Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fist Timed AX Event
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Alphaogre
Well, on my second lap in practice two the motor cut out on my once I let off the gas. Once I got it to restart there was a noise that was new and should not be there, so I decided to call it a day. It was more disappointing because I was just starting to get final adjustments on the air pressure.

It was my least favorite course they have set up so far, usually there are more sweeping turns which helps me out in carrying speed, also there were at least 3 points of the course where my gearing just seemed to be a bit too short and made me rev out a little longer. As we know, this might as well be a parachute let out the back.

I'm not sure if this was what contributed to the motor failure but we will have to see when I look into it this week. At first we thought that maybe the distributer moved and the timing was off, but once we let it sit and got it running there was a new knock, im just hoping it is not a valve since I just got the 96mm 1911cc build up done about 4 months ago. sad.gif

After the end of practice session one, I notice I was having to keep the engine from dying when pulling back to my pits. I did not see any oil pressure light and the oil was right in the middle of the two lines on the dip stick. confused24.gif

BTW: the yellow apex cones are not for my line, those are for the late brake, late apex and punch it new cars haha. Im the stay tight and carry as much as I can line laugh.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La1ELOJAztE...eature=youtu.be

Car is a 1.7 with a short stroke build. 96mm pistons, same crank, machined 1.7 heads. dual down draft weber 44's, stock 1.7 lifters and valves, bosch distributer.Also, I am running Joe Gibbs Racing Air cooled 15W50 oil.
Alphaogre
Well it looks like the rod bearing is bad on cylinder #2 mad.gif

So, it looks like I will need to pull and strip the motor, Its funny because I didn't want to split the case and now I will have to, since I need to, i might as well get a new crank to go with that short stroke motor... biggrin.gif

We will see, Ill have to look at the costs. Any recommended cranks or upgrades to go with the 1911 short stroke build are welcome!
Andyrew
My recommendations are to take the crank out, get it inspected and polished by a local shop and have them get new bearings, then throw it back together and replace any seal you removed. You'll be back on the road in a month, not a year.

Its driving season!
Alphaogre
That would certainly be the cheapest way.

I am pulling the motor this weekend! Will have it stripped and to the shop by the end of presidents day weekend.

If everything is coming apart, would it be worth getting a 2.0 crank instead of just fixing the current 1.7 crank....that is the question!

Which would be more reliable? DRD (which is where I ordered the pistons) has cranks, and recommends a crank for the Short Stroke set up...

https://www.drdracingheads.com/xcart/Forged...ank-shafts.html

ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Feb 8 2016, 05:50 PM) *

If everything is coming apart, would it be worth getting a 2.0 crank instead of just fixing the current 1.7 crank....that is the question!

Its really not that simple. Stick with the 66mm crankshaft and you'll be back on course in no time.
'73-914kid
Chris,

Take the crank to Adrian (Headflow Masters). If the crank is trashed, I bet he won't charge you much for a good used crank, and then polishing.. I would stick with the 1911 personally.. the 2.0L crank means new connecting rods and Pistons..

Have you considered getting a tuna can or Adrian's oil pressure check valve? I'm wondering if the bearing failed due to loss in oil pressure at RPM?
Alphaogre
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Feb 9 2016, 08:49 AM) *

Chris,

Take the crank to Adrian (Headflow Masters). If the crank is trashed, I bet he won't charge you much for a good used crank, and then polishing.. I would stick with the 1911 personally.. the 2.0L crank means new connecting rods and Pistons..

Have you considered getting a tuna can or Adrian's oil pressure check valve? I'm wondering if the bearing failed due to loss in oil pressure at RPM?

Just so happens I got off the phone with Mike today and he mentioned the same exact thing.

I am going to pull the motor this weekend and take it to Mike on monday, he recommended doing Adrian's Oil Pressure Release kit, and oil pump since the case will be split anyway. We also talked about the tuna can option as well and possibly remote oil cooler to help keep temps down.

They were the original bearings, so its somewhat hard to tell if there was not fatigue from before since I didn't have them checked.

We will see how much damage to the crank there is, and likely have Adrian machine what is needed. He actually assembled the internals out to the heads when I did the piston upgrade.
Alphaogre
So I got the motor done and back in the car, so the arduous break in period begins!

So the cause was the retaining pin for the front bearing was not in there, so the seat for the bearing slowly shifted over and covered one of the oil circulation holes, which is why #3, the fist piston in line, was the one that had the baring go out. So work done to the motor before I purchased the car either did not put the retaining pin back in or it backed out which it should not have done.

Anyway, its all back together with a web 46 cam, new lifters, a oil pressure ball valve from head flow masters, and a high pressure oil pump. I also through on the front fiberglass bumper, Corbeau seat, updated 5 point belts, and door pulls...

So just over a month, but we had the wait for them to make the cam...

Mike at MRD did all the work and said the cam should give some more lower end grunt and just about 1k more of RPMs with actual juice. Should go nice with the 1911 short stroke motor.

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
Very nice. I would still consider a tuna can though. I've thrown my car around on track and at AXs with fairly sticky tires and never seen the OP fluctuate with the can, even in long sweepers. An oil cooler probably isn't necessary unless you track it.
Alphaogre
Yep, that is also on the list. I am going to break it in then we will make some final adjustments add the tuna can with all new oil and dial in the carbs for the new cam.
Randal
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Mar 25 2016, 09:04 AM) *

Yep, that is also on the list. I am going to break it in then we will make some final adjustments add the tuna can with all new oil and dial in the carbs for the new cam.

I've always run tuna cans along with an Accusump unit. No failures. I hear lots of arguments about whether Accusumps work, but again my experience is no failures and 222 pulls 1.6G's

You might also want to mount a big red light and attach it to a low pressure oil sensor so the light lights up when pressure is low. I mounted mine after I had a oil cooler line burst and didn't know it blew until someone came up and said I was dumping oil on the ground. After that I mounted the big red light where I could see it clearly.
Alphaogre
I have a donor gauge and a taco plate to make a multi gauge and get some additional info on the motor. That is a good idea to have a large emergency light! Thanks
Randal
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Mar 25 2016, 01:03 PM) *

I have a donor gauge and a taco plate to make a multi gauge and get some additional info on the motor. That is a good idea to have a large emergency light! Thanks

And don't forget the Accusump, actually very cheap insurance.
Alphaogre
I am having trouble finding a "tuna can" for sale anywhere. I only come across old links that are dead or to forum discussions years old. Anyone have one or know where they can be picked up?
'73-914kid
Type 4 IV engine -Mini Deep Oil Sump -tuna can kit Price: £45

I believe this gentleman had a group buy on these a while back on the world.. but they seem like a much higher quality part than the oil weltmeister Tuna Cans
Alphaogre
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Apr 14 2016, 08:07 AM) *

I believe this gentleman had a group buy on these a while back on the world.. but they seem like a much higher quality part than the oil weltmeister Tuna Cans

Yea, I shot him an email and he just replied, I wasn't sure if he was still building them or there was an option on this side of the planet... biggrin.gif

Just hoping to get it by AX in 2 weeks.
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Apr 14 2016, 09:37 AM) *

Yea, I shot him an email and he just replied, I wasn't sure if he was still building them or there was an option on this side of the planet... biggrin.gif

May want to check with Chris Foley. I thought he bought a couple extras in the last group buy.
driving.gif
Alphaogre
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Apr 14 2016, 11:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Apr 14 2016, 09:37 AM) *

May want to check with Chris Foley. I thought he bought a couple extras in the last group buy.
driving.gif

I just ordered one from Neil, he had a couple on hand, so its already in route!
Alphaogre
Tuna can arrived and going in tonight! Doesn't seem like much, how much more oil does it hold over stock? the 1.7 case holds just over 3 quarts.

From what I read on line, I think the tuna can adds about 1/2 a quart?
VaccaRabite
half a quart.

And it helps a TON. But you do have to think about it when going over speed bumps. It usually sits a hair under the engine bar, and tapping it with the ground with mess up your case.

Zach
ThePaintedMan
agree.gif

I had no issues with clearance, but I didn't lower my car all that drastically. Did have an off-road excursion at Sebring and it never touched anything. Around town might be a different scenario, especially with a "slammed" 914.

To Zach's point, we also overfill about another quart when AXing/on track. So that's a total of about 1.5 extra quarts. Again, no issues with low oil pressure with it this way, and that's without an Accusump.
Alphaogre
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Apr 21 2016, 11:33 AM) *

agree.gif

I had no issues with clearance, but I didn't lower my car all that drastically. Did have an off-road excursion at Sebring and it never touched anything. Around town might be a different scenario, especially with a "slammed" 914.

To Zach's point, we also overfill about another quart when AXing/on track. So that's a total of about 1.5 extra quarts. Again, no issues with low oil pressure with it this way, and that's without an Accusump.

Now that is really interesting, so you have had no issues with over filling? I have always had the thought overfilling could be just as detrimental, not as bad as no oil obviously, but still effect pressure and what not.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Apr 21 2016, 04:38 PM) *

Now that is really interesting, so you have had no issues with over filling? I have always had the thought overfilling could be just as detrimental, not as bad as no oil obviously, but still effect pressure and what not.

Nope, no issues, and I've tossed the car quite a bit on DOT 180 TW tires, which aren't all that far off from slicks these days.

I can't take credit for the overfill thing, it's a fairly well-known trick around here. I do run a breather-> puke bottle setup, but I haven't even seen a drop of oil in the puke bottle. There might be some in the catch can/breather, but I haven't checked honestly.
Alphaogre
Had a Great AX session yesterday! Car ran great and still runs great! No issues and the extra torque and RPMs from the new cam made a huge difference. I was able to stay in 3rd for most of the course and carry speed. Got the top time in my class...

The only issue was the tires heat cycled out really quickly, especially in the mid day runs where the pavement was hot. Need to look into some better ones. I have heard the toyo Proxies are pretty good for grip and wearability. idea.gif

Click to view attachment
Geezer914
I added a Scat 1.5 qt. deep sump. Engine runs cool and no oil pressure issues. 5 qts. with filter.
Mugs914
Way to go Chris!! smilie_pokal.gif Were you running that same old set of tires? Those things are only a little softer that the pavement! Very well done...

BTW - Sorry I missed the get together at your place a couple of weeks ago. I was out of town for the weekend and didn't get your message until Monday morning. Next time for sure!

Mike
Cuda911
That was a fun autocross!!

The guy in the yellow 914 kept getting way off course.

I guess he was a newbie, and that was one of the toughest courses I have seen.

See you at the next one on June 12?

Mugs, I need to talk to you about a Pertronix upgrade. Will call you soon.
Mugs914
Give me a call or stop by Mike. I have some fan belt for you, by the way...

Mugs
Alphaogre
Yea, I had a family issue so I missed last weekends AX. Still running the same shitty tires, 2 laps to warm up, 1 lap of a good possible run and they are heat cycled out by the 4th lap... biggrin.gif

I liked that open style course, I am still trying to pull the the GoPro footage, Ill post once I get a chance.
Alphaogre
QUOTE(Mugs914 @ May 17 2016, 09:44 PM) *

Way to go Chris!! smilie_pokal.gif Were you running that same old set of tires? Those things are only a little softer that the pavement! Very well done...

BTW - Sorry I missed the get together at your place a couple of weeks ago. I was out of town for the weekend and didn't get your message until Monday morning. Next time for sure!

Mike

Yea you missed out! Next time for sure...
Click to view attachment
Cuda911
QUOTE(Mugs914 @ May 18 2016, 07:08 AM) *

Give me a call or stop by Mike. I have some fan belt for you, by the way...

Mugs

Will do. I have been crazy busy with work... 16 hour days for the last few weeks.

When I get a breather I'll stop by.
Alphaogre
Made it to the recent AX down here in SD, they are doing a concept with the course being more open and you just have to hit gates that are set up. This works better for me since I can create a wider flowing line in trying to carry my speed.

Definitely need to look to new tires, I got one good lap by the time they heat up and then overheat.

Anyway, here is the recent run, I know they can be boring so I added some entertainment to the video biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDVL7ByZ8jA

Loving the new motor with increased RPM's!
preach
I love the events at Quallcomm.

Sorry to hear about your motor.
Alphaogre
Yea the events at the Q are pretty good, it's why I keep hoping the new stadium vote keeps dying biggrin.gif

Had some hardships with the motor, but the car is better now than it ever would have been, so lemons to lemonade!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.