Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cracked Dashboard
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kellygeorge
First post! I just got my 914 and joined the forums. Its a beautiful 72 that needs some work but is running well. I was wondering what the best options are for restoring a cracked dashboard? Ive seen the new vinyl to replace the top, and the covers that fit over the original dash. Anyone have experience with these and had good looking results? Is is possible to fill in the cracks and repair, or is a full dash replacement the best way to go?

Thanks for your help and insight. I've already learned a lot about the 914 from browsing the forums. Im excited to be a part of it.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Go to 914 Rubber.com and buy a new top and the all the vinyl you need to do the job one time.
halmil
I used JustDashes in SoCal and loved the results.

They tear down your dash to the core and then use new foam which won't crack and vacuum fit the new vinyl. Its perfect.
76-914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 18 2016, 02:59 PM) *

Go to 914 Rubber.com and buy a new top and the all the vinyl you need to do the job one time.

agree.gif
bandjoey
If you're not up to a new dash there is a dash cap that looks 'almost' factory and hides the mess for a while. Ebay and several suppliers
kellygeorge
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 18 2016, 05:59 PM) *

Thank you all. Eventually I will probably buy the whole $500 dash replacement from 914rubber.com, but for now I have ordered the top vinyl replacement.
ndfrigi
mine has a dash cap. But no idea who made it since I bought the car with it last 2011.

Click to view attachment
kellygeorge
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Feb 18 2016, 06:43 PM) *

mine has a dash cap. But no idea who made it since I bought the car with it last 2011.

Click to view attachment

Wow that does look good. And I love the rest of the interior. Nice work.

I have a question about your Porsche horn button. Mine is some lame brand name of the wheel. If I just purchase a new button on Amazon do you think it is possible to just pop the old one off and place the new one in there?

Click to view attachment
tweet
QUOTE(kellygeorge @ Feb 18 2016, 08:36 PM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Feb 18 2016, 06:43 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Wow that does look good. And I love the rest of the interior. Nice work.

I have a question about your Porsche horn button. Mine is some lame brand name of the wheel. If I just purchase a new button on Amazon do you think it is possible to just pop the old one off and place the new one in there?

Click to view attachment

Measure the back side of the horn button. Most of them are a standard diameter for aftermarket wheels. You can also measure the opening in which it mounts. The horn buttons are held in place with a spring clip and simply pop off.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(halmil @ Feb 18 2016, 04:00 PM) *

They tear down your dash to the core and then use new foam which won't crack and vacuum fit the new vinyl. Its perfect.

How much did they hit you for if you dont mind me asking? Have been thinking of shipping both of mine to them.
Larmo63
I have done a plastic dash cap on both of my cars. i know it is a temporary fix, but it sure does cure the problem. There are basically two different types on eBay. I chose the one that has the "grained" look versus the "pebble/sandpaper" finish. You have to be a smart shopper there and look at the details.
horizontally-opposed
welcome.png

Always wanted to be the first say that. biggrin.gif

And congrats on the car! The 914 is one of Porsche drives, period. Don't let anyone tell you different.

For those commenting here, I'm curious if the two vendors mentioned for replacement or refurbishment offer products with EXACTLY the same grain as the factory dash. Some I've seen just aren't the same grain...

pete
Matty900
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 18 2016, 09:19 PM) *

welcome.png

And congrats on the car! The 914 is one of Porsche drives, period. Don't let anyone tell you different.

For those commenting here, I'm curious if the two vendors mentioned for replacement or refurbishment offer products with EXACTLY the same grain as the factory dash. Some I've seen just aren't the same grain...

pete

The ones from 914Rubber.com are an exact match. In the how install video Brad talks about this https://youtu.be/QZPoQd_V-6o
bigkensteele
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 18 2016, 09:19 PM) *

welcome.png

pete

The product that 914rubber offers is an exact match to the factory grain. I know this because Mark used my NOS pad to pull his mold. The original part was unfortunately trashed in the process. However, when he sent me the new part, I could not tell the difference. It is that good. I would go so far to say that it is better than an NOS pad because he uses modern construction techniques and stainless steel for the substructure.

Make no mistake, Mark (914rubber) brings products to the marketplace to make money, but he understands that customer satisfaction is the only way that he will sustain profits and maintain growth.

There are other vendors who reproduced NLA parts with very low quality and they have expected us to just accept it, and there are other vendors who have produced low quality parts and marketed them at very low prices to seduce us. Mark is producing high quality parts at reasonable prices and actually listens to his customer base. What more could you ask for from a vendor?
dovsky
QUOTE(kellygeorge @ Feb 19 2016, 12:56 AM) *

First post! I just got my 914 and joined the forums. Its a beautiful 72 that needs some work but is running well. I was wondering what the best options are for restoring a cracked dashboard? Ive seen the new vinyl to replace the top, and the covers that fit over the original dash. Anyone have experience with these and had good looking results? Is is possible to fill in the cracks and repair, or is a full dash replacement the best way to go?

Thanks for your help and insight. I've already learned a lot about the 914 from browsing the forums. Im excited to be a part of it.

Another option is to have the dash wrapped with carbon fiber. I've recently repaired one for another forum member, thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=275357&hl=. Granted it's not for everyone but it gives some another cool option.

Before:
Click to view attachment
After:
Click to view attachment

Finish choices are High-Gloss (shown above) or Satin (recommended to eliminate glare). For more information visit my website: http://www.compositedimensions.com/porsche...ircfrp-wrapping
xperu
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 18 2016, 09:58 PM) *

I have done a plastic dash cap on both of my cars. i know it is a temporary fix, but it sure does cure the problem. There are basically two different types on eBay. I chose the one that has the "grained" look versus the "pebble/sandpaper" finish. You have to be a smart shopper there and look at the details.

I agree, I've had a cap on my car for ten years and it looks good and I spent my money elsewhere. If you are building a daily driver, it a good option. Mike
Darren C
Hi Kelly,

I see from your photos that your windshield is damaged.
If your budget allows I'd repair your dash while the windshield is out (during replacement)
This makes it far easier to re-glue or replace the vinyl on the top of the dash giving you better access, especially as you can change the rubber seal between glass and dash at the same time, With this seal off you can glue the vinyl across the base of the windshield and around the blower vents.
914rubber sell all the parts you need.
It can all be done with the glass in the car, but as yours is all busted on the passenger side anyways I thought it would make life easier for you to combine it with the shield replacement
Shredhead
QUOTE(halmil @ Feb 18 2016, 06:00 PM) *

Cost?
ndfrigi
another picture how it looks just the dash area

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Shredhead @ Feb 19 2016, 11:21 AM) *

Cost?

About 2x what a new dash from 914 rubber cost
tweet

Cost?

It is not cheap at all. I contacted them once a few years ago. I was told that a dash rebuild would be $1000-$1200. The problem with this method is that sometimes they build up the dash core too much and change the dimensions. So, when the customer gets his dash back, fitment is very tight and re-installation is a pain. Mark's product appears to be as easy to install as the original oem dash.
halmil
I think is was around $700.

As I said, they take the old piece down to the core and replace the open or closed cell foam with the other. I cannot remember off hand which is which. So now it should not crack again as this type of foam does not expand and contract as the other kind does which caused the cracks in the first place.

I am very happy with the results

Check out the video of their process on their website and call if you want a current price quote
puffinator
I called last year and as I recall they quoted me $1200 and said the backlog was 9-12 months.
GregAmy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 19 2016, 11:59 AM) *

Cost?

About 2x what a new dash from 914 rubber cost

Recover was a viable option before, but with Mark producing new repro dashes today - and they're very very good, I'm quite pleased with mine - I just don't see why anyone would do that today (or why we would recommend newbies that direction...)
JoeD
I'm just doing my interior with dash top, carpet, seals, vinyl etc. from Mark / 914rubber. The dash top is fantastic, and the fit is perfect:

Click to view attachment

Was a b!tch to install, but I learned a lot about my car in doing so.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Darren C @ Feb 19 2016, 08:06 AM) *

Hi Kelly,

If your budget allows I'd repair your dash while the windshield is out (during replacement)
This makes it far easier to re-glue or replace the vinyl on the top of the dash giving you better access, especially as you can change the rubber seal between glass and dash at the same time, With this seal off you can glue the vinyl across the base of the windshield and around the blower vents.
It can all be done with the glass in the car, but as yours is all busted on the passenger side anyways I thought it would make life easier for you to combine it with the shield replacement

agree.gif You also need a new dash to windshield rubber seal. There are threads here on replacing the windshield. Not a bad job. You will need new windshield clips and the butyl for installing.
Mblizzard
I know the $$$ are tough on the 914 Rubber dash but not saying anyone's suggested options are cheap. But I have just learned that it is hard to find options that exceed the value per dollar that you can get from 914 Rubber. Do what is in your budget but if you want to do it once and right go to 914 Rubber.
slotty008
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Feb 19 2016, 12:43 AM) *

Click to view attachment

ndfrigi, did you remove the AC dash console?(looking at the pic you must have had an AC) Did you do anything to the central console afterwards? I have the same problem and been thinking about a solution.
kellygeorge
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 19 2016, 12:19 AM) *

welcome.png

pete

Thanks Pete!
kellygeorge
QUOTE(Darren C @ Feb 19 2016, 08:06 AM) *

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the tip.
kellygeorge
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Feb 19 2016, 05:21 PM) *

I know the $$$ are tough on the 914 Rubber dash but not saying anyone's suggested options are cheap. But I have just learned that it is hard to find options that exceed the value per dollar that you can get from 914 Rubber. Do what is in your budget but if you want to do it once and right go to 914 Rubber.

Yeah it looks like that is the best way to go for a complete solution.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(slotty008 @ Feb 19 2016, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Feb 19 2016, 12:43 AM) *

Click to view attachment

ndfrigi, did you remove the AC dash console?(looking at the pic you must have had an AC) Did you do anything to the central console afterwards? I have the same problem and been thinking about a solution.

yes my 75 1.8 has an AC before. The center console has that gap on top between the
console knee pad (lower dash). Previous owner added some flywood painted black to cover the gap. I used to have on my stash a nice clean console for No AC but I mistakenly sold it.
r_towle
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 18 2016, 10:58 PM) *

Could you post a pic, up close?
hmssaab
Just finishing a 914 Rubber dash top install. Excellent!
Now to figure out how to diagnose / remove a leaking wash valve in the steering column.Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.