Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seattle area 914 needed for test drive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KELTY360
A guy I know is interested in getting a 914, but he's fairly tall and wants to make sure he'd fit comfortably to drive one. My car is down due to shifting problems and a main seal leak so I'm looking for someone who would let this guy do a short test drive. He's actually owned 914s in the past but he was much younger then and wants to make sure it would still work for him.

So, is there anybody from the Puget Sound area that would be willing to help? (I thought of Greenie but he had some lame excuse about his engine being on the garage floor...sheesh) slap.gif
iwanta914-6
how tall is your friend?

I've asked this question before since I'm 6'4" and most people say that it shouldn't be a problem. I've heard 1st gear can be a challenge and a smaller steering wheel can be beneficial. Also I guess the seat pad can be taken out to allow for a bit more head room.

I still don't have one and haven't test drove anything so I cannot speak from experience, just from what others have told me in the past.
Bruce Hinds
mine's running either....
KELTY360
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Feb 18 2016, 11:08 AM) *

how tall is your friend?

I've asked this question before since I'm 6'4" and most people say that it shouldn't be a problem. I've heard 1st gear can be a challenge and a smaller steering wheel can be beneficial. Also I guess the seat pad can be taken out to allow for a bit more head room.

I still don't have one and haven't test drove anything so I cannot speak from experience, just from what others have told me in the past.

I'd say he's about 6'2". I've known quite a few tall people who have 914s and they seem to fit just fine. Smaller steering wheel helps, hadn't thought about the seat bottom but that would also be a plus.

I think he just wants to reassure himself before he jumps back in to the madness.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Feb 18 2016, 11:12 AM) *

Did you mean to say it's not running, Bruce? BTW, you're a fairly tall guy; how does the 914 fit for you?
SirAndy
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 18 2016, 11:20 AM) *
I'd say he's about 6'2". I've known quite a few tall people who have 914s and they seem to fit just fine. Smaller steering wheel helps, hadn't thought about the seat bottom but that would also be a plus.

I think he just wants to reassure himself before he jumps back in to the madness.

I'm 6'2 ish and have plenty of room in my 914.

A smaller steering wheel really helps, i have a 350mm Momo.

Only downside of such a small wheel is that i had to turn the tach upside down on my 5-gauge dash to be able to see the turn signal indicators and rotate some of the other gauges slightly for the important info to be visible.
smile.gif
sdthomas
Your friend is welcome to drive mine. The idle is a little rough but he'd find out if he fits. It looks like the weather is supposed to clear up mid-next week so maybe we could arrange something then.

-Shawn
Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 18 2016, 12:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Feb 18 2016, 11:12 AM) *

Did you mean to say it's not running, Bruce? BTW, you're a fairly tall guy; how does the 914 fit for you?

yeah, writing too fast . . . life's short! Never time to do it right, but I always seem to find time to do it again. confused24.gif
greenie
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 18 2016, 10:58 AM) *

A guy I know is interested in getting a 914, but he's fairly tall and wants to make sure he'd fit comfortably to drive one. My car is down due to shifting problems and a main seal leak so I'm looking for someone who would let this guy do a short test drive. He's actually owned 914s in the past but he was much younger then and wants to make sure it would still work for him.

So, is there anybody from the Puget Sound area that would be willing to help? (I thought of Greenie but he had some lame excuse about his engine being on the garage floor...sheesh) slap.gif

I would be willing to let him sit in my car, you can stand next to him and make engine sounds.

He could slide the seat all the way back, you could then get in and put the telephone book and pillow behind ( like you use in your car) your back to demonstrate the flexibility and range of the seating.
KELTY360
QUOTE(sdthomas @ Feb 18 2016, 11:30 AM) *

Your friend is welcome to drive mine. The idle is a little rough but he'd find out if he fits. It looks like the weather is supposed to clear up mid-next week so maybe we could arrange something then.

-Shawn

Thanks Shawn, I'll let you know.
KELTY360
QUOTE(greenie @ Feb 18 2016, 11:54 AM) *

I would be willing to let him sit in my car, you can stand next to him and make engine sounds.

Better yet, I'll just use my phone to make a recording of a sewing machine and play that for him. poke.gif
Andyrew
My dad is 6'2 and has driven mine and my moms back in the 70's. Small seat cushion and a smaller wheel and its peaches and cream.
Bruce Hinds
How much weight has he gained? Part of it depends on how long his legs are too. I'm 6'3" and my pants are a 34" inseam, I fit fine and only recently put in a smaller seat cushion. Not that I really needed to, but the seat was shot and made a new cushion, my but's small enough that seat to fit. I'm now 210 lbs.

Bottom line(pun intended) it's just depends. If he had one before, he should have a pretty good idea. Getting out may be more of a challenge.
RickS
6'3" and fit with a small wheel is no issue. He should be fine as long as he buys a smaller wheel.
messix
where does he live
Ky914Newbie
I got my 914 from my father in law. He is 6'7" and enjoyed driving it.
aircooledtechguy
He can drive mine if he wants to venture this far north. I'm 6'3" and have a stock wheel and fit fine. I don't have a center console though which helps if you're tall and have Bozo feet like me.

IMHO if you have a center console and are tall, you must use a smaller wheel or you're have issues.
PanelBilly
I'm tall and fat and still fit. He can come watch me get in and out of my car while you make engine sounds..... I might even start my engine.

Are you paying attention to our weather. I'm not pulling the car out in this stuff.
audio_file
Kelty, my silver '75 is available for him to drive here in Everett too... also with a smaller steering wheel (momo)
Sh#*, if he likes it enough, he can drive it home biggrin.gif

Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.