Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: starter issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
My car wouldn't start the other day. Battery is good. The starter would not even turn over, but I could hear the fuel pump working. Radio also worked. I was able to push start it to get home. When I got home, I shut the engine off and then tried to start the car. The starter worked. Haven't tried it since, though.

1. How do I tell if the starter is going bad? It sounds ok, but maybe I'm not listening for the right kind of sounds.

2. I'll check all the connections and post my findings as well, but what should I check: terminals on starter, what else?

3. Someone told me to tap on the starter with a hammer. Where? What am I trying to do?

4. Is it better to rebuild or replace? How do I tell if a place is any good? Got a recommendation for a local place, but just based on price.

Thanks in advance!
TheCabinetmaker
If you must hit it, don't hit the solenoid. The end of it is plastic and will shatter.

Check the ground strap from the trans to underside of trunk. Remove it and clean it and the stud is attaches to.

Might be a "hot" start problem.
Mark Henry
Clean grounds and contacts first, then add the Ford solenoid fix.
Then drive and see if the problem is gone or not.
r_towle
wiring at ignition switch gets old and tired, its a long way to travel for the starter circuit.
Rewire with "hot start relay" that has many threads here how to set that up.

Tranny ground strap gets old and corroded, thus passes less current.
Get a new one and clean where it mounts for good contact.

Finally, the 40 year old starter may be tired.

The rebuilt ones you get now are not reliable.
I always use
Chelmsford Auto Electric in Tyngsboro MA
They will rebuild your unit but be clear to have them do that versus selling you a rebuilt one.

Rich
Bob L.
Could also be the ignition switch itself, Electrical or mechanical portion.
Rand
A common problem that causes this is a crack in the ignition switch's plastic housing. It's easy to test the starter if you have this problem again by shorting the right terminals. The "screwdriver trick." If it cranks, then the problem is in the circuit, not the starter.
Series9
Step 1: Unplug the solenoid and jumper the large battery lead to the solenoid terminal.

(Be careful when doing this) Make damn sure the car is out of gear and wear some glasses to protect from sparks.

If the car starts normally with the ignition in the on position, it's not the starter.
Series9
QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 15 2016, 05:07 PM) *

A common problem that causes this is a crack in the ignition switch's plastic housing. It's easy to test the starter if you have this problem again by shorting the right terminals. The "screwdriver trick." If it cranks, then the problem is in the circuit, not the starter.

Sorry Rand. I posted the exact same answer......
Rand
Great minds run in the same gutters.
Series9
QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 15 2016, 05:31 PM) *

Great minds run in the same gutters.

Accepted. beerchug.gif
Justinp71
From what I remember there are 4 common problems (or a combination of items)-

1. Bad ground strap from trans to body.

2. Wires from ignition to starter are too corroded and don't supply enough amperage to the starter. Common fix is to start cleaning up connections and install a hot start relay.

3. Bad starter or solenoid.

4. Bad or worn ignition switch

914 RZ-1
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 15 2016, 01:59 PM) *

What is the "Ford solenoid fix"?
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(Series9 @ Feb 15 2016, 02:07 PM) *

Step 1: Unplug the solenoid and jumper the large battery lead to the solenoid terminal.

(Be careful when doing this) Make damn sure the car is out of gear and wear some glasses to protect from sparks.

If the car starts normally with the ignition in the on position, it's not the starter.

Just to clarify:

Which battery lead, the + or -?

Which solenoid lead?

I'm not looking at the car, so forgive me if this would be obvious.

BTW, is this how I would "hot wire" the car? smile.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Feb 18 2016, 12:58 PM) *

av-943.gif
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 15 2016, 03:34 PM) *

2. Wires from ignition to starter are too corroded and don't supply enough amperage to the starter. Common fix is to start cleaning up connections and install a hot start relay.

Thanks for the info. I'll check these when I get some time.

What is a hot start relay?
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(Series9 @ Feb 15 2016, 02:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 15 2016, 05:07 PM) *

Sorry Rand. I posted the exact same answer......

Am I doing this in the engine bay or on the fuses under the dash?
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 18 2016, 10:02 AM) *

QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Feb 18 2016, 12:58 PM) *

av-943.gif

I found it after I posted. Ima dumbass.
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Feb 18 2016, 10:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 15 2016, 03:34 PM) *

Thanks for the info. I'll check these when I get some time.

What is a hot start relay?

Nevermind, I searched and found out all I wanted to about hot start relays.
Rand
Am I doing this in the engine bay or on the fuses under the dash?

Under the car at the starter. See photo. Rest a screwdriver on the main power terminal (red arrow) then slide it forward to touch the terminal at the green arrow. You don't need to worry about the ignition switch position because the main terminal is always hot and you aren't trying to start the car, just see if it tries to crank. You'll know in an instant! Of course be sure car is in neutral.

If it won't crank by the ignition switch, but does here, I'd bet a beer the ignition switch is cracked. At any rate, this will instantly narrow things down to the starter vs circuit.

IPB Image
Series9
agree.gif Do this first.
Bartlett 914
To this I would add a bad connection under the passenger seat where the seat belt interlock on some cars is located

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 15 2016, 06:34 PM) *

Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Feb 18 2016, 01:39 PM) *

To this I would add a bad connection under the passenger seat where the seat belt interlock on some cars is located

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 15 2016, 06:34 PM) *

agree.gif
Series9
There has been a ton of speculation. Less reading and more testing, please.

Just do the first test and we can move on from there.

Crawl under the car and jumper the starter.

Does the starter work or not?

Electrical problems are solved by observations of logic, not speculation.

Do the test. Report the result. I have a simple list to give you if he starter works via the "screwdriver" test, but this is a massive waste of time if all you need is a new starter.
ThePaintedMan
Joe is giving you the most logical troubleshooting path. That's the way id do it too by jumping the starter first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.