Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any tips for extending a thead tap?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
I need to thread tap my bumpers (M12 1.5) to clean out the rust. Is there a socket or extension that works with these? I did the rear bumper with a 8mm socket but it's slipping on the front bumper not being a perfect fit and as the rust is a little tougher.

If very much possible without spending $40 on a socket set that I'll never use again!

Thanks!
Darren C
You need a basic collet tap wrench like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-Handle-Tap-Wrenc...bGHrGjRsggj3NWA

Should be able to get one from any good tool store.

If not at worst you could use a small adjustable spanner wrench.
Wyvern
I have had really good luck just going to the hardware store and buying a long(er) grade 8 bolt and cutting 2 grooves in it using a cut off grinder or even a hacksaw, and using as a cleaner / chaser .
Good lube, and screw in then back out (clean if needed) the repeat.

zipedadoo
What I usually do is find a nut that's a little smaller than the square drive of the tap, hammer it on and use a 1/4 drive ratchet/socket to turn it. A little crude but it works.
TheCabinetmaker
You'll do better with a thread chase, not a tap. A tap will cut the threads a little larger making a loose fitting bolt.
patssle
QUOTE(zipedadoo @ Feb 13 2016, 12:30 PM) *

What I usually do is find a nut that's a little smaller than the square drive of the tap, hammer it on and use a 1/4 drive ratchet/socket to turn it. A little crude but it works.

This worked! I actually used the same style nut that goes on the clutch pulley. It fit perfect.

You need a basic collet tap wrench like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-Handle-Tap-Wrenc...bGHrGjRsggj3NWA

Unfortunately you need an extension to get into the late model bumper threads.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.