Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Admit It, I Haven't Seen it All......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9

As a VW/Porsche professional, there are always a few things you think about. You know, common things you haven't done yet.

Go ahead and laugh: I'm changing my first swing-axle transmission today. 1965 T-34.

First, here are my thoughts on the swing-axle design: dry.gif

Here's where I need help: The left and right sides had different spacers between the wheel bearing and the hub.

Which one is correct? They are very different thicknesses, and one has an inside chamfer while the other has an outside.

I took them both off before I noticed the difference, so I can't tell you which was where. What I can tell you it the LR brakes were totally covered in gear oil.

Help, please.

beerchug.gif

Mark Henry
You need 2 of the left, the bevel goes against the axle.

The swing hardware changed over the years, there is also 3 different lengths of axles and tubes.
Just for shits and giggles check to see if both sides are the same length. smile.gif
914fahrer
Hello ,
one part look`s like this one.

https://www.deimosaircooled.com/split-scree...e-111-501-303-b

Gruss Ralf
Mark Henry
Sorry there is two per axle here's a good pic
I am right on the inner spacer, the bevel goes against the axle.

IPB Image
Mark Henry
Joe if you plan on servicing VW beetles get the 1966-1970 bentley manual as it covers both swing and IRS standard trans, plus autostick trannies.
Servicing beetles you can get away with just this one manual and the net.

I'd also get the Bentley transporter and vanagon manuals
All other aftermarket manuals suck.
Series9
Tubes are both 22 1/4"
Axles are both 28 3/8"
Series9
QUOTE(914fahrer @ Feb 10 2016, 03:08 PM) *

Hello ,
one part look`s like this one.

https://www.deimosaircooled.com/split-scree...e-111-501-303-b

Gruss Ralf

Yes, the thicker one is exactly that. Inner chamfer on one end and outer chamfer on the other.
Series9
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 10 2016, 03:28 PM) *

Joe if you plan on servicing VW beetles get the 1966-1970 bentley manual as it covers both swing and IRS standard trans, plus autostick trannies.
Servicing beetles you can get away with just this one manual and the net.

I'd also get the Bentley transporter and vanagon manuals
All other aftermarket manuals suck.

I have the Bentley for the Vans and Vanagon. I also found the same image you posted for this project, but nothing shows dimensions for the spacer.
Series9
I was really hoping the shorter one was correct.

I would have already been standing at the lathe... smile.gif
Series9

Nothing to see here.....

I went to the lathe anyway.

Chamfer added, spacer created.

Series9
Thank you for the help in determining which spacer was correct.

smile.gif
Series9

Whooops! Well that's not right.

Look at the picture and tell me possible causes. All spacers are installed and the drum rotates freely when installed until it seats against the outer bearing bushing.

I'll tell you right now, I want the answer to be "You have the wrong drum".

Are there drums that have different distances between inside drive flange and outside nut flange?

These both measure about 1.90". I think I can see why this car came in for rear end work. Keep in mind, it's a Type 3 Ghia (T34), so it may not necessarily interchange with T1 parts.

r_towle
I recall that the nose on the drums does have variation....
Maybe you do indeed have the wrong pasts.

When pressed in tight, does the back of the drum extend past the dust cover?
Meaning, does it look like it will rub on the suspension?

Also, how many washers do you have for the outside?

I have a few beetles and 356 in the back, and for sure the drums all look different, several beetle ones look different with nose length being the main thing I can see.
Series9
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 13 2016, 11:35 AM) *

I recall that the nose on the drums does have variation....
Maybe you do indeed have the wrong pasts.

When pressed in tight, does the back of the drum extend past the dust cover?
Meaning, does it look like it will rub on the suspension?

Also, how many washers do you have for the outside?

I have a few beetles and 356 in the back, and for sure the drums all look different, several beetle ones look different with nose length being the main thing I can see.

It appears to not just be the nose. I placed a bushing on the outside and tightened it up.

Wouldn't turn once tight, so interior spacing is definitely an issue.

Here's another picture of the previously identified correct spacer installed in the bearing cap. Looks short, doesn't it?

I need a measurement on that spacer. Anyone?
914fahrer
I found this for a rear drum,sorry only in german

Baugruppe: Bremsanlage
Mengeneinheit: Satz
Aussendurchmesser: 262,5 mm
Nabenbohrung-Ø: 26,4 mm
Lochkreis-Ø 1: 130 mm
Bohrbild/Lochzahl: 4/4

Höhe: 93,75 mm This is the height

Dicke/Stärke: 230 mm
Mindestdicke: 231,5 mm
Gewicht: 6,1 kg
r_towle
Just for grins, look at th front drums versus the rear drums.
Series9
And then....

The bearing cap is none of these:

Series9
And then.....

The rear drums have Type I part numbers. The parts catalog for the car calls for a 311 part number.
Mark Henry
Hmmmm... The T34 is an oddball.

The 5 bolt drums were usually on swing axles, I can see by the spring plates that this is an IRS suspension/axle set-up...or am I wrong?

If the drum is centered on the shoes correctly you can just make a spacer for the end of the stub. I have a spacer on mine because I have a adapted assembly on my bug.

On the VW part numbers:
A VW Type may not have the part numbers for the specific type of car.
So if a regular type one number (111,113) fits a type 2 bus they don't change the part number.
But then if a type 3 part is used on a later beetle improvement then the type1 beetle will have a part with a type 3 part number on it.

Example a VW T1 superbeetle front wheel cylinder is part #361-611-067-A, the number starts with 3 because it was originally a T3 rear wheel cylinder.
Series9
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 13 2016, 01:29 PM) *

Hmmmm... The T34 is an oddball.

The 5 bolt drums were usually on swing axles, I can see by the spring plates that this is an IRS suspension/axle set-up...or am I wrong?

If the drum is centered on the shoes correctly you can just make a spacer for the end of the stub. I have a spacer on mine because I have a adapted assembly on my bug.

On the VW part numbers:
A VW Type may not have the part numbers for the specific type of car.
So if a regular type one number (111,113) fits a type 2 bus they don't change the part number.
But then if a type 3 part is used on a later beetle improvement then the type1 beetle will have a part with a type 3 part number on it.

Example a VW T1 superbeetle front wheel cylinder is part #361-611-067-A, the number starts with 3 because it was originally a T3 rear wheel cylinder.

Oh no, it's a swing-axle. I can turn some spacers to make it work, I just can't believe it came in like this. I have to assume the T3 hub was fatter.
r_towle
Fire up the lathe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.