Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 916 on eBay ... fake alert ???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
there's a guy who claims to have the Peter Gregg 916 (9142330012)
unfortunately he doesn't tell us the real VIN ... I doubt that's the original car idea.gif
I wonder about George's opinion laugh.gif

eBay 4537129399
DuckRyder
Vehicle Description  

Porsche 916-C 1971 ( only 11 were built). This beautiful "MACHINE"  was built for Peter Gregg in 1981 to drive because He didn't want  to drive his  "REAL ONE". the engine started as a 911-E with "S"  cams and webers. The only part that is not exact is the steering  column because they wanted it to LOCK.

confused24.gif confused24.gif

scottb
ad essentially says this was made for peter so he wouldn't have to drive his "real one"....

so yes, it is a fake..... but it sure looks purty......
bondo
Huh, I wonder if this is the same one that was advertized in the Sacramento Bee a while back.
Andyrew
Porsche 916-C 1971 ( only 11 were built). This beautiful "MACHINE"  was built for Peter Gregg in 1981 to drive because He didn't want  to drive his  "REAL ONE". the engine started as a 911-E with "S"  cams and webers. The only part that is not exact is the steering  column because they wanted it to LOCK.

Sounds like it isnt a real one.

Targa doesnt look welded.

Key is not on the left (dont know if it should...)

Interior is right on though.. No vents....leather dash...

Dont remember all the details of a real one.. but those are the ones that stand out.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Mar 20 2005, 01:40 PM)
Porsche 916-C 1971 ( only 11 were built)....the engine started as a 911-E with "S"  cams and webers. The only part that is not exact is the steering  column because they wanted it to LOCK.

Key is not on the left (dont know if it should...)

916's were not made in 1971.
they had 210-HP 2,7 RS MFI engines.
they DID have key-on-right columns, IIRC, like all '72 914's (even /6's...)
they DID have front-mounted oil coolers - that's where the goofy front bumper came from.

and you are correct: no welded steel roof, no 916...
skline
Well, he does state that is was made so he didnt have to drive his real one. Removeable top says not a 916. I would still like to have it, nice car!!
Gustl
I just got George's reply:

Hi Wolfgang.  We owned that car and had reconditioned it in the 90s WE did the interior the paint the engine and the floorpans.  It was white with fiberglass flares and we tried to make it match our 916.  Brumos had originally did it for a guy in the very early 80's

scruz914
The car is real close to a few member here. It might be fun to check out and report back.
Gustl
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Mar 20 2005, 08:00 PM)
916's were not made in 1971.
they had 210-HP 2,7 RS MFI engines.
they DID have key-on-right columns, IIRC, like all '72 914's (even /6's...)

not so sure about that user posted image

all 916 were built in 1971, but they got '72 VINs
all 916 have their ignition key on the left side
all 916 were primary supplied with the 190 PS 2.4 S engine, some got the engine changed to 2.7 RS later

dash view of 9142330018:
Gustl
dash view of 9142330016:
Gustl
dash view of 9142330017:
Gustl
dash view of 9142330019:
Gustl
dash view of 9142330011:
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Gustl B @ Mar 20 2005, 02:59 PM)
all 916 were built in 1971, but they got '72 VINs
all 916 have their ignition key on the left side
all 916 were primary supplied with the 190 PS 2.4 S engine, some got the engine changed to 2.7 RS later

i wasn't sure about some of those either.

thanks for setting the record straight ...
Brando
if it's a real 916, where's the extra headlamps attached to the front/hood?
redshift
I know that car, it's as nice as it looks, and way nicer as what it is, that what he blows it up to be.

I think the guy killed himself with the ad, the car is nice, and has always been nice.

M
Martin Baker
I was informed about this car from a good friend in Pro Motorsport. Its been for sale for a while, and I was told that the price is in the mid twenties range. It is somewhat local for me.
jd74914
This beautiful "MACHINE"  was built for Peter Gregg in 1981 to drive because He didn't want  to drive his  "REAL ONE". the engine started as a 911-E with "S"  cams and webers. The only part that is not exact is the steering  column because they wanted it to LOCK.

The ad itself says that the car is a fake biggrin.gif

It looks like a pretty good fake though. It even has the porsche cloth. Do you guys know if real 916's had an oil cooler in the front bumper cause this replica doesn't?
redshift
AA got 18.5k for a much closer to Gregg's 916 clone 2 years ago.

The fabric is wrong... and the other one had perfect interior, a perfect copy, minus the air.

M
jd74914
the real fabric is more of a blue color, right?
redshift
The seat inserts on the real one, and the AA clone, are now a graduated Porsche print, similar to that car, but graduated light, to dark, to light gray.

The original inserts were a bright purple paisley, with honking green, blue, and red accents.

MY EYES!

The reserved resto material is much more pleasing, and the original stuff says, "I have bell bottoms, and I like crappy music!".

M
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Brando @ Mar 20 2005, 03:20 PM)
if it's a real 916...

it isn't a real 916...

where's the extra headlamps attached to the front/hood?

headlights attached to the hood ?!? confused24.gif

Do you guys know if real 916's had an oil cooler in the front bumper cause this replica doesn't?

EWE says yes ... as do all the pictures i've seen. i saw a silver 916-esque car on the lot at Brumos as i came through Jax Beach in 1976 picking up my first 914.6 -- it was from a distance and i had no idea how rare they were then, or i'd have gone to look closer. but i was running late, noted it, and motored on ...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Mar 20 2005, 03:39 PM)
the real fabric is more of a blue color, right?

all those cars, originally, were pretty much made to order, for friends of the (Porsche) family and the factory. i think there were almost as many different original interiors as there were cars...
Gustl
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Mar 20 2005, 10:04 PM)
where's the extra headlamps attached to the front/hood?

headlights attached to the hood ?!? confused24.gif

I guess he thinks of these ones
as far as I know, 9142330018 was the only one with 'em
after the repaint to the well known geminiblue they were left behind ...

Aaron Cox
OE 916's had 2 bolts on each side visible on the bumper.....

repros dont...
vortrex
QUOTE (redshift @ Mar 20 2005, 12:36 PM)
AA got 18.5k for a much closer to Gregg's 916 clone 2 years ago.

The fabric is wrong... and the other one had perfect interior, a perfect copy, minus the air.

M

this is the car from AA. I talked to this guy on the phone about 1.5 years ago. it's a 914-4 conversion car. he got it from AA. it sounds nice but not worth mid 20's or whatever he wants for it now.
Gustl
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 21 2005, 07:36 AM)
OE 916's had 2 bolts on each side visible on the bumper.....

repros dont...

now here's my english knowledge too poor - could you explain this to me in a more simplified way? wacko.gif

vortrex
here's the other thread on this car from long ago.

OLD THREAD

CAR AD FROM WRECKED EXOTICS
redshift
It may be from AA at some point, but it's not the one that was copied near 100%. The one I am talking about is a one owner factory /6, with a transplanted 2.2 euro S motor.

They probably still have pictures up.

It has the same inserts as the Gregg car has now, and a perfect ugly leather dash, hanging on like a sharpei skin. Wrinkle pups!

LOL! I just read the old thread, same conversation.

-old feeble smiley-

M
Cap'n Krusty
And Peter Gregg isn't around to verify the story. How convnient. No key on left "because they wanted a steering lock"? Excuse me? The Cap'n, who thought he'd seen it all .........................................
boxstr
I think a rather strange thing is that they actually went to the trouble to remount the side marker lights, rather than elimnate them all together.
CCLIN????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.