Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cable Shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom73
Was browsing the web and found a site with a home developed cable shifter for the 914. This site was put up by an Eric Tischer. It is at http://www.etischer.com/914cableshift.html

I tried to e-mail him about the system but the address given on the site is not working (unkn user).

Anyone know anything about this system?

tom...
smrz914
He was on Roadglue. He brought his suby car with that cable shift to a gathering in SF i think it was. Havn't heard anything from him in a long while.
MecGen
I would like to know if it helped the side shifter
I understood its a bad trans for shifteing piriod.
WBR
Joe

beerchug.gif
lapuwali
QUOTE (JoeSpark @ Mar 21 2005, 03:55 AM)
I would like to know if it helped the side shifter
I understood its a bad trans for shifteing piriod.
WBR
Joe

beerchug.gif

I'm sure you meant tail shifter, not side shifter. Bad shifting with a tail shifter is a myth propogated and perpetuated by people who only drove them after they were all worn out. Properly rebuilt and adjusted, a tail shifter can work very nicely, thank you very much. Their chief problem is they wear out their many bushings much faster than a side-shifter, so you have to replace said bushings more often.

On Mr. Tischer's work, I commend him for getting it all to work. Now, if only he could make things out of something other than 1/4" plate. That shifter assembly looks like it must weigh 20lbs or more.
mike_the_man
My buddy built a cable shifter for his Lotus Europa, and it's really slick. It's very tight shifting and smooth. I've been considering trying something similar for my teener. Once I get all of the other bugs worked out, it will be a project I think I'll try.

Mueller
You could probebly start hitting up the auto-wreckers and look for something that seems to match....I'd guess Subaru or Hondas for the shifter....an early Boxster cable shifter might be a good item to use as well....

There is a company that claims to have a 100% bolt-on cable shifter, but expect to pay close to $800...ouch...
bondo
I picked up a cableshifter from a wrecking yard a while back, but I have no idea what it's from. It was just sitting on the counter, someone had pulled it and didn't buy it. It was so nice I had to buy it smile.gif That project is on the back burner, but the LT1 conversion may move it up to the front again if things get in the way of the shift rod.
machina
pretty sure the boxster has a cable shifter, maybe that'd work
mike_the_man
I think my buddy used a shifter from an Omni or something like that, and he bought the cables from some marine supply place. It's all very slick, and looks really good too.

MecGen
I'm sure you meant tail shifter

My Bad, got them mixed up...only have 2 in my basement.
screwy.gif
OK for a side shifter 73-74 is there much to be gain in shifter feel? I think it would be a good deal
cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif
neo914-6
I am using a Boxster cable shifter with a Boxster 5 speed on my Neo914. You guys should look into this as a retrofit. It is very "KISS" Keep it sweet & simple. The non-S tranny's are fairly inexpensive.
flyloki
Are you still going with the 1.8t engine?

neo914-6
No, see my signature... biggrin.gif Even Sonu said he would have gone 2.7tt if he hadn't got the 1.8t for so cheap. His car was done for amazingly low budget.
Jeroen
Someone here build a cableshifter for a tailshifter box
He used the gearbox parts from a Hyundai Scoupe (dunno if you have those in the States) and he said is was almost bolt on...
lapuwali
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 22 2005, 07:21 AM)
He used the gearbox parts from a Hyundai Scoupe (dunno if you have those in the States) and he said is was almost bolt on...

Yes, we do have that car here. Hm.. Did he include the bits at the tranny, or just the shifter inside? The inside bits seem to be reasonably generic. It's the parts at the gearbox that are the harder part.
Jeroen
no, he used the part that bolts to the tranny
can't remember the details, but he said it was real easy only a very minor mod
Tom73
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 22 2005, 07:21 AM)

Jeroen,
I did a search and found a post of yours from April '03 with some details and a couple of pics of the Scoupe system...

Here are some pics of the cable-shifter a fellow clubmember did
Sorry for the low quality of the pics... I shot them with the digital camera from the (badly printed) clubmagazine
The details are kinda vague... he used the mechanism of a Hyunai Scoupe
He used that because that one uses a 14mm shaft (like the 914 does)
He made a new 14mm shaft, only longer to work with this setup
The rest more or less bolted up without too much fabrication/changes

Looks like a clean install to me...

cheers,

Jeroen

user posted image

user posted image

tom...
mike_the_man
That looks pretty sweet! Anybody have anymore info on that?

lapuwali
That looks very nice indeed. I wonder if the Scoupe used the same linkage any any other Hyundais?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.