Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What tools are a "must have"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stags14
I am just starting my tool collection and want to hear what tools you think are a must have for a newbie like myself that wants to work on his 914...
boxstr
MASTER card"priceless". Rust scraper,can of liquid wrench. Actually the big box stores sell complete tool sets usually with a box for a reasonable amount. Sears is always good with there return policy. I also think you can try craigslist for guys selling tools, especially Snap On tools. Which new are more money than you want to know about right now.
I recently purchased a complete rollaround box full of quality tools from a divorce sale. I just hope that when the husband gets out of jail he doesnt come looking for me biggrin.gif .
CCLINTOOLTIME
Brando
Types of tools that are essential:
  • PB Catalyst (might as well invest in their stock)
  • Torch (Bernzomatic or Oxy-Acetelyn work)
  • Sawzall
  • Set of line wrenches, 6mm to 15mm
  • circlip pliers
  • assortment of copper, steel and rubber hammers
  • screwdrivers of all flavors
  • prybars. curled-tips and straight tips
  • sockets, varying ¼" drive to ½" drive all assortments
  • at least 2 sets of box end wrenches
  • ^addendum, 1 set of box-end wrenches that have a swivel and socket on the opposite end
  • BFH.
  • timing light (adjustable if you want to be hardcore)
  • MIG Welder
  • Pneumatic Impact Wrench and large sockets
  • Torque wrenches, ranging from ¼" to ½" drive
  • Pneumatic cutoff-wheel or grinder

...what's in your toolbox? smash.gif
mike_the_man
A 10mm and a 13mm wrench. Everything is 10mm or 13mm on these cars. And lots of penetrating oil! biggrin.gif

lapuwali
A complete set of GOOD combo wrenches (open on one end, box on the other). You'll be using these ALL the time, so don't stint. Craftsman is adequate, but buy better if you can. The cheap $20 Harbor Freight sets are useful for an in the car emergency kit (less painful if stolen or lost), but that's about it. Buy an extra 10mm and 13mm wrench, as you'll use these two a great deal, and you'll often need two at once (locknuts).

1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" rachets. 1/2" breaker bar. 1/4" sockets from 4mm to about 10mm. 3/8" sockets from about 8mm to 19mm. Same set, but in deep well. 1/2" sockets from 13mm to 24mm. 1/2" torque wrench (ft/lbs). Short and long extensions in all sizes.

Needle-nosed pliers and diagnoal wire cutters.

One big-assed cheap flatblade screwdriver (for applying leverage), plus two others in medium sizes. Two Philips in the medium sizes (there is more than one size and shape of point).

A VW CV Joint tool (look in Bug places).

Soft-blow hammer/rubber mallet. Ball-peen hammer.

Vice-Grips.

Handheld shop light. I prefer flourescent (doesn't get as hot).

One good floor jack and a pair of jackstands. IMHO, Craftsman's smaller floor jacks are crap right now, but the bigger Harbor Freight units (like 3 ton) are a pretty good value. A pair of ramps may be preferred (and aren't usually expensive) if you need to get under the car, but don't need to remove a wheel.

This should cover the majority of tasks you'll need to do. One of the big "mechanic's tools" sets from Sears, et al, will have most of these, and aren't a bad place to start if you have nothing at all.

Things that are nice to have: stubby screwdrivers (flat and Philips). Offset box-end wrenches (often have different sizes at each end, and a 10-11mm and a 12/13mm or 13/14mm will be the most useful) can make certain jobs much easier.

You'll eventually start to buy tools in ones and twos as you need them for specialized jobs. Things like big sockets (axle nuts), a second pair of jackstands, scrapers, punches, etc. The above list will be the tools you use 90% of the time, however.
rhodyguy
minimum 2 sets of jackstands biggrin.gif . a box of disposeable latex gloves. does western ny have costco yet? big tool sets at good prices. PBblaster and Aerokroil, penetrants. cv joint bolt tool. a compressor is desireable and some air tools if you have the coin. i've used my mine more recently than i ever have in the past.

k
dinomium
these are all great suggestions. Mine would be to buy polished tools when ever possible. Our cars tend to be VERY dirty and after a short time, the non polished tools just wont come clean anymore. So every time you grab a 10 or 13mm you hand will be greasy. Then your nice Momo steering wheel gets greasy and the telephone and the fridge door then you are in TROUBLE!
I really like the Sears polished combo wrenches. They are fully pollished and are longer than the standard. They are also a good value.
sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif
skline
You already have the most valuable tool available anywhere. Its right here!! 914World.com
mightyohm
I would buy one of the Sears tool sets in the ~$100 range. You will get all the major sockets in 6 and 12 point varities with 1/2, 3/8, and 1/4" drive. This is a great starter and served me well for quite a while until I started to do more major work.

Then I would buy a nice set of metric combination wrenches, don't get the 5 piece sets, get the ones that cover a wide variety of sizes, from 7mm all the way up to at least 19mm, but even up to 24 or 27mm is useful.

Also you will need a good set of screwdrivers in various sizes.

Stuff you will also need sooner or later:
A set of metric allen keys, I like the 90 degree bend kind, not the tee handle kind.

Extensions for 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" if your Sears set doesn't come with a good range of them.

A breaker bar, 1/2" drive, a couple feet long.

Vice grips.

I would buy the first big set from Sears but a lot of the other stuff can be bought from Harbor Freight for pretty cheap. It depends on how much you intend to use it, for someone starting out you don't want to spend a lot on tools you will never use.
rhodyguy
major. a timing light with the adj advance feature. dwell/ohm/continuity/meter. a haynes manual for the garage and the attractive lash manual you can read in the living room, and not get the look when you carry your greasy, dog eared, 10 year old haynes into the house.

k
McMark
My two most necessary tools, the serrated/triple square/12 point 8mm socket for the axles and a set of GearWrenches (ratcheting box end). I prefer the double box end gear wrenches because you should already have a set of standard open end/box end wrenches and who needs a duplicate set of open end wrenches? Plus the double box end are cheaper. wink.gif
stags14
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 21 2005, 12:33 PM)
minimum 2 sets of jackstands biggrin.gif . a box of disposeable latex gloves. does western ny have costco yet? big tool sets at good prices. PBblaster and Aerokroil, penetrants. cv joint bolt tool. a compressor is desireable and some air tools if you have the coin. i've used my mine more recently than i ever have in the past.

k

Would you recommend an oil-free compressor?

Sears has a 33 gallon oil-free on sale for $300.00...
lapuwali
QUOTE (stags14 @ Mar 21 2005, 12:44 PM)
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 21 2005, 12:33 PM)

k

Would you recommend an oil-free compressor?

Sears has a 33 gallon oil-free on sale for $300.00...

Oil-less are seriously noisy. I'd push the compressor pretty far down the "must have" list, unless you're planning on painting. Go electric for grinders/cutters/sanders, and get a small compressor for impact tools, blowing out stuff, and filling tires. OR, wait awhile and spend the bucks on a big compressor (like 10cfm @ 90psi minimum) that's reasonably quiet, which will be enough to run sanders and such.

rhodyguy
as i understand it... the demands you will put on a compressor is something to consider. mine is rated at 7.5 square cubic feet per minute @ 40psi and 5.0 sqfpm @ 90psi. some tools have different requirements. eg: i have a die grinder that requires 3 sqfpm at 90psi. so you have to look on the tool for lower air needed to run it. the duty cycle is shorter than i would prefer and i have to let the compressor catch up often. i bought mine for running nail guns and the like, so it is a portable style. i just put a couple of drops of pneumatic tool oil in the tools before i use them.

k
mightyohm
I would buy things like torque wrenches etc way before a compressor. You don't really need a compressor for most tasks but it can make life easier.
I'd add,

-a set of flare end wrenches, these are great for brake lines, or similar where you need to have an open end but also need as close to a closed end as possible.

-por 15-for sure!!

-a package of zip ties in various sizes

Always Looking
In addition to my polished wrenches (Home depot brand - smooth and long), I use my universal joint 3/8 drive socket all the time - I bought a craftsman for the return policy.

I'm considering a compressor now, but am not sure i need/want it considering the cost. I "might" do my own paint and body, but am still trying to figure out if spending the dough on the compressor and tools would be worth it verses having someone else do the work and paying them. I fugure I'd be into the tools for $400 plus chemicals and lots of time. Still no guarentee i'd do the work. On the other hand, pay someone who knows what the're doing and have it done quick.... confused24.gif
TimT
How come no one has mentioned a Sawzall?

beerchug.gif
Rusty
There are some good suggestions here. Only buy quality tools. The first time you have to stop a job at 8pm on a Saturday night to replace a broken ElCrapo brand tool from Taiwan - you'll understand. And on the off-chance that you do break one, the lifetime warranties come in handy.

If you're looking at wrenches and sockets... get 6 point tools first, because they're less likely to round off bolts.

- Get extra 19mm, 13mm and 10mm wrenches and sockets. It's not that you'll necessarily use them, but sometimes you want leverage on both sides.
- 17mm allen wrench - to check gear oil.
- Timing light and dwell meter.
- Jackstands are a must for safety.

Torches, mig welders, air compressors, impact wrenches are all reallllly nice to have, but aren't on the "beginning tool box" list.

-Rusty smoke.gif

jwalters
wacko.gif When the snapon man shows up--just buy the whole truck--you'll be better off!!!! laugh.gif
MecGen
Uuhhmmm
Someone say

[COLOR=blue]Mig Welder

Cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif
scottb
sweet for me!

i have everything but an impact wrench and the mig....

now i have justification for the purchase to show the wife!!!!! boldblue.gif boldblue.gif

thanks fella's..... beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif
jd74914
1) Craftman Wrench Set (they are expensive, but if anythingbreaks you can always get the replacement for free.)
2) MIG WELDER
jwalters
QUOTE (scottb @ Mar 21 2005, 06:23 PM)
sweet for me!

i have everything but an impact wrench and the mig....

now i have justification for the purchase to show the wife!!!!! boldblue.gif boldblue.gif

thanks fella's..... beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif

huh.gif huh.gif huh.gif

whatcha need a mig for??????--its a porsche!!!!!

German quality don't need no stinking mig--use F/G--!!!

lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif
914helo
Don't forget Berryman's brake cleaner smilie_pokal.gif
Jenny
QUOTE (scottb @ Mar 21 2005, 03:23 PM)

Usually, justification by way of your friends doesn't get you very far. Just brings your friends down a notch!! lol2.gif lol2.gif

BTW, I second Berryman's brake cleaner. It's gud stuff! boldblue.gif boldblue.gif wacko.gif icon8.gif

Jen
ws91420
For your in car kit a AAA card. biggrin.gif
riverman
Beer fridge and an ashtray.
scooter311
Hey Stags whattup naybah

I think the one thing I can't do without is my set of Gearwrenches - full polished, from 8mm to 19mm. Man alive they are awesome. I got them at a garage sale still in the wrapped box for 40 bucks (120 new!), but you can get the same style at Sears on sale for 50 or 60 (I think).

I keep exchanging my Craftsman stuff, so I always heve new tools rolleyes.gif

Oh yeah, never pass up flea markets or garage sales, you never know when you'll find bargain, plus your girlfriend will think you're sensitive and thinking of her when you wanna stop and check out a flea market in Albion, or Avon, or any place around here laugh.gif

teenrookie
An impact driver with multiple tips to help with frozen parts. After you have soaked them.

Two big bags of patience
Racing916
Dremel Tool w/ cut off disks, and a grinder, and also small wire brushes.
SGB
Priorities vary...
I think little stubby screwdrivers are essential. Also allen wrenches. Sockets & wrenches are basics- ya get what ya pay for. Good volt/ohm meter is neede. No one has mentioned a vise. I broke a craftzman one that was so old it was not in the stocking system... They wouldn't replace it so now I buy Husky tools at home depot.
Series9
Here's the best $1800 I ever spent. The argon bottle in this picture is an 80cf. I've since upgraded three times and now have a 150cf bottle. I use the welder frequently on steel, stainless and aluminum.

It's a TIG.
CptTripps
Here's a list of stuff I WOULD buy from Harbor Freight...

4 3-ton Jack Stands - You'll have $35 into a whole set, and always seem to need another.
user posted image

2 or 3-ton 'racing jack' - For $60, it's easy to get the car up and down...
user posted image

FLUORESCENT Work light with retractor - For $20, you can't beat it, bulb ones get too hot for me.
user posted image
stags14
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Mar 21 2005, 04:28 PM)
I would buy things like torque wrenches etc way before a compressor. You don't really need a compressor for most tasks but it can make life easier.

The compressor is a gift for my Father... He is letting me do all my work in his 36x48 heated shop. Going to surprise him with a nice compressor as a thank-you!
Rick_Eberle
A good spark-plug socket that holds the spark-plugs in, and a magnetic thingamee for the ones that get dropped under the sheet metal.

And, these aren't tools, but keep spare throttle & clutch cables with your spare wheel... not for if, but for when...
SpecialK
Here's what I found invaluable to working on 914's:

1) Bandaids (lots of them...various sizes)
2) Tetnis shots up to date
3) Dedicated beer fridge (stocked of course)
4) Sawzall w/12 pack of metal blades
5) Boom-box cranked (to drowned out profanity)
6) Welder (got one)
7) Welding "skills" (still working on that dry.gif )
8) 3 pair of jack stands, but I need one more set if I want to work on my Daily Drivers... mad.gif
9) A quality metric and wrench set (Snap-On baby wub.gif )
10) Everything mentioned in the prior posts...(just a "catchall" since I didn't read the entire post rolleyes.gif )

And last, but not least...The attitude of the "The Little Engine That Could" (I think I can....I think I can...)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.