Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Couple teeners at Sebring this weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
ThePaintedMan
I feel like a total idiot because I could not find the time to go visit these guys, but there were two /6s at Sebring for a local club race. Good looking cars.

If we hadn't "ventilated" the P2 engine, I might have made it over there. Instead I spent the afternoon washing down fire extinguisher residue and packing the car back up for the driver. headbang.gif

jd74914
They look nice, especially the back one.

That sucks. It threw a rod?
wndsrfr
Oohhh......pics of the carnage?? Flames even?? Yikes!
ThePaintedMan
I didn't get any pictures of it - the carnage wasn't easy to see since it's on the front side of the motor which is directly behind the driver's firewall. However I had several chunks of engine case laying on the floor of the chassis and saw the bottom of a rod sticking out through the hole. However it was typical for how these engines blow - they toss a rod out the front which of course is right next to the headers and oil covers the exhaust immediately, resulting in a fire. When we pull the motor I'll get some pictures.

This all stems from the last time the driver had the car out about 2 months ago. I was not with him but I had the car prepped in advance for him. He went out and won the first race, then the next day dropped a ton of oil. Of course, instead of shutting it down, he drove back around to the pits during which time he noticed OP was fluctuating chair.gif . We tracked it down to a 90 degree swivel which had failed, but the engine still had 3 quarts left in it. I of course recommended with a $5k motor that it should be taken apart and bearings inspected, or at least have the oil sent out and analyzed. However, driver decided to button it back up and race it as is. Made it through 4 laps of practice in the morning, then second lap of qualifying it let go. Lesson learned - motorcycle engines do not tolerate any ignorance or abuse at all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.