Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dome light wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bradtho
First off, there are plenty of threads available in search for how to wire the dome light itself. I'm good there, no need to post about that. But I'm not finding anything on the door open switches that are also part of the circuit.

I had a full repaint and am trying to get the dome light working again. I suspect that the switches in the door jam's weren't reconnected properly. Current symptom (with ignition off)...

Driver door only open = nothing
passenger door only open = Fasten seat belt light on (!!)
Both doors open = dome light on (and belt light off)

So this tells me the dome light is good. With ignition on and belts unbuckled the belt light works correctly. So the issue would be somewhere in that door open loop, right?

Each switch has 4 connections (I believe, it was a while ago when I had it out). Anyone familiar with how these are wired to help me know how to debug this?

thanks
JeffBowlsby
drooley.gif
bradtho
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 15 2016, 07:35 PM) *

drooley.gif

Well now that's easy! Hopefully they aren't covered in overspray, I don't remember them being different colors!
steuspeed
They are gray/brown and brown. The plastic tab keeps the circuit from shorting. The switch just opens/closes the circuit. Switch can go bad. Contacts don't work well over time. Try wiggling the plastic switch pin. Bypass the switch and you will know if it's the switch or something else. Those little connectors can be a pain. I'm not too sure about the seat belt warning light. I disconnected mine.
bradtho
pray.gif

Thanks to you both. A few minutes in the garage and we're back in business! Both sides were flipped with one gray & one brown up and the others down. Flipped them as shown and either or both doors activate the dome light and neither operates the seat belt light.
JeffBowlsby
For future ref, the 70-71 cars are brown/red. 72-73 are grey/brown stripes and brown and 74-76 cars are just grey/brown stripes. Its helpful when you indicate your model year!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.