Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat Upholstery pointed retainers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsaum
Are these available somewhere? I have some missing and a few pulled out while I was having my seat kits installed. They hold down the edges of the seat backs and side bolsters. Has anyone found them or a better solution?

Thanks,

Jsaum
iankarr
I was missing a few too. Looked all over but couldn't find them. Needed to fabricate from scrap metal. Not too difficult. Would be great to find a resource!
mepstein
I haven't found them ( I looked a lot) but you can order metal upholstery tack strips eBay. You then drill holes for the rivets in the appropriate spots and then using pliers, bend back and forth until it breaks off. Each strip cost about $1 and makes about 10 tacks.

I experimented with the tacks and they break after being bent a couple times so this is the only way to reuse a fiberglass shell that has been recovered or has rusty tacks. Otherwise the tacks will break due to repeated bending. If you have a drill press it makes the repeated hole drilling much easier. Also need leather gloves since the new tacks are sharp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Tacking-10-T...3QAAOSw5dNWhWBz
jsaum
Great idea I'll order it and give it a try.
Thanks!
Mikey914
Thinking I may need to make these. As I'm selling seat kits and have noticed I'm missing some too.
iankarr
Mark....that's a great idea. It took a few hours, but I was able to fabricate pretty easily myself, so shouldn't be a big deal for your master rubberwerks to offer these:). I would gladly pay to avoid sharpening steel points myself.
jsaum
Yes please I will need another set. Also the bottom seat boards and seat back cardboard would be a big help when doing the seats. My first attempt at recovering the seats didn't turn out that great I'll probably try it again on another set of seats.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.