016, 01:32 PM) *

you couldn't be any further away from me....and still live in the state... blink.gif
cronin069
QUOTE(rmital @ Feb 8 2016, 02:10 PM) *

QUOTE(cronin069 @ Feb 8 2016, 01:32 PM) *

you couldn't be any further away from me....and still live in the state... blink.gif

ican walk out my front door and look into Wilmington delaware
cronin069
Click to view attachment
cgnj
Hi,

Did it ever run? Does it crank? Does it have spark and fuel? Do you have tools? I'm, about an hour away. I may have a few hours this weekend

Carlos
cronin069
QUOTE(cronin069 @ Feb 8 2016, 02:21 PM) *

PlantMan
Looks better than my car!

welcome.png

Rick is right with the information above.

...but if you want to get it started....This is what I did to mine so I could at least check the engine compression and mechanical issues.
Change all the fluids, empty out the gas tank, change the fuel line, and add a new fuel filter, plugs and plug wires, points, rotor cap. Check your brakes all the way around, break lines, pads. Probably need new tires too.
I just kept my road test to short drives up and down my street and a short distance from home.

Do a lot of research and ask questions.

Good luck.
cronin069
i have some tools, i did get a putter then nothing, it has a fuel leak that i need to fix.
cronin069
QUOTE(PlantMan @ Feb 8 2016, 04:10 PM) *

Looks better than my car!

welcome.png

Rick is right with the information above.

...but if you want to get it started....This is what I did to mine so I could at least check the engine compression and mechanical issues.
Change all the fluids, empty out the gas tank, change the fuel line, and add a new fuel filter, plugs and plug wires, points, rotor cap. Check your brakes all the way around, break lines, pads. Probably need new tires too.
I just kept my road test to short drives up and down my street and a short distance from home.

Do a lot of research and ask questions.

Good luck.

the tires are like new rakes do need to be addressed tank was bone dry when i got it, i put new points and condenser in today
RickS
Herding cats can be confused with hurting cats which sums up my feelings at the moment.

Good luck with your project.
914_teener
GLWTS dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.