Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine out!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JerryP
Due to the most stubborn bolt I've ever come across and the flu running rampant through my house, it took me an extra weekend. Thanks to Rich(Artechnika) and Skline who offered to come out and help....but reading how all you guys drop your engines in 30 minutes, I really wanted to do it myself (except of course for all the online coaching I needed) no matter how long it took.

I can see what you all mean. Next time will be much smoother.
JerryP
bought this as a parts car but it's actually not as bad off as I originally thought.
JerryP
woohoo!
JerryP
sat in a dirty garge for 10 years.....unbelievable amount of crud. After I got it out I found out I need to get the heat exchangers off to use on my other car. Would it be easier to raise the thing up somehow?
machina
I had some bolts like that as well. Ended up using a sledge hammer and a 2x4. smash.gif

It's great though when everything is back together, all the nuts and bolts are shiny and new and nothing is stuck and or rusted together smile.gif Not to mention how easy it is to work on the motor whithout 30 years of dirt and grime in your face.
machina
QUOTE (JerryP @ Mar 21 2005, 08:39 AM)
sat in a dirty garge for 10 years.....unbelievable amount of crud. After I got it out I found out I need to get the heat exchangers off to use on my other car. Would it be easier to raise the thing up somehow?

If the oil is out, tip the thing up on its nose.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE (synthesisdv @ Mar 21 2005, 07:40 AM)
QUOTE (JerryP @ Mar 21 2005, 08:39 AM)

If the oil is out, tip the thing up on its nose.

if you tip it on its front, remove the tranni first. The oil will run out the vent hole and make a hell of a mess. Ask me how I know.
machina
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Mar 21 2005, 08:44 AM)
Ask me how I know.

biggrin.gif how do you know?

anyway, just plug it.
JerryP
Oil is all drained out. I thought all the gas was drained out also until I had to move the fuel pump to get at the nut on top of the engine mount bar. Good thing I don't smoke.

After reading all the threads about the studs breaking off, I just want as much access and leverage as possible. I've been soaking the nuts with PB Blaster for a couple days.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.