Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
914Next
Had the original springs replaced pn my '73 2.0 a few weeks ago due to rear end sag. Finally got around to picking up the originals from Checkpoint Auto. Wanted to keep them since the car is so original.

Was really surprised at the fact that they are in such excellent condition. Also noticed as I was looking at them that there appears to be some green paint on them. The car was undercoated and it looks like there is some undercoating on the spring but green paint underneath? Anyone know what that is?

Thanks.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Steve,

That was to ID that they were the 90# OE springs for the 2.0s, as used at the factory so that Hans & Fritz hopefully got the right ones on the correct car!

However, my 88 Westy also had painted-dab codes on it's springs from the factory, & in 2012 for the rolling resto when my mechanic changed out its OE springs we found that they'd put in the wrong "normal duty" springs for the non-camper Westy (i.e.: tin-top Vanagon springs) on the driver's side & correct HD Westy springs on the passenger side - explaining an odd "Lean" it had since new & which the original dealer claimed was normal & not a problems (a-holes! mad.gif ).

If you look at the pix of Steve G's/smg Sahara Beige 73 2L in the O&H Forum's nailed thread called "The few, the rare..." you can see similar markings there.

Also, Jeff Bowlsby's website has many of the factory marings at this link:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PLM.htm

Cheers!
Tom
///////
JeffBowlsby
I have never found good photos of those spring paint dabs. This from the factory WSM

914Next
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 12 2016, 03:07 PM) *

I have never found good photos of those spring paint dabs. This from the factory WSM

Is this what you are looking for Jeff? Found this in a search I was doing today.

Click to view attachment
Peashooter
Interesting. I had two sets of springs for my 914-6, one set had two yellow stripes, one set three yellow stripes. Wondered what they meant. Probably similar to the green paints.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.