Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Round Fog Lamp Exploded View
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFix
I've been restoring a pair of pre '75 round OEM fog lamps I bought used and in pieces. I've cleaned and repainted everything, and with the help of Karl's repro seals am ready to reassemble.

I'm guessing the wire spring clips are supposed to hold the lens/reflector assembly to the front bezel, but haven't figured out how they accomplish that task.

Also, does the seal go around both the lens and reflector, holding them together as an assembly?

Any guidance or links to an exploded view?

Thanks!!

Katmanken
Exploded view in the parts book shows......

Place lens in ring, place seal in next, place reflector in last sandwitching the seal. As I recall, the spring clips fit in under the rolled edge of the ring and push forward on the back edge of the reflector to compress the seal. Look for wear marks on the back of your reflector for clues/locations/orientations of the spring clips.

Hope that helps,

Ken
davep
The seal is only on the glass lens.
Put the seal on the lens and drop into the bezel. I beleive there is a notch in the back edge of the bezel. It goes down I think. Check the back cover and clip.
Drop in the reflector.
Secure the assembly with the wire springs. The wire ends go up into the back of the bezel while the center pushes on the reflector.
ChrisFix
Thank you and thank you!!

Got the seal on the lens, the reflector then fits around the lens and seal. The lens/relfector assembly fits in the bezel (bezel has a small orientation notch that receives ridge on lens) and the wire springs hold it in nice and tight.

There isn't any seal between the lamp housing and the bezel/lens/reflector assembly which seems weird. Perhaps it is protected enough by it's location?

The Haynes manual, says to remove the bumper to install the fog light, but that can't be right. I've removed the grille and I see the hole in the bottom of the grille opening that looks like it is for for an attachement bolt. Is that where the bracket attaches? There is very little space between the bottom of the bumper and the front valance. What kind of bolt are you supposed to use to attach the lamp bracket to the car?

Thanks again.
rhodyguy
do you mean this one? i'm sure i will be taking mine apart.

k
rhodyguy
asdf
rhodyguy
that's the same manual that's tells you that the whole strut assembly has to be removed to change the strut cartridge. wacko.gif what did you polish the lens with?

k
davep
There is not much protection. The metal back always seems to rot. I forget the bolt exactly, but an 8mm shank with Allen key head comes to mind.
Removing the bumper may not be necessary, but there is little room. It also forces you to ensure the bumper mount bolts are not seized (again).
jfort
i cut out the bottom of the hole, started the bolt, slid down the mounting bracket and then tightened it with a ball-end hex key. only way i could figure to do it without removing the bumper.
ChrisFix
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 20 2005, 05:01 PM)
do you mean this one? i'm sure i will be taking mine apart.

k

Thank you, but no. I mean the bolt that holds the mounting bracket to the bumper. My fogs came with all the hardware including two hex head bolts to attach the mounting bracket to the car that are too large in diameter to fit through the holes that exist in the bumper (bottom of the grille cut-out) - unless there is somewhere else this is supposed to attach. Is the mounting bracket attached with a nut and bolt through the hole in the bottom of the grille cut-out, or is there a blind nut that I'm not seeing?
Qarl
There is a hex-head bolt that attaches through the bracket in the photo above.

There should be a thread hole on the sheet metal of the car behind the grille. You obviously have to take the grill off to get inside there.
Qarl
Here...

ChrisFix
QUOTE (Qarl @ Mar 20 2005, 06:45 PM)
There is a hex-head bolt that attaches through the bracket in the photo above.

There should be a thread hole on the sheet metal of the car behind the grille.  You obviously have to take the grill off to get inside there.

Ahhhh....got it. I was looking at a different mount point entirely. I don't have my fog light grilles yet, so I didn't have anything to gauge where in the opening they belong. I wasn't looking at the correct mounting point because those mounting holes already have the mounting bolts installed in them from the factory (even on cars without factory fog lights). I now see why the first instruction in Haynes is to remove the bumper! The bolt head is partially obscured by the bumper.

Thank you! pray.gif

By the way, the seals fit and look great!
Korijo
QUOTE (ChrisFix @ Mar 20 2005, 07:15 PM)

Thank you! pray.gif

do you need new bulbs? HALOGEN BULBS??

LMK biggrin.gif
ChrisFix
QUOTE (Korijo @ Mar 20 2005, 11:43 PM)
QUOTE (ChrisFix @ Mar 20 2005, 07:15 PM)

Thank you! pray.gif

do you need new bulbs? HALOGEN BULBS??

LMK biggrin.gif

I have new OEM 35W OSRAM bulbs. Are there halogen upgrades that fit the OEM round fog lights?
rhodyguy
so you're adding a set of light searly lights? the nut on the body is a captured nut, it sort of floats with a bracket of some sort on the back side. guys retro fitting the early style lights have to adapt and drill.

k
ChrisFix
Yes, I've found the factory mounting holes. They already have bolts intalled from the factory, so they didn't look to me like they were available mounting holes for the fogs - I figured the bolts were holding something together! Anyway, I have the OEM mounting bracket with the fog lights, I just need to pull the bolt that's already on the car and put it through the bracket and I'm done (I hope). I've wired up a light already (un-installed) and it works fine, so the hard stuff should be behind me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.