Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Optima battery retrofit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jamie
I purchased a 34R for teener, but have had no luck finding proper clamp- have lost thread that was discussed here- senior moments??
rhodyguy
go to optima's website, call customer sevice, explain your situation, and ask for one. a Group 78 Adapter. they should send you one.

k
gklinger
I tried that, and while they didn't give me one, they did direct me to Batteries Plus, where I was able to purchase one for about 4 bucks.
rhodyguy
after the last go round the poor soul in c.s. probably got a ton of calls starting with "i have an optima in my....can you send me one of those adapters?". cheap bastards w00t.gif . the 2 local bat stores optima told me to call didn't know what i was talking about, both suggested i call optima. rolleyes.gif

k
bondo
You could always get this from renegade.. but I bet it's more than $4 smile.gif

user posted image
McMark
You can use a piece of fuel line on the stock clamp to make it work. (thanks Trekkor!)

I like getting the Exide Orbital batteries because they fit the stock clamp without modification. It's the same battery technology, so what's the difference? I'll take the one that fits thanks. wink.gif
rhodyguy
but you lose the grain silo look and the groovy "see my fancy battery?".

k
Racing916
If you do not mind doing a little fabrication this is what I did to secure a Optima battery, I wcut and welded a peice of 16 Guage steel to the original bracket. The thing sits in there rock solid. See the attached Pisc.

Steve

McMark
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 21 2005, 10:11 AM)
but you lose the grain silo look and the groovy "see my fancy battery?".

k

No you don't. tongue.gif
Racing916
Pic #1
Racing916
Oh crap it will not let me upload my file
rhodyguy
picture please. don't preview your post, if you are.

k
McMark
Make sure it's a JPG and that it's small enough. Image resize FAQ - here.
xitspd
Aerospce has some cool stuff!
rhodyguy
great look with that one, i like it. bet it's not for the budget challanged.

k
xitspd
Sorry for the small pic. This one is larger. The unit is about the same price as the Battery.
Racing916
Thanks for the input on how to resize pics, Here is the first one
Racing916
Here is Pic #2
Racing916
The Optima battey fits perfect in the back of the stock battery tray in the 2 notches, all you have to do is fabricate the front latch like above
rhodyguy
hard to tell. did you rivet or bolt the tray down?

k
Racing916
The tray is bolted down
rhodyguy
great idea. welding the thing in is so much fun.

k
dlo914
on rare occassions @ work we'd get a good used Optima battery returned by a customer stating the battery is bad, but normally is still good and we resell them for $25 + $8 core charge.....
Racing916
Thanks Rhodyguy, definetly the cheap way to do it, but still functional
JoeSharp
Quick and dirty.
biggrin.gif Joe
rhodyguy
will that pass tech on sunday the 24th?

k
smooth_eddy
When I bought my Optima, I had the same problem with the factory hold down. It just would not work properly. I called and they sent me a plastic hold down that fits the Optima perfectly. They told me it comes with the battery. I did have to trim the battery with a belt sander to fit flat in the tray though. Eddy
Howard
Aluminum Strap. Cheap and secure.
drew365
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 21 2005, 04:18 PM)
will that pass tech on sunday the 24th?

k

Unless the back side is securely held down, no. I had my Optima bolted on one side like that and it tipped over on the track. So I hope you guys are doing a better job than I did. We won't be looking to fail anybody but the battery needs to be really secure.
JoeSharp
The stock bracket is not long enough, mine is. It does not move.
A bracket like that got /L.s car through tech twice.
biggrin.gif Joe
IronHillRestorations
What I do is scallop the back lip of the tray (to match the six pack profile of the battery) as well as the hold down clip, and put a piece of rubber edge trim over both.
Flat VW
I changed to the Optima battery as well. I looked on the board here and others suggested that the "R" (Reversed terminals) was the one to use. bs.gif

After purchasing the 35R and then returning it to the seller, I used an Optima 35, not the 35R as suggested.

The "R" style battery end up with the terminals tucked in toward (kind of under, in fact) the body of the car.

Too close to a "ground fault" (positive voltage to ANY metal componet on the car) for me.

The electrician in me would not "have it".

With the standard terminal configuration, the terminals are out toward the engine where they can be accessed for charging, disconnection, service and such.

This configuration also allowed me the space of adding a "quick disconnect device" (about six dollars) so that when car work involving the electrical system is needed it is simple to matter to just "turn it off". mueba.gif

Additionally if one wanted to they could remove the "quick disconnect key" (kind of a bolt really with) and disable the car, not the ultimate "car theft" answer, but as my father would say "better than a sharp stick in the eye!" slap.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.