Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carbon Fiber 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fiid
This is pretty inspiring. Since my car requires a paint job - this got me wondering.... RennSpeed sells CF and FG replacements for nearly all the 914 panels:

Hood, front fenders (w/flares), bumpers, rear decklid (w/ ducktail), door skins, rear quarters. That doesn't leave a lot left. Since I was planning on replacing the decklids anyway - would this be cheaper than actually having the car painted. I could rattle-can black any remaining exposed steel pieces.

Also - what additional framing would have to be added for a car with such an absence of steel? And how much weight loss do you think this would yield.

user posted image
fiid
Also - the peice under the license plate in this shot is a venturi tray no?

Could we build one of these to go under a 914? Might improve cooling as well as downforce by sucking more air out from under the car.

user posted image
riverman
Apparently there is also a carbon-fiber look-a-like matting that you can glue down. You could do the remaining panels in it and give your car the complete futuristic look.
fiid
I could actually just lay carbon fiber over remaining peices too. Would help seal water out :-) Epoxy resin and a skin of CF might actually be better than POR15 lol2.gif
Andyrew
If you want to spend the money... DO EEET!!!

I personally dont like CF or chrome....
bondo
I was thinking it would be super-nifty to take a 914 and drill out EVERY spot weld. Then take each piece and re-make it in carbon fiber, and bond it all back together again. That'd be sooo awesome. smile.gif
riverman
QUOTE (bondo @ Mar 20 2005, 01:17 PM)
take a 914 and drill out EVERY spot weld

I hope this club is still around in a million years. I'd love to see the result, but that's about how long it would take you.
fiid
you could do it by layering fg over the entire can and then spraying it with saltwater from the inside. The steel mold would rot away in about a week leaving a carbon fiber shell. Then you just beef up the CF from the inside - and you're done :-) LOL
chairfall.gif
Andyrew
lol

The funny thing is.. I bet it would work!
riverman
QUOTE (fiid @ Mar 20 2005, 01:23 PM)
you could do it by layering fg over the entire can and then spraying it with saltwater from the inside. The steel mold would rot away in about a week leaving a carbon fiber shell. Then you just beef up the CF from the inside - and you're done :-) LOL
chairfall.gif

chairfall.gif That's the funniest thing I've read since coming here! Good one.
neo914-6
Fiid,
That would be a sight to behold and cost a fortune. To get the Elise show quality, they must have made many pieces to make all adjoining patterns to match. Many exotic car manufacturers use CF throughtout their car but no one to my knowledge leaves them unpainted which begs the question...
Like chrome, the exposed CF pattern is used primarily for esthetics.
i love porsche
i dont like the look of unpainted CF when its only a hood or something, but if the entire body is carbon fiber....wow! it looks awesome, i say go for it, and you can save a ton of weight!
Brando
That elise might be CF on the outside... But i bet it's still aluminum frame/subframe on the inside.
physician
they only replace the outer body.. but they suposedly save 101 kg.. aroubd 230 pounds.... aktion035.gif
ok made some search, they only keep the frame.. the underpan, interieor trim, enture doors.. and everuthing exept chassis is carbon fiber..

but it suposedly cost ober 10K$ usd..... but hey, you end with a 1600 pounds car mueba.gif and look awesome! on a teener, i would keep some chrome moldind on( or replace with polished aluminium) sail panels and around window.... and on fuchs wheels.... to create contrast would be nice clap.gif

now time to save money!

so watch on ebay soon for 1 kidney...... lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.