Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time to get a real set of tires for track-only use
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aircooledtechguy
For full disclosure: This is for my modified VW Squareback and not the 914. Weight distribution for this car is very similar to a 911.

I'm looking to use a spare set of Boxster twist wheels that I currently have snow tires on as my permanent track wheels. They are a 17X7/8.5 staggered set. I'm looking at getting 225/45 in front and 255/40 in the rear. I'll pretty much will be using these specifically for events and not daily driving.

The tires I'm currently looking at are:

1. Toyo R888
2. Toyo RA1

These seem to be very popular at auto-x events and could be used at an occasional track day. I'd be interested in thoughts on these or even other brands that are sticky and work well with these types of events.
MJHanna
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Feb 9 2016, 02:40 PM) *

For full disclosure: This is for my modified VW Squareback and not the 914. Weight distribution for this car is very similar to a 911.

I'm looking to use a spare set of Boxster twist wheels that I currently have snow tires on as my permanent track wheels. They are a 17X7/8.5 staggered set. I'm looking at getting 225/45 in front and 255/40 in the rear. I'll pretty much will be using these specifically for events and not daily driving.

The tires I'm currently looking at are:

1. Toyo R888
2. Toyo RA1

These seem to be very popular at auto-x events and could be used at an occasional track day. I'd be interested in thoughts on these or even other brands that are sticky and work well with these types of events.

I hate the R888
I bought a set to run DE's when we instruct because I did not want to use the race tires for a DE. They don't stick that well and get squirmy when hot.

We have been running Kuhmos VR710 but they are not making them anymore and they don't know when they will have the replacement for it. So I'm leaning towards BF Goodrich g-Force R1 S.
toadman
I do an occasional autocross and an occasional DE weekend each year with my stock 914-4 but it is always just for fun.

As I understand it the rubber compounds used for autocross tires are different from the compounds used for track tires. Autocross tires need to heat up and get sticky quickly as a typical run is about 45 - 70 seconds with a peak top speed around 50 mph. I don't think it would be good for an autocross tire to be subjected to multiple 30-minute track driving sessions at a typical DE weekend where peak top speeds, at least in my case, approach 90 mph and the vast majority of each 30-minutes session is driven at speeds above 50 mph. Similarly, I think you would be hard pressed to "heat up" a track tire to a point where it gets nice and sticky if you only run it for about 60 seconds at a time, six or eight times over the whole day.

I use my street tires for autocross.

I use Hoosier Sports Car DOT Radial race tires for my DE events. I believe the current part number is 46502 in size 205/50/15. I have got to say there is magic in those Hoosier tires. It is almost unbelievable how well those things hold the pavement.
Racer
Hoosier A7 /R7
Khumo
BFG R1
Toyo RA1 and R888
Nitto NT01

I've run the RA1 over the years for DE/AX purposes. Not nearly as sticky as Hoosiers for AX, but that was my compromise. Fine tires to DD in nice weather and drive to/from the tracks on.

Depending on your car class, you may have a tire restriction. Always best to read a rulebook first.
yeahmag
I still like the Hankook Z214

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...del=Ventus+Z214
GregAmy
Nitto NT-01. I drove those on some spec RX-7s up here in New England and loved 'em. Not as sticky as my Hoosiers on the "real" race car, but much more forgivable with a much easier transition as you add in more slip angle (they don't fall off hard like the HoHos). The RX-7 guys swear they get faster as they wear. Plus you can buy them at Walmart.

That's what I'll be putting on the Vintage 914 Project.
Racer
fyi, the Nitto NT-01 and Toyo RA-1 are supposed to be the same tire. Nitto is owned by Toyo. compound is reportedly the same. RA1s get faster too as the tread wears down.
Krieger
I use the Toyo RR (for autocross and time trial) which is the same compound as the RA-1, but there is very litter rubber. I had heard they are phasing out the RA-1.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Racer @ Feb 9 2016, 06:23 PM) *

fyi, the Nitto NT-01 and Toyo RA-1 are supposed to be the same tire. Nitto is owned by Toyo. compound is reportedly the same. RA1s get faster too as the tread wears down.

RA-1's for me....got 'em shaved to 4/32 so hardly any tread left....used 'em for DE track days & they're great--last much longer than Hoosiers but not as sticky so YMMV.....put over 2000 track miles on 'em & no cording....but don't do AX's so can't say about that. I'm on Toyo RR's this year.....same as RA-1's.
r_towle
Hoosiers all the way
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.