Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: 914-6 Shell
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
914outlaw
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Feb 15 2016, 09:41 AM) *

Buy it Now Price:US $24,999.00
I understand values have skyrocketed. But no way this goes for that. Right?
smokey
A 914/6 chassis completely stripped. Can fetch 10/15 k . This car has its steering column ,most of the interior & the harness is still in the car . Everything that has been removed can be found. I think the asking price is about right . Have u tried to find a 6 column ? And if u do find one . It's going to be expensive . I just found one in
Arizona....wow $$$$$$$$$$$$$

smoke.gif
teachkenpo
QUOTE(smokey @ Feb 15 2016, 05:07 PM) *

A 914/6 chassis completely stripped. Can fetch 10/15 k . This car has its steering column ,most of the interior & the harness is still in the car . Everything that has been removed can be found. I think the asking price is about right .

smoke.gif

Hi, I am a newcomer to this board, and still have lots to learn. However, I am having a hard time comprehending this price. I am restoring a 1970 914-6 and have been hunting for parts for some time. Based on my recent experience, there are a lot of expensive parts missing from this car:

Engine
Engine Tin
Engine Mount
Shift linkage
Rear Brakes
Rear valence
front and rear bumpers
entire interior
Oil tank
Oil Lines
There are probably more parts missing that I don't know of.

Excluding the engine, there are $7,500 in missing parts. Lets say you put in a rebuilt 914-6 engine with carbs (or any basic rebuilt engine), you would have at least $12,500-$15,000 more. Including the $25,000 purchase price, that's $45,000 as a baseline before starting restoration. Between metal work, body work, painting, chrome, lights, rubber, dash, interior, wheels, suspension, exhaust, etc, etc, you are going to put another $25,000 (or more) into this car. If all goes well and I didn't forget anything major, you will have $70,000 to $75,000 into a non-numbers matching car. Is that the right price for this car?

John

mepstein
Some people like to build it vs buy it and not everyone can afford $75k in one chunk. Look at Stevegm. He bought a roller and then skillfully lucked into the numbers matching engine. This isn't the right car for me but I probably spent almost half the asking price on mine for rust repair and tom-t has quotes of $30-40k to bring back the shell on his 4. So who's to say what's the right price?
halmil
Just because it started out as a six, but now is nothing but a shell, does sticking a non-matching numbers engine in it make it that much better than a 4 to 6 conversion?
mepstein
QUOTE(halmil @ Feb 16 2016, 07:44 PM) *

Just because it started out as a six, but now is nothing but a shell, does sticking a non-matching numbers engine in it make it that much better than a 4 to 6 conversion?

Yes. It's a real six. The vin actually does matter. It's the DNA of the car.
fasthonda
Based on what nice original sixes seem to be selling for, I don't think the price is that outrageous. What I don't understand is why people are willing to pay almost 6 figures for a nice original six, when you could build one using a 4 chassis for half as much. Me personally could care less about the VIN, its about the driving experience - what the cars are meant for. A six conversion will give you the same driving pleasure. I have had a mental block about driving my car after I built it but I am past that now and plan to drive it as much as possible this year, otherwise there is no sense having it. Just my thoughts after seeing this thread.

raynekat
Obviously if it actually sells for that price.....it was the right price.

If it doesn't sell, then it was high or no one was interested in the amount of work that is represented here.

Getting parts for a 914-6 is no easy matter.
Try finding an oil tank and filler neck.
Will you be buying those $2800 rear tail lights just recently advertised for sale?
To get full price for this car, you'll have to have the matching number engine. Tranny not that important as few in any of the original documents list the tranny no. on them.
rick 918-S
The car is available for those who care about a vin. For those that don't build a 4 to 6 specs. Either way I agree if you don't drive it what's the point. I have pounded the freeways and back roads all over the US with an exotic one off custom built 914/928 combo since 2004. Thousands of miles. If it breaks get a trailer, haul it home and fix it for the next trip.

The chassis looks decent. Could be a nice start. I bet the right guy could make a good deal and get the car back on the road. Never know where the original engine will turn up. Ask and sell are two different subjects.
smokey
smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.