Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rechrome Plastic Fog-light Grills?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
Just curious if anyone ever had their plastic fog-light grills rechromed. Can it be done?
teenrookie
Yeah, they do it in a vacuum.

Chrome Services in Orange, CA. still does that I believe.

TJB/914
Thomas,

Be sure to ask if the Chrome Plating is for outside/exterior service?
My local area "Plastic" Chrome Plater's suggested only for interior parts. They said it would peel off if taken through a car wash or winter weather conditions. The ones we have on our 914's are plated using some kind of vacuum plating system that works only on new parts.

Tom
IronHillRestorations
There's a plater in Florida, Tallahassee IIRC, that has done them before. The grills can't be cracked, and I wouldn't use ones that weren't structurally perfect.

IIRC it was about $75 or so each, which isn't cheap. The good thing is they look better than brand new factory pieces. I'll have to see if I can take some pics.
gregrobbins
Anyone tried the Chrome spray paint in a rattle can?
azbill
I found a shop here in Phoenix BUT they wanted $200 each to replate the chrome on plastic. I polshed the ones I have they look OK not great but OK. I have seen them for sale new for a lot less. Check PP I think they have them.
neo914-6
You might want to ask McMark if he bought this
Joe Bob
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Mar 20 2005, 08:10 AM)
Anyone tried the Chrome spray paint in a rattle can?

Yup...I have....makes the CWs shiver...looks OK if the prep work is gud.....I hate chrome so I usually do everything in black.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.