Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front caliper rebuild questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zehrschnell914
I've got the rear calipers apart, but can't seem to find any information about rebuilding the front calipers. Does anyone know how to remove the pistons without damaging them?

Mike sawzall-smiley.gif
teenrookie
I am probably going to be told I am crazy but mine were frozen from sitting for years So I cased them and soaked them in solvent then plugged all but one hole, wrapped a leather belt around it several times and used my air compressor with a rubber tip to blow them out. My neighbors thought is was a shotgun laugh.gif
type47
air compressor pressure. put a block of wood in between pistons so each doesn't completely remove from the caliper.
davep
I use a master cylinder/pedal assy setup to hydraulically push the pistons out. A bit messy sometimes, but I never had it fail, and there is little danger. Some people use compressed air, but I don't consider it particularly safe. If the pistons are not seized, then I might consider it; along with blocks, rags, and all manner of safety stuff. Just picked up 10 more to do.
zehrschnell914
Thank you for the quick replies. After posting this thread, I went back out into the garage and using two large flat-tip screwdrivers, I gently pried the pistons out of the caliper halves.

I've bolted that halves together and will sandblast them tomorrow. Then it's off to have them zinc plated. smilie_pokal.gif

Mike
zehrschnell914
After I pulled the pistons out of the front calipers, I noticed that one of the calipers had a post inside that the piston went over. This caliper said ATE 35 on one half and VW 53 on the other half. It's been so long since I have driven this car, that I cannot remember if it pulled to either side when braking. Does anyone know if the mis-matched calipers will cause a problem? I tend to error on the side of caution, so I am tempted to head out to the local Porsche graveyard for another caliper.

Mike
groot
I'm doing the same thing.... I removed one piston, but how do I get the other one out?

Do I rebuild one side, put it back together and push the other side out?

I know others have mentioned using a grease gun to get a stuck piston out, but how do you get both out at the same time? I don't want to put in the new seal on one side and push grease into it.

Sorry for the dumb questions.
Joe Ricard
Once you get one piston to move don't let it come all the way out. Thats what the block of wood is for. Put a bar clamp on the side that moved or 20 layers of duct tape. The other side will have to come out. BTW I use a bicycle hand floor pump. It will make over 150 psi but have never had to go much over 30. I like it because the piston will move with just the amount of air required. Air compressor will give it all she got and then some. Hence the shotgun sound and nieghbors getting jumpy wink.gif
zehrschnell914
Groot: It sounds like Joe has the best method. If your pistons are not seized (mine were not), and you have more guts than brains, you can try my method, but Joe's sounds a lot safer.

Mike
groot
Cool, I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.