Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint protection film
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
My hood was a mess of stone chips and its now freshly painted. LLunar and other brands offer paint protection film but I can't find one cut for our cars. A local shop said they can freehand cut one. I'm not sure how that would turn out

Looking for who cut yours. Precut template or freehand? Brands?

Are you happy with the results?

Just how invisible is it? Thanks for the info
jmitro
I bought Lamin-X for my BMW X5, precut to fit and installed myself. It was not easy to cover the compound curves without wrinkling.

The flat 914 hood would make for a relatively easy application, but if you want one single sheet for the entire hood (is this even possible) you need multiple hands. If the piece is only 20-24" deep, you can probably install yourself with careful attention to detail.

Does it protect the paint? Absolutely. My old '99 996 had professionally installed Lamin-X and the front end had absolutely no paint defects
StratPlayer
I used the clear bra company,, had the hood, lights, and brows done.
JoeDees
I've never used it, but when I worked at a Lexus dealer I made the following observations:

1. Some colors will make it stand out, but I don't remember which.
2. It shows up less if you do an entire panel and use factory panel edges for its edges. (do whole hood not just the front foot)
3. Be careful when waxing or it will pile up on the edges.
StratPlayer
I never wax the clear bra, I always use novus plastic cleaner on the bra...The people who installed the clear bra told me not to wax it and using novus is the way to go.
bandjoey
Going back into the 80's there are templates precut. Having one cut freehand looks like a problem. I see them install the LLunar and its a job for pros to get it flat.
Tom_T
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Feb 13 2016, 10:46 AM) *

Going back into the 80's there are templates precut. Having one cut freehand looks like a problem. I see them install the LLunar and its a job for pros to get it flat.

Bill - The problem with freehand cut is that they can score your paint, since that can void the paint shop's warranty (if any) & give a path for the tin worm to get in.

But if you have it done, have them wrap around the edges to the underside of all parts done so that most/all of the seams won't be visible.

Another problem with all of them which I see in Concours judging - biut it applies to non-CW cars too - is that you tend to get a line of product build-up at the edge of the clear material from the wax, polish, etc. used on the adjacent paint & even dirt - which is how they become visible.

They're mostly clear & invisible on all colors nowadays, but they will need to be stripped off & changed out every 5+/- years depending on the sun & UV wear (e.g.: in your TX & our SoCal).

Panorama did a big article on all of the option in the Jan. 2016 issue which is worth reading, but downplays the pre-cut for teh custom cut - vs. the admonitions from one of our local PCA members with a detailing shop who does them & prefers the pre-cut due to the scored paint concern.

For me, the old school removable black vinyl bras look correct on our 914s, but can be bulky & many don't like the black on their cars.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
r_towle
Let the paint cure before you put on the plastic.
Paint needs to cure for quite a while.
Check with the manufacturer of the paint.
somd914
3M pre-cut (not sure of the specific film) on our dark gray Elise - depending on lighting and angles you can see it, but most of the time it is invisible to the casual observer. Will likely do the the same after I repaint the Ravenna green teener this spring and also in a few years when the 911 is repainted. I have several friends pushing well past five years on their various brands, but these are garaged cars.

As for me I will take clear bra over a rock chipped front ends and over the scuffed paint that the edge of the old-school bras typically leave.

As for concourse, no interest to me, so no concerns there.
Andyrew
I got some el cheepo stuff for my fiesta. Did the rear bumper top (where loading and unloading causes scratches), as well as under the door handles. I wanted to do the front bumper but I was not skilled enough.
bandjoey
The freehand guy I'll see Tuesday. Probably get the entire hood done. Where it has to wrap under at the headlight inside corner cutout is a concern.

What is an average price to do a hood?
bandjoey
After seeing the hood - freehand guy no can do.

I emailed a do it yourself company (south of Long Beach) to see if they might do a hood group buy. If I owned a 944 for example their kit including tools and a DVD and live phone support would run about 200.

Waiting to hear back. IF they can and need a car for the measurements, perhaps someone in the area could drive over to their factory.

Will let u know when I know.

The only 914 kit I could find online was $900+. KMA.gif
bandjoey
Just saw this online. Anyone try it yet? I'm going to test a can of clear gloss, but don't find anyone using it for stone chip protection yet.

http://www.duplicolor.com/product/custom-w...removable-paint

With everyone saying vinyl has to be cut with a blade and could score the paint, I'm looking for alternatives.

Andyrew
Same as plastidip's clear gloss basically. It'll look hazy on the paint.
StratPlayer
The cost to get my entire hood, lights, brows done by clear bra was a little over 400 bucks, was done on a new paint job, paint cured before bra was applied,,, very satisfied with the job... They told me not to wax the bra,, I used novus cleaner on the bra, can't tell it's there.
infraredcalvin
This is a case of "you get what you pay for"

The Pano article mentioned above is a good primer.
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Mar 16 2016, 08:20 PM) *

This is a case of "you get what you pay for"

The Pano article mentioned above is a good primer.

Correct, as usual it is. ..." you get what you pay for "
bandjoey
It's not You Get what you pay for. It's finding someone to do it. I've talked to 8 vinyl and tint shops in the DFW area and 100% didn't want to do it. Every one said it would have to be a custom fit (no templates available) and a razor blade cut against the paint. Soooo I prevent rock chips or have possible rust under a cut too deep. Just looking at alternatives now.

Anyone local that can recommend a shop? I'll check it out. In the mean time.... 3m also has a spray on clear with a 1 year life and indicates it's a paint defender against stone chips etc

Still on the search. flag.gif
Mikey914
Guys,
I'm actually working on this right now. I plan to make a full hood and a bra version.
More on Monday. These will be pre trimmed blanks ready to install. Also there is a solution better than just soapy water that I can get too.

I've been dong this for the 944 for some time
Mikey914
Double post
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 18 2016, 03:56 AM) *

Guys,
I'm actually working on this right now. I plan to make a full hood and a bra version.
More on Monday. These will be pre trimmed blanks ready to install. Also there is a solution better than just soapy water that I can get too.

I've been dong this for the 944 for some time

Mark - It would make sense for you to offer this product for our cars.
Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.