Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LT1 progress
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I took all the accessories off my LT1 in order to re-do the belt system and turn the intake around. Now I'm putting it back together. I tried to anodize the intake manifold, but it was just too big and my setup can't anodize it well enough to take dye. It kept coming out purple, er, I mean aubergine. smile.gif I gave up and just painted it black.

I'll start with the before pic:
bondo
Front after: (obviously I don't have all the wiring and fuel rails back on)
bondo
Rear after: (anyone know what to fill the half circle with under the engine so the front side of the flywheel isn't exposed?)

scotty914
well royce the kennedy suby kit has an AL plate to cover that opening, i wonder if the sbc kit does or if you could make one.

also have you decided on a speed sensor yet, i took a trick from a guy who put an obd2 suby motor in an airplane. basicly its just a 10 dollar kit for a 555 timer, the one i bought had a led to confirm the out put. i had to change some resistors to get it to cycle faster due to the stock setup was to slow. i plan on having 2 in the car at all times just in case. it took me about 1 hour including tinkering time to build it, and i can change it out in 2 mins. if you want i can build one up for ya.
skline
The adapter should have come with an aluminum plate that fits over it, its just an inspection plate and I think you can get the same one from any of the old GM cars or make your own.
bondo
I saved the VSS out of the trans, I'm going to put a toothed wheel on one of the output flanges of the trans. I should probably get started on that.. I need 400 pulses per mile, but maybe I'll adjust it to 300 so I can go faster before the computer says no smile.gif

There was a plate over the flywheel before, but it bolted to the trans and had a big hole for the starter. I'll probably just make a plate.
scotty914
QUOTE (bondo @ Mar 20 2005, 10:13 PM)
...toothed wheel on one of the output flanges of the trans....I need 400 pulses per mile...

i got bad news for ya at 400 pulses per mile it works out to 1 pulse for every 13.2 feet or about every 2 complete rotations of the wheel. if you put 1 tooth on the flange you will work out to about 800 pulses per mile.

sorry time for more planing
bondo
Sorry, I was off by a factor of 10 (not bad, for me) It's 4000 pulses per mile. I'll probably go with 4 teeth on the wheel. That works out to 3148 pulses per mile at the tire size I plan to use.
bondo
Oooh, I just realized I can mill the teeth out of one of the adapters for my 911 CVs.. one less part to deal with smile.gif
scotty914
thats about the same that the suby wants, but the suby at 60 is looking for a pulse about every .016 seconds yours is looking for one every .015. the timer i built is giving it 20 pulses a second it thinks it going about 20 mph even when its siting still, but it has not been up set with it yet. i think the way these obd2 computers work, they have a timer saying i want a pulse at least 45 seconds when you hit full throttle. or at least thats what i heard but mine was shutting down every 2 mins with out the vss. so what i think happens is that as long as the computer sees a pulse before the timer runs out it realy does not care. but i could idle forever, so it must be keyed at 2 to 3 k rpms to start the timer, of coarse i was hitting 6500 rpms a few times happy11.gif but i still have not found the rev limiter blink.gif
bondo
Supposedly the LT1 has no rev limiter but has a speed limiter. The LT1 will run with no VSS, but I'm told it will run rough going down to idle and may die, and won't accelerate at its best without it. I don't think it would be happy with a continuous frequency. It's also pre-OBDII, so it's not quite standardized. In the grand scheme of things, adding a toothed wheel is no big deal, especially if I can machine it into an adapter I need anyways smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.