Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing dash face vinyl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
80cap
Do you need to drop the steering wheel to fit the metal backing plate onto to the dash?
I want to instal the vinyl to the backing plate then using double sided 3m tape attach the plate to the main dash. Also the kit doesn't include a plate for the glove box door.
I assume it doesn't need it.
Thanks Brian
80cap
Anyone use this system?
mepstein
Steering wheel is a 25mm socket (I think) you loosen it most of the way, pull on the wheel to break it free and then take the nut off the rest of the way. Just gives you more room to work. No metal plate on the glove box door.
Darren C
If you are asking about the basket weave panel......YES the Steering column needs to be removed to do the job properly.

The metal backing panel is linked together across the top of the steering column so you cant get it off without removing the column or dare I say cutting it in two (which is NOT a long term good idea for the sake of another 15 minutes to take out the column two bolts and one universal joint bolt, especially as you'll have spent a good time taking out all the switches, knee roll, heater controls, cigarette lighter and radio!)
You also ideally need to take the glovebox door off to do a good job recovering it, especially the return fold over.
Mikey914
Yes, it's a pain, but you do need to remove it.
malcolm2
I need to do this too. I assume you just remove everything attached to the panel, (fresh air controls, knobs, cig lighter, knee pad, etc...glue the vinyl on.... wait a while, then re-install all the knobs, etc.... That does sound like a pain, wish I had done it when I had it all apart a few years back.
lsintampa
I just did mine and yes you need to "drop" the steering wheel. Removing all the light switches and the heater control is obviously mandatory.

BTW - when you have to deal with that heater control assembly, the best thing is to remove the two cables that connect to the left front air valve controller - just make sure you label them. Disconnect from the front hood - then pull them into the cabin.

Then remove only the one cable inside (top level of the heater control assembly).

That seemed to be the easiest way.

Label all wires - I have one ground wire now that I'm not sure where it goes. If I run it directly to ground - my fresh air blower light is constant on - regardless of position of the blower motor switch. I think that it grounds to the assembly somewhere.

Anyway back to the wheel situation. Best to lower the whole thing. Unbolt the 4 bolts that hold it up then you have to wiggle fit the face on.

Worked for me that way.

Good luck!

Len

QUOTE(80cap @ Feb 8 2016, 05:35 PM) *

Do you need to drop the steering wheel to fit the metal backing plate onto to the dash?
I want to instal the vinyl to the backing plate then using double sided 3m tape attach the plate to the main dash. Also the kit doesn't include a plate for the glove box door.
I assume it doesn't need it.
Thanks Brian

914Sixer
75-76 DOES NOT have a metal plate like the early cars. The material is heat sealed on to some sort of stiff plastic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.