Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: Went to a concert this weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Got back at about 3:00 from Vegas. I let my wife talk me into going to a concert. Any jazz fans out there? Got to see Chris Botti (#1 Instrumental album right now). But the real reason we went was to see Josh Groban. Wanted to sleep twice but (and this is the part where you can't laugh) I actually liked 3 of his songs. I hope I can sleep tonight.
nebreitling
i had to google the name "josh groban"

listened to a few mp3's.

you're sick dude. sick. barf.gif
URY914
Sorry to hear that. sad.gif
Qarl
You better not sleep tonight... or else one of us is going to break in your house and strangle you while you are sleeping...

jwalters
blink.gif Who in the freak is josh groben??? huh.gif blink.gif huh.gif
Joe Bob
The crap ya get can't be any worse than I got for blowing off the 04 WCC and going to see Celine Dion..... cool_shades.gif
scotty b
ohmy.gif I was at a concert this weekend as well. Not nearly as exciting as Josh Groban though, I just saw boring old Slipknot, oh, and Shadows Fall, and Lamb of God, and All That Remains. It was a nice night out wacko.gif That said I recommend anyone who has the chance go see The Dirty Dozen Brass Band. One of the better shows I have seen (Nawlens Jazzamatazz)
redshift
Out of season, but if you want to hear something insane, try the Modern Mandolin Quartet, perfoming the Nutcracker.

smile.gif

M
scotty b
QUOTE (redshift @ Mar 20 2005, 07:02 PM)
Out of season, but if you want to hear something insane, try the Modern Mandolin Quartet, perfoming the Nutcracker.

smile.gif

M

Bela Fleck and Edgar Myer - Music For Two = beautiful
Bela Fleck, I can't remember the title but it is him and a select few playing classical pieces = AWESOME

So how do I go from Slipknot to Bela Fleck you aks? I listen to it ALLLLLLL
TimT
Just got back from dinner with an old friend of mine...

we listened to

Django Rheinhart
Stan Getz
Brubeck
Zappa
the Dead
Monk
McClaughlin
Preservation jazz band?

hmmm lookin at this

I dont know what to think LOL

Allan
I hate Josh Groban! Exept for most of his "repetoise"... I believe in protecting the "Desert tortoise" it's really protected.

Love you Miles,

Henomenie
scotty b
QUOTE (TimT @ Mar 20 2005, 07:28 PM)
Just got back from dinner with an old friend of mine...

we listened to

Monk

huh.gif Thelonious or Adrian? wacko.gif
TimT
T Monk
jd74914
sweet.
Allan
My wife is really a Josh Groban fan. If you hate his music, please start a poll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Headrage @ Mar 20 2005, 07:49 PM)
My wife is really a Josh Groban fan. If you hate his music, please start a poll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um...is he Country or Western? blink.gif
redshift
Music festival started here last night, with the Codetalkers, and Blueground Undergrass.

Nice jazz all week, ending with Mandolin Madness at the Trustees Theatre on Friday, with Tony Williamson, Sam Bush, Dave Grisman.. and on Saturday, teh Dave Grisman quint, doing the Dawg thing.

Odd that all this happens the week after I buy a mandolin. They are going to shit when they see it..

smile.gif

I am excited to steal some licks.

M
Joe Bob
A mandolin...ain't that a short banjo fer little people? mueba.gif

redshift
Mandolins are fun.

I have wasted 35 years of my life playing guitar, I was born to be this annoying.

M
Joe Bob
Gading ding, ding.... wacko.gif
ablose58
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif biggrin.gif cool.gif
Allan
Actually it was pretty cool. ( ohmy.gif Don't kill me unless you feel Miles would approve).
ovilla
This past Friday night I sat through TWO hours of "Dora the Explorer". At least Dora (the actress) was easy on the eyes. My daughter had a blast too. The ending had confetti and BUBBLES (yes bubbles) falling down on the first 20 or so rows (where we were sitting). The worst concert was sitting through Barney a few years ago with my son. In the middle of the skit Barney knocks on a door and tells kids that he'll be back in 15 minutes. My kid cried during the entire break. When my daughter was born I put all of the Barney crap in a box and started her off with Scooby Doo - a timeless classic. Gotta love the van in Scooby Doo too.
Joe Bob
Barney needs a visit from the Spanish Inquisition..... screwy.gif
ovilla
Jay Leno had a great skit a while back where he showed Barney sitting on a fence. Then he blew him up and showed it over and over in slow motion. Also, at the end of the spoof movie "Mafia" there's a scene where an eskimo walks into a hotel room and there's a Barney likeness singing and dancing. Next thing you see is the eskimo harpooning Barney. So glad we've moved on.
Bruce Allert
the only music I have trouble listening to is Polka. I can (and have) gotten into listening to Josh along with a good cigar and a glass of Glen Fidditch.

But the best concert I've been to lately was AD/DC aktion035.gif

.......b
scruz914
QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 20 2005, 06:47 PM)
....going to see Celine Dion..... cool_shades.gif

My wife wants to go to Vegas and see Celine Dion. dry.gif I don't know who Josh Groben is but usually anything you do to make the wife happy is worth it in the long run.
redshift
it WAS NOT COOL! Good Lord! Hints don't do it, torture won't do it... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAN! HE IS HIS OWN FORM OF BIRTH CONTROL!

I hate to be brash (laugh.gif) but I am having the doctors remove your feeding tube.

Back to the mandolin for a minute...

So, I picked it up, and plunked out my limited knowledge of the instrument in about 10 minutes (room full of bluegrassers... YECH!). As soon as I had a quiet space to sit in, the approach to the tuning hit me.. and I went from beginner, to advanced in a couple of hours. I can play the crap out of three major keys, 9 to go! Bebop mandolin.... I see dance halls making a comeback... soon.

Ok, someone remove Allan's tube... laugh.gif

M

IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (redshift @ Mar 20 2005, 08:16 PM)
Mandolins are fun.

I have wasted 35 years of my life playing guitar, I was born to be this annoying.

Just learn to play like Chris Thiele, thats all.
drew365
There's a group on the west coast called "The Way Backs". Country, jazz, rock fusion with mandolins a blazing. Unbelievable. Their lead player is the Jimi Hendrix of country. They need a better name because it sounds like a oldies band which they ain't.
nebreitling
QUOTE (Bruce Allert @ Mar 20 2005, 10:27 PM)
I can (and have) gotten into listening to Josh along with a good cigar and a glass of Glen Fidditch.

this is not something i will ever be able to understand. you scotch deserves something better.
SLITS
Only in Bakersfield lol2.gif lol2.gif chairfall.gif chairfall.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif

Joe Bob
QUOTE (scruz914 @ Mar 21 2005, 01:09 AM)
QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 20 2005, 06:47 PM)
....going to see Celine Dion..... cool_shades.gif

My wife wants to go to Vegas and see Celine Dion. dry.gif I don't know who Josh Groben is but usually anything you do to make the wife happy is worth it in the long run.

Expensive but the show didn't suck..... dry.gif
Bruce Allert
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Mar 21 2005, 09:46 AM)
QUOTE (Bruce Allert @ Mar 20 2005, 10:27 PM)
I can (and have) gotten into listening to Josh along with a good cigar and a glass of Glen Fidditch.

this is not something i will ever be able to understand. you scotch deserves something better.

Wha'chu talk'n bout Willis??? drunk.gif

everyones taste is in yer mouth laugh.gif redundant

.....b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.