Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this rubber part available?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jack20
Hello,
I haven't seen this grommet available on Mark's site. Does anyone know if is available or will I need to replace the entire unit?
Thanks,
JackClick to view attachment
Tom_T
I assume you're talking about the boot at the taco plate for the oil pressure sender at the center of your flashlight beam?

AFAIK nobody is making them as repros yet, but you might find a better used one on here.

You might try finding a close match in a similar 911/912 or 411/412 VW OP sender which might fit.

Check in an old Parts Exchange Catalog for VW & Porsche - if you can find one, to see if any are an exact match to widen your options in both used & new/NOS..

Also, I know some folks have had luck with some of those home DIY rubber molding kits, but I can't speak to that for making a one-off repro part.

Hopefully 3d printing will make such repro parts in flexible rubber - as well as other NLA parts in many other materials - in the near future.

PS - As a temp fix you could also remove that boot, clean the grease off of it completely, then use some silicone or other rubber adhesive (e.g.: Permatex rubber window gasket adhesive, etc. from the FLAPS - try to get oil resistant type) to repair the old one from the inside - perhaps using some black cloth electrical tape or nylon mesh as a strengthening patch on the inside surface for any tears - adhesive-screen~embedded-adhesive - to hold you over. Let it cure completely for 2-400% of the normal cure time before trying to reinstall, so it's as sturdy as possible before any stretching & working it over the wires/connectors & the boot over the taco plate flange. It may not look perfect, but it should seal the connectors off for now.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
bperry
AutoAtlanta has them.
TacoPlate boot
jack20
Thanks very much. I think I'll try the AA route first. Not much of a risk for $6.
Jack
Mikey914
Just going through some old threads
These are available we even make them complete with a harness

Grommets only at

$2.40 EACH!!!

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/o...rness-grommet-1

dr914@autoatlanta.com
you are right not much of a risk, you actually do not need it, there is no risk that oil will leak out of that hole

QUOTE(jack20 @ Feb 11 2016, 09:29 AM) *

Thanks very much. I think I'll try the AA route first. Not much of a risk for $6.
Jack

bobboinski
I found a rubber grommet at the local hardware store. Keeps the wire from the metal edge of the hole in the taco plate.
Mikey914
Here’s a pic. Just like the OEM part
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.