Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter and CV joints trouble
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Always Looking
Sorry to mislead with the title....

My CV joints are different left and right. Passenger side has four screws holding the axle in and the drivers side has six (two of which have no screws so axle grease is being thrown about under there = Dirty) Question: should I just screw in two new screws or is there a reason they are not there? huh.gif

Second issue:
I took out the shift lever from the car and noticed a lot of play at the connection between the shift lever and the rod that travels to the transmission.. Is this supposed to have play? The reason I took it apart was that I could not shift into fourth (R,1,2,3,5 all good). screwy.gif (I have all new bushings throughout (but the rear most one does not fit around the shift rod very well (1/16 inch all the way around) Also, I saw a notch that the base of the shift lever for fifth. Is that supposed to be there?

I'm at work, so no pics until tonight.

Thanks in advance beerchug.gif

ChrisReale
The CV's have 4 bolts and two plugs that act as support for the cv bolts.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Always Looking @ Mar 21 2005, 01:55 PM)
Sorry to mislead with the title....

changed the title for 'ya and bumped it! wink.gif

oh, and btw.
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Dave_Darling
The six-bolt CVs are likely VW units. I forget which VW they are out of, but they don't hold up as well as the stock parts. I've seen a few of them come off or come apart under load. So far, mostly on the outboard side, which is nice because they don't flail around and trash the transmission and starter and exhaust when the outboard end lets go.

Note that some six-bolt CVs are 911 parts, but they don't bolt up to the stock 914 bits gracefully (different flanges needed I think) so it's very unlikely you have those.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.