Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT:DeLorean Dies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TROJANMAN
NEWS STORY

didn't he design the tapiro? lol
dinomium
Father of the GTO... Too bad we only remember the Cocain trial.
RIP John Delorean; Car GUY!
Aaron Cox
how many deloreans were sold with 'snow' tires? lol2.gif

yeah, innovative car guy.....too bad beerchug.gif flag.gif
rhodyguy
we should all be fortunate to live so long and have such an interesting life.

k
Qarl
Really weird... on Saturday, Susan and I took the Lotus out to stretch it's legs.

We were briefly followed by a Delorean.

I NEVER see them on the road any more.

And then we came home and heard the news story...

(insert creepy music here).

Regards,

Qarl
Mueller
I saw one in Berzerkly a few weeks ago, very few sightings indeed...I see more high end Ferraris than DeLoreans....

I do know of shop that painted a DeLorean in this bright florecent green/yellow....I liked it biggrin.gif
Toast
I've been watching my "Back to the Future" trilogy set.
It's funny to hear the cracks they make about the Delorean. Yet they depend on it to get them to and from their destionation throught time travel. dry.gif
dmenche914
do not forget teh Canadian built Bricklin that delorean was jnvolved with, nor his work in importing cars to the USA I believe he had a hand with Subaru in the 1960's, and with Fiat. (Didn't he work on keeping the X19's imported?
mikey
didn't he design the tapiro? lol

From Autobahn.com:

This is the fourth prototype produced by an ItalDesign partnership, and is the favourite Giorgio Giugiaro.

A research prototype for a new VW-Porsche sports car in the spirit of the VW/Porsche 914/6. It was built in 1970 by Giorgetto Guigiaro's ItalDesign studio on a commission from Volkswagen, using modified mechanicals and platform from the 914/6. The aircooled 6-cylinder engine, termed a "Porsche-Bonomelli", produced 220 hp from 2.4 liters. Not surprisingly, the Tapiro bears a strong family resemblance to the DMC DeLorean, also designed by Guigiaro ten years later.

The wedge shape, large areas of glass, agressive profile, and the way the in which the windscreen hardly breaks the sharp angle of the nose are all favourite themes of the Turin stylist and combine together magnificently on this standard VW-Porsche platform.
The windscreen supports, the doors, the transparent engine-compartment covers, and the rear panel are all joined by the central spine to form a cohesive whole.

Rgreen914
QUOTE (dinomium @ Mar 21 2005, 09:09 AM)
Father of the GTO...

I don't know...seems to me that "Ace" Wilson (Royal Pontiac) and Jim Wangers also had something to do with the creation of the GTO.

Ron
TROJANMAN
"he was instrumental in introducing several innovative vehicles, including the Pontiac GTO and Firebird, and the Chevrolet Vega."

GTO, Firebird, DeLorean,
and.............. VEGA?

Hawktel
I'm said to hear that he died. The Delorean car was pretty revolutionary. You don't see many of them, but, tellingly enough, you remember when you do.

beer.gif Rest in Peace John D.
jd74914
I never knew he designed the GTO.

Delorians were sure different tho, especially the early ones that had windows that didn't open (and had problems at toll booths and when their ventilation systems broke. I saw one a few months ago. They are cool. biggrin.gif

Its really to bad that he died. sad.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Mar 21 2005, 01:56 PM)
do not forget teh Canadian built Bricklin that delorean was jnvolved with, nor his work in importing cars to the USA I believe he had a hand with Subaru in the 1960's, and with Fiat. (Didn't he work on keeping the X19's imported?

The Bricklin SV 1 club site makes NO mention of involvement by John De Lorean in either the Bricklin or Subaru ventures, and I never heard that before. As for the X-19, I doubt he was involved in that, either. The Cap'n
dinomium
QUOTE (Rgreen914 @ Mar 21 2005, 02:12 PM)
QUOTE (dinomium @ Mar 21 2005, 09:09 AM)
Father of the GTO...

I don't know...seems to me that "Ace" Wilson (Royal Pontiac) and Jim Wangers also had something to do with the creation of the GTO.

Ron

JD was never an auto engineer or stylist, but a biz man that greenlighted and championed some milestones.
rhodyguy
say what you will, a vega with one of those cosworth engines was a fast little car for its day. i like the body design and what, it rusted? i'm sure jd knew how to stroke the corp heads, esp when he told them how many tempests were sold as gtos.

k
dmenche914
I think he was involved with Bertone which is the name plate on the later X19's Might be wrong, but that is what I heard.

I'll check on the Brickland again, I think I can retrace the source of info on that.

Lou W
I never heard of any involment with Delorean and the Vega, he was President of Pontiac Motor Division. He was involved with the design of the recessed windshield wipers and putting a 389 cu in engine with three two barrel carbs, 4 spd trans in his own Pontiac Tempest, that later evolved into the GTO.
I drove a Delorean that a freind of mine bought new, I think it sticked in just under $20,000.00, they were getting up to $30,000.00 in dealer markups. I felt real clostophobic with the inability to roll down the windows, all the had was a small window that would open instead.
Johnny Carson had a Delorean, he got pulled over for drunk driving, the rumor was that he was driving down the street with both doors open. huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.