Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping my electric 914 from San Diego to SF Bay Area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PThompson509
Hi Folks,

I did a search on the site, and holy cr@p, the shipping costs are high. There is no way I can drive the car that far (it only has a range of 70 miles).

What options are available to me to haul the car from San Diego to Santa Clara (south SF Bay Area)?

Thanks!
Mueller
Uhaul trailer?

I take it one way trip only?
ndfrigi
uhaul dolly?
ndfrigi
ooops replied at exactly the same time! 8:56pm
ssuperflyoldguy
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Feb 11 2016, 08:58 PM) *

ooops replied at exactly the same time! 8:56pm

I have a tow dolly in Walnut Creek that you could borrow and bring back - too bad, I was just there Mon and coulda helped out.
Larmo63
Install a real powerplant in it?
r_towle
Amtrak, they ship cars too
JRust
yep just rent a dolly. Buy a flat tow kit would be a good thing too. Then you can hook up anytime to take it somewhere.
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 12 2016, 06:24 PM) *

Install a real powerplant in it?

oh dear av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
rick 918-S
I'm with the U-Haul guys but you could always....

Duct tape a gasoline generator to the targa top and plug it in for the trip.

Solar panels

Click to view attachment

Or how about this nifty range extender. The guy took the engine out of the car and installed it in a trailer to power a generator. Claims 20 miles to the gallon this way! Burns coal to charge the batteries And gas to run the generator! aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment
Mueller
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 12 2016, 03:58 AM) *

I'm with the U-Haul guys but you could always....

Duct tape a gasoline generator to the targa top and plug it in for the trip.

Solar panels

Or how about this nifty range extender. The guy took the engine out of the car and installed it in a trailer to power a generator. Claims 20 miles to the gallon this way! Burns coal to charge the batteries And gas to run the generator! aktion035.gif

Rick, is that 914 in the pic, cool looking car.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 12 2016, 07:35 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 12 2016, 03:58 AM) *

Rick, is that 914 in the pic, cool looking car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Propulsion_tzero
PThompson509
Uhaul sounds like the right way to do it - I don't want to make a range extender considering how rarely I would use it (as cool as it might be though).

I'm actually renting a Penske truck to haul plants and electronics, so hauling a trailer behind it shouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!
mepstein
If your already doing the truck, do the trailer.
Tom_T
QUOTE(PThompson509 @ Feb 12 2016, 08:27 AM) *

Uhaul sounds like the right way to do it - I don't want to make a range extender considering how rarely I would use it (as cool as it might be though).

I'm actually renting a Penske truck to haul plants and electronics, so hauling a trailer behind it shouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

IIRC Penske also rents car hauler trailers &/or car tow dolly too, but IMHO I would do the caur hauler trailer over the dolly.

Maybe you can change your rental from Penske to U-Haul to get their flat car hauler trailer?

... or if not rent the trailer there, but make sure the Penske truck has the hitch & electrical connector for the trailer. IIRC U-Haul only uses 4-pin electrical their trailers, since they have surge brakes.

Penske may have 7-pin connectors only on their truck (combo 4 & & pin if you're lucky), so you may need a 4-to-7-pin adapter too.

Also - you may want to look into more batteries in your 914E up there, cuz it can be pretty spread out to the City, East Bay, up North from South Bay & over the hills east & south, etc., so you may want 100-150 if you can swing it, or change from lead acid to more power dense batteries (Li, hydride & others).

Safe Travels! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
PThompson509
Thanks Tom,

Penske does have a flat trailer, so I'd go for that. I'd rather not use U-Haul if I can help it - too many issues with them in the past.

I'm about due for a new set of batteries - the heat in San Diego has killed 4 cells over the 7 years I've had it running. I'm looking into the Leaf batteries, but that's going to have to wait until after the move. smile.gif

Thanks again everyone!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.