914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Was wondering why so many cars were at this station in Sunset Beach this am
mepstein
We're getting used to $1.60's. smile.gif
iamchappy
$1.44 this morning
Mueller
I'm in Covington, LA right now, $1.42 across the street.

Going to FL* tonight, will see what the prices are there

*Disney World!
r_towle
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 8 2016, 12:01 PM) *

*Disney World!

gotta be the lowest on the east coast....there are no shipping charges in LA....its a hose connected directly to the refineries.

Rich
MJHanna
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 8 2016, 11:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 8 2016, 12:01 PM) *

*Disney World!

gotta be the lowest on the east coast....there are no shipping charges in LA....its a hose connected directly to the refineries.

Rich

My cars run Premium and its running $1.98-1.95 reg is around 1.45
PlantMan
You all are living the gasoline dream!
Still over $2 in So Cal other than where Jim took the pic. I should drive 20mins to fill-up on cheap gas!
Elliot Cannon
Enjoy it while it lasts. Because it won't. smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 8 2016, 09:49 AM) *
Enjoy it while it lasts. Because it won't. smile.gif

My oil stock hopes you're right ...
biggrin.gif
Vysoc
$1.79 in Southwest Florida most other parts of Florida are 10 cents less.

Vysoc flag.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Took this right now while eating lunch.

IPB Image
tweet
In my county, from south to north the range is $1.77 - $2.29 most places for regular unleaded.
Miami-Dade County, Florida
It is more expensive in South Florida than the rest of the state.
Tom_T
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 8 2016, 09:04 AM) *

Rich

No Rich,

It's actually connected through the cheating oil companies' HQs first, where it goes in cheap, then mysteriously comes out $1+ higher along with claims that CA gas is harder to manufacture/refine, oh the refiner is down for maintenance, etc., etc.!

The current scam BS on CA gas prices is nothing new though, cuz I worked for Texaco at their Wilshire Blvd. Western HQ in 72-74 as one of my college part time jobs drawing map trips (remember those free vacation trip map request postcards at the Texaco gas stations?), which was during the first "Oil Crisis".

We were all commiserating over the even-odd every other day gas & max. 10 gals per fill-up & gas going from $0.25-0.28/gal to $0.85-1.00 IN A WEEK - when one of the petro-engineers from "upstairs" came in for some maps & overheard us, so he told us it was all a put-on & took us upstairs & showed us reports of all the refined gas being stored in the tanks usually filled with crude, tankers doing circuits in the ocean until "the crisis" had passed, etc. I have a buddy whose Dad worked the rigs in the Gulf who also corraborated that he saw 100's of tankers sea-anchored in the Gulf on his helicopter flights to/from the rigs back then.

It was an utter fabrication & market manipulation then, as is the higher CA gas now. The CA Attorney General got wind of it back then & took Texaco, Shell, Chevron, Exxon, etc. to court on charges - which they won the case against big oil about a decade later - & each oil company was fined $1000! .....NO, I did not forget any zeros!

Today, OPEC & the Saudis have decided that too expensive oil makes shale, tar sands, fracking, well steam injection, etc. too viable - making US & Canadian oil competitive .... & worse - self-sufficient .... so they've turned on the spigots to drive the prices down & close up those operations in US/Canada. So yeah, it'll go back up again, when they're satisfied that enough supply from here is shut down, but only so much higher that they can't restart.

As my MBA Macro-Econ professor used to say about OPEC & oil: "market manipulation at its finest!"

So bend over bootyshake.gif & get ready to be sheeplove.gif ...again! mad.gif

... to borrow from a song back then...
Oh Happy Days .... for now! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

PS - I was wondering when ole buddy Curt would chime in with Okie prices! biggrin.gif

.... CA has always been held ransom at higher prices - even before Cal-EPA was around, & despite healthy oil production & refining right here! The ransom now is $1.00-1.50! dry.gif

BTW - More recently, going from $1.00 gas in CA in 2000 up to $4.00+ in the mid-2000's was 400% in a few years - rather than a week - so I huess they think they can eak it up & we won't scream & moan as bad while we're being sheeplove.gif ! dry.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 8 2016, 10:21 AM) *

Took this right now while eating lunch.

Dang Curt! .... if I recognize that station & the fence in the foreground - you're having BBQ right now!! drooley.gif chowtime.gif

Best! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
BobMC914
Tom, LA here means Louisiana, not Los Angeles, close to ports, the gulf, Texas, and lots of refineries.

As someone in the oil industry lucky to still be employed, I'm happy to be paying less, but praying the prices go way back up.

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 8 2016, 01:32 PM) *

Rich

No Rich,

It's actually connected through the cheating oil companies' HQs first, where it goes in cheap, then mysteriously comes out $1+ higher along with claims that CA gas is harder to manufacture/refine, oh the refiner is down for maintenance, etc., etc.!

The current scam BS on CA gas prices is nothing new though, cuz I worked for Texaco at their Wilshire Blvd. Western HQ in 72-74 as one of my college part time jobs drawing map trips (remember those free vacation trip map request postcards at the Texaco gas stations?), which was during the first "Oil Crisis".

We were all commiserating over the even-odd every other day gas & max. 10 gals per fill-up & gas going from $0.25-0.28/gal to $0.85-1.00 IN A WEEK - when one of the petro-engineers from "upstairs" came in for some maps & overheard us, so he told us it was all a put-on & took us upstairs & showed us reports of all the refined gas being stored in the tanks usually filled with crude, tankers doing circuits in the ocean until "the crisis" had passed, etc. I have a buddy whose Dad worked the rigs in the Gulf who also corraborated that he saw 100's of tankers sea-anchored in the Gulf on his helicopter flights to/from the rigs back then.

It was an utter fabrication & market manipulation then, as is the higher CA gas now. The CA Attorney General got wind of it back then & took Texaco, Shell, Chevron, Exxon, etc. to court on charges - which they won the case against big oil about a decade later - & each oil company was fined $1000! .....NO, I did not forget any zeros!

Today, OPEC & the Saudis have decided that too expensive oil makes shale, tar sands, fracking, well steam injection, etc. too viable - making US & Canadian oil competitive .... & worse - self-sufficient .... so they've turned on the spigots to drive the prices down & close up those operations in US/Canada. So yeah, it'll go back up again, when they're satisfied that enough supply from here is shut down, but only so much higher that they can't restart.

As my MBA Macro-Econ professor used to say about OPEC & oil: "market manipulation at its finest!"

Tom
///////

PS - I was wondering when ole buddy Curt would chime in with Okie prices! biggrin.gif

.... CA has always been held ransom at higher prices - even before Cal-EPA was around, & despite healthy oil production & refining right here! The ransom now is $1.00-1.50! dry.gif

BTW - More recently, going from $1.00 gas in CA in 2000 up to $4.00+ in the mid-2000's was 400% in a few years - rather than a week - so I huess they think they can eak it up & we won't scream & moan as bad while we're being sheeplove.gif ! dry.gif

pdlightning
QUOTE(BobMC914 @ Feb 8 2016, 10:50 AM) *

Tom, LA here means Louisiana, not Los Angeles, close to ports, the gulf, Texas, and lots of refineries.

As someone in the oil industry lucky to still be employed, I'm happy to be paying less, but praying the prices go way back up.

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 8 2016, 01:32 PM) *

Rich

No Rich,

Tom
///////

So. Cal has prices ranging from $2.55 at Arco, no credit cards to $3.19 at the higher priced neighborhoods. They want to raise it further with more taxes to pay for more bridges for the homeless to sleep under!
Tom_T

I hear ya Bob! ... & agree with you on the jobs & healthy business angle.

My "PS" bit on the current situation with OPEC/Saudi was getting to your point, since many states with the more expensive means of extraction are suffering high unemployment in the oil industry - after the boom. I see all sorts of distressed real estate for sale ads from those regions every day!

However, to most in the rest of the world outside of Louisiana, "LA" means Los Angeles! laugh.gif ... sorry, but that's the facts!

No slam on your LA, as I have loads of buddies in your neck, as well as transplants out here, & I LOVE Mudbugs, Gator & Cajun food! drooley.gif chowtime.gif

Not against employment & fair market pricing, just against artificial price manipulation .... but we here in CA get screwed on the gas prices, as evidenced from my history above & the current prices around the US.

I'm not in petro at all - other than filling up the car, but my Dad was a petro-chemical chemist with Koppers & Whittaker for years (urethane varnish & paints come off his patents).

I just happened to help pay for college with that Texaco job while studying Architecture (I work in real estate development/consulting, design/planning, etc. since), since I'd done road trips with the family San Diego to Pittsburgh every year & other places - so I actually knew where to rout people (most of my coworker students there didn't & had to ask).

Best! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(pdlightning @ Feb 8 2016, 11:08 AM) *

So. Cal has prices ranging from $2.55 at Arco, no credit cards to $3.19 at the higher priced neighborhoods. They want to raise it further with more taxes to pay for more bridges for the homeless to sleep under!

Actually that's a Federal proposal too - so it would be a tax nationwide, but then we have crumbling infrastructure with bridges falling down all over the country - not just here in CA.

Here in CA - primarily SoCal & Bay Area/beyond, we have the added problem of freeway/road construction not keeping pace with population & employment growth, ergo the humongous log-jammed traffic jams during "Rush Day/Night" - no longer just rush hour(s)!

The gas tax thing is a double edged sword - like the gas prices overall, as noted above - where the higher CAFE MPG requirements with all cars getting far better mpg, ends up with less gas sold - ergo less tax revenues, so they're caught in a dilemma.

Unfortunately, it's either taxes or tolls to keep up the roads & highways/freeways we all love to drive on! .... & tolls add on higher interest costs for the private financing or public bond financing - on top of the cost of (re-) construction!

Like that old movie - it's a Catch 22! dry.gif

Okay .... who took my soap box!? dry.gif biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
r_towle
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 8 2016, 02:22 PM) *

I hear ya Bob! ... & agree with you on the jobs & healthy business angle.

My "PS" bit on the current situation with OPEC/Saudi was getting to your point, since many states with the more expensive means of extraction are suffering high unemployment in the oil industry - after the boom. I see all sorts of distressed real estate for sale ads from those regions every day!

However, to most in the rest of the world outside of Louisiana, "LA" means Los Angeles! laugh.gif ... sorry, but that's the facts!

No slam on your LA, as I have loads of buddies in your neck, as well as transplants out here, & I LOVE Mudbugs, Gator & Cajun food! drooley.gif chowtime.gif

Not against employment & fair market pricing, just against artificial price manipulation .... but we here in CA get screwed on the gas prices, as evidenced from my history above & the current prices around the US.

I'm not in petro at all - other than filling up the car, but my Dad was a petro-chemical chemist with Koppers & Whittaker for years (urethane varnish & paints come off his patents).

I just happened to help pay for college with that Texaco job while studying Architecture (I work in real estate development/consulting, design/planning, etc. since), since I'd done road trips with the family San Diego to Pittsburgh every year & other places - so I actually knew where to rout people (most of my coworker students there didn't & had to ask).

Best! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I was replying to Mike who as in LA to enjoy mardi gras....(see previous posts)

Unless they move mardi gras, and the gulf of mexico recently, I believe that area, and others close to refineries will still experience lower prices than those of us who must ship it in.

As far as OPEC goes....they are much less powerful than they were in the past, and that is a great thing for the world economy.

Seems to be a standard adjustment in prices that was bound to happen...

Rich
jacquot
Been paying under $2.00 for diesel for a few weeks now here in soCal.
Love my TDI.
By the way, Tom, I knew that I remembered you from somewhere.
I was with Texaco Inc., Newport Beach district office from '70 until '74, that
must be it. Jacquot
Mueller
Yes, Louisiana. ...on vacation smile.gif
PlantMan
I am a believer that our low prices here is actually the US's way of sticking it to the Middle East, primarily ISIS, Iran, etc for all the crap going on there. Less money to make from expensive oil and one other reason that the US's chief export is again oil. Flood the market with as much oil as you can.
I am also a big believer that we should use up everyone else's oil before using ours.
...but again I am just a landscape architect and not a politician.
biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
$1.89 in Sacramento, higher in Nevada believe it or not! blink.gif
7TPorsh
Still $2.60 + in LALA land....Los Anjeless
Well, we can enjoy lower gas prices while the stock market continues to drop and drag down one's 401.
r_towle
QUOTE(396 @ Feb 8 2016, 05:47 PM) *

Well, we can enjoy lower gas prices while the stock market continues to drop and drag down one's 401.

That just proves that the stock market is rigged.
In reality, economic forecasts of every market that uses oil, trucking, food, everyone, should be going up and stock prices are supposed to be tied to future earnings.

Oil prices drop, operational costs go down, profit increases.
More disposable income for people to spend on things besides oil....

It should help boost the economy.

The stock market is not real, but long term reality will pull it back up ounces we see more retail sales, and higher earnings for the base commodities.
somd914
Regular is running low $1.60s out here, but premium is running around $2.20. Go figure, for many years as gas first climber through the $2 point and up over $4 around here, premium typically ran $0.15-$0.25 a gallon more. Don't understand the large delta now, especially after spending the last two weeks in San Diego where premium was typically $0.15 more.

No matter, gas is but a small part of our budget, even with four drivers, probably true for most, yet, like postage stamps, a small increase in price and people complain loudly. But I watched natural gas prices fluctuate wildly for fourteen years in our last house, and now propane for the last two years in this house. With natural gas we witnessed upwards of $150/month differences over a course of a few years for the same consumption, yet not a word out of the public.
EdwardBlume
2.69 for premium in Danville this AM. Got to love that special CA gas.
tweet
QUOTE(PlantMan @ Feb 8 2016, 03:58 PM) *

I am a believer that our low prices here is actually the US's way of sticking it to the Middle East, primarily ISIS, Iran, etc for all the crap going on there. Less money to make from expensive oil and one other reason that the US's chief export is again oil. Flood the market with as much oil as you can.
I am also a big believer that we should use up everyone else's oil before using ours.
...but again I am just a landscape architect and not a politician.
biggrin.gif
If the U.S. really wanted to stick it to other countries we would have mandated laws and funded alternatives to gasoline powered engines. About 100 years ago 1/3 of cars were gas. 1/3 were steam, and 1/3 were gas powered. But, when this was happening the likes of oil magnets and monopolies were all the rage. Guess who won out? It wasn't the guys who control water... wait, no one controlled water back then because it was ludicrous, but they sell water today don't they. As for running out of oil, we will all be dust before that happens. The shortages are fiction of market manipulation as someone else mentioned. They are actually sticking it to us right now. The effect this will have is that the oil sand companies here and in Canada will cease operation. They need oil to be at a certain price point to operate in the black. What effect due you think all this will have in Canada and here in the oil related business and all other ancillary businesses? The same effect it had with mortgages and banking in 2008 and beyond if they do it long enough. Take the money that you are saving on gas and whatever else and save it, because you will need it later when you lose your non-oil related job. This is the other shoe dropping.
malcolm2
Be on the look out for a $10 a barrel EXECUTIVE ORDER in the next 12 months. BHO does not even have any Dems saying they will vote for a gas tax. That means XO is coming.

I wish we would just use our own oil and be done with all this WORLD MARKET crap.

If all these alternative fuels were going to become viable, someone would have made them work (without govm'nt $) when gas prices were $4/gal. This is just BHO trying to push it along with an oil tax. Govm'nt just needs to stay the hell out of it on either end....

Don't give any tax $ to anyone, corn, windmills, solar, coal, oil nobody needs any help. Let's just let the system work. If there is a TRUE demand, someone will make it work.
Chris H.
Click to view attachment

Got this on the way home last night...of course premium is $.60-$.90 more but it's CHEAP for Chicago area. Topped up my daughter's Civic for $10. TEN DOLLARS!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.