Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some help with tire purchase
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
Tell me where and what tires to buy. I want 205x60x15. What are the best high performance tires I can buy in that size and who has them in stock for sale? Thanks.
horizontally-opposed
The pickins are slim. sad.gif

I've been looking for a good choice in 205/60R15 for a long time. Check my 215/60R15 thread for my 8-year odyssey to find high-performance 15-inch tires.

In your favored size, I think you are limited to:

1. BF Goodrich Radial T/A
Doesn't look too high performance to me, but maybe it has advanced under the skin?

2. Hoosier Speedster
Great performance once hot, I am told—but the Hoosier people are very against seeing the tire on a street car.

3. Yokohama A048
I hear good things, but treadwear is rated at 60 and they're $216/ea. Then again, they may be a better pick than the Hoosiers.

4. An uninspiring selection of Camry-oriented all-season and touring tires.
I just couldn't go there, even if they're better than period 914 tires. Find some of 'em here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchRe...7&zip-code=

I eventually toyed with 195/65R15 and 215/60R15 Pirelli P6000s, as they were the only summer tires I could find in a size near 205/60. But the 215s wouldn't fit in the rear of my narrow body without fender mods, and by the time I was going to 195s, I decided to try 185/70 Avon vintage race/rally tires. Maybe someone else has a hot ticket I missed, or is new to market?
steuspeed
Yokohama A048

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes
PancakePorsche
I used the Yokohama A048's on 7 inch cookie cutters on my track car. No complaints. Price is high but pretty standard for any good D.O.T.
somd914
Tire Rack is worthy of purchasing from.

Might you want to consider 205/55x15 which opens it up a little more in respect to performance, or better yet 205/50x15 which is what I'm getting ready to install - Dunlpp Direzza Star Specs.

But when you say high performance, are you thinking track or performance in respect to street? And are you running 6" or 7" wheels? I'd want 7" for 205s and performance.
Cal
Michelin MXV4 205/65/15.....decent tires at a fair price.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/mic...cs=205&x=30
mepstein
Street on 6' cookies. No on the 65's or 50's. 55's only if I can't find anything in a 60 series. (There ain't much)

Luckily 914's already handle so well that they don't rely on the tire to do all the work like some modern cars. The great handling is built in and I feel I can get by with a decent tire if I can't find a great tire. At least the tires in this size are cheap.
rgalla9146
Hey Mark
Why not 205 / 55 ?
As already mentioned, there are "performance" choices and reasonable price too.
Also they look tall enough.
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 19 2016, 08:30 AM) *

Hey Mark
Why not 205 / 55 ?
As already mentioned, there are "performance" choices and reasonable price too.
Also they look tall enough.

Ok. But choices still look slim
mepstein
Hey, all you California guys, don't even think about suggesting 50's. I live on the east coast. We have these things in the road called potholes. I'm sure you've never seen one biggrin.gif but they are rim killers. 60's can sometimes give you a fighting chance.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cal @ Feb 19 2016, 07:14 AM) *

Michelin MXV4 205/65/15.....decent tires at a fair price.

Too tall. No need to ford any rivers biggrin.gif
somd914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 19 2016, 08:40 AM) *

Hey, all you California guys, don't even think about suggesting 50's. I live on the east coast. We have these things in the road called potholes. I'm sure you've never seen one biggrin.gif but they are rim killers. 60's can sometimes give you a fighting chance.

I run 40s on my Suby DD as does my wife on her Bimmer DD, 40s and 50s on the other toys with no issues in MD. Don't think you'll see much difference between 50s and 60s in that respect. Also keep in mind that a 205 on a 6" wheel gives a lot of sidewall bulge decreasing handling. Just food for thought...

As for potholes, just think of them as an opportunity to test your handling and dodge them biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(somd914 @ Feb 19 2016, 09:06 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 19 2016, 08:40 AM) *

I run 40s on my Suby DD as does my wife on her Bimmer DD, 40s and 50s on the other toys with no issues in MD. Don't think you'll see much difference between 50s and 60s in that respect. Also keep in mind that a 205 on a 6" wheel gives a lot of sidewall bulge decreasing handling. Just food for thought...

As for potholes, just think of them as an opportunity to test your handling and dodge them biggrin.gif

Bosses wife just killed a pair of 40's on her dd bmw on her commute into philly during the last rain storm. The puddles hide the potholes. I'm not driving in the rain but my rural area doesn't get potholes fixed until summer. And I'm just being stubborn as usual.

Sidewall bulge is gud on these old cars.
76-914
I remember hearing my Dad and Grandpa saying, "The roads always get better during Election Years". shades.gif
scott_in_nh
I will probably stay with a 195 60 15, but has anybody tried the Falken Ziex ZE950 or Falken Ziex ZE329?

Not a sticky AX tire, but at least look more aggressive then the typical DD all-season tires and the price is right

ZE329

ZE950

somd914
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Feb 19 2016, 02:56 PM) *

I will probably stay with a 195 60 15, but has anybody tried the Falken Ziex ZE950 or Falken Ziex ZE329?

Not a sticky AX tire, but at least look more aggressive then the typical DD all-season tires and the price is right

ZE329

ZE950

Had a set of ZE950 - very disappointed with them in respect to grip and noise.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(somd914 @ Feb 19 2016, 03:17 PM) *

QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Feb 19 2016, 02:56 PM) *

ZE329

ZE950

Had a set of ZE950 - very disappointed with them in respect to grip and noise.

Thanks, anybody with the 329's - they look more aggressive.....
Ian Stott
I run on 205/60 15's, Bridgestone Potenza, no track, spirited driving sometimes, and I like them.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Geezer914
I just replaced my BGGoodrich Sport Comp-2 205/60/15's with a new set of the same tires, size 195/55/15. The 205/60/15's rubbed the front inner fender wells when turned lock to lock. Sams Club has a promotion on BFG tires, $50 off when you buy a set of 4. Ends 2/21/2016. driving.gif
Larmo63
I had 205/65 x 15 Yokohama AVID Envigors on the car I sold.

I'm running the same tires in 60 series now. I like them.
turk22
I got the Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 205 60R15

I like em, no rubbing, and good ride

Click to view attachment
barefoot
QUOTE(somd914 @ Feb 19 2016, 05:54 AM) *

Might you want to consider 205/55x15 which opens it up a little more in respect to performance, or better yet 205/50x15 which is what I'm getting ready to install - Dunlpp Direzza Star Specs.

But when you say high performance, are you thinking track or performance in respect to street? And are you running 6" or 7" wheels? I'd want 7" for 205s and performance.

Tire rack great for doing research, but charge for shipping. Do your selection there and go to another site that does not charge shipping, it's a bit hit !
mepstein
QUOTE(barefoot @ Feb 20 2016, 05:23 PM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Feb 19 2016, 05:54 AM) *

Tire rack great for doing research, but charge for shipping. Do your selection there and go to another site that does not charge shipping, it's a bit hit !

I agree. Probably buy from my local Costco if I can get the tire I want.
TheCabinetmaker
I'm partial to the kumho exsta mx in 205/60. As for tire rack, figure tire cost, shipping, then mounting and balance. I always find a local dealer that does it all and saves me at least fifty bucks. Decided on the tire you want, then do some old fashioned phone work. You'd be surprised!
mepstein
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 20 2016, 05:34 PM) *

I'm partial to the kumho exsta mx in 205/60. As for tire rack, figure tire cost, shipping, then mounting and balance. I always find a local dealer that does it all and saves me at least fifty bucks. Decided on the tire you want, then do some old fashioned phone work. You'd be surprised!

We have a tire machine at my shop. If I pick up from the Costco that's 5 miles from me, there's no shipping charge. Tires are for street and are going on 6" cookies.

To throw a little controversy in the mix, I use 3 ounces of air soft plastic pellets in the tire to balance the wheel. No wheel weights. smile.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 20 2016, 02:46 PM) *

To throw a little controversy in the mix, I use 3 ounces of air soft plastic pellets in the tire to balance the wheel. No wheel weights. smile.gif

Okay, I'll bite.

Been curious about this method since hearing about it.

Tire noise an issue? Discernible? Is there a minimum speed needed before it works, and/or a maximum speed at which point it doesn't? Have you done it with modern cars/wheels/tires? Does that affect how many ounces you use?

Pretty interesting, to be sure!
mepstein
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 20 2016, 09:49 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 20 2016, 02:46 PM) *

Okay, I'll bite.

Been curious about this method since hearing about it.

Tire noise an issue? Discernible? Is there a minimum speed needed before it works, and/or a maximum speed at which point it doesn't? Have you done it with modern cars/wheels/tires? Does that affect how many ounces you use?

Pretty interesting, to be sure!

I did it on my other 914. Works perfectly at any speed. No noise.

Edit - my other car only made it to 95mph. It's a 1.7. This car will have a 3.2 so...
bandjoey
OT. Several tire pellet threads here. It does not work good with low profile tires. Google it and you'll find charts online as to what they work in. I tried it in 195/65/15s and it didn't work for me.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Coondog
205-55-15 Click to view attachment
Bulldog9
I usually buy from simpletire.com or discounttiredirect. Simple tire has a wide variety, many brands I never heard of.

As for what tire, pick the size and style you want, and do a size search.

I geeked out when I bought my tires, went with Falken ZIEX 912's couldn't resist putting 912 tires on a 912..... If I had a choice, I would put Michelin Pilot Sports on all my performance cars...

I have no idea what size you want, I assume 195/60 15's would be a good start check this out. http://simpletire.com/catalog?select=1&...egory=2,11,10,1
raynekat
Just bought a set of Yokohama S Drive 205x15x55.
Seems like a compromise between low and high profile.
thelogo
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 18 2016, 08:43 PM) *

The pickins are slim. sad.gif

I've been looking for a good choice in 205/60R15 for a long time. Check my 215/60R15 thread for my 8-year odyssey to find high-performance 15-inch tires.

In your favored size, I think you are limited to:

1. BF Goodrich Radial T/A
Doesn't look too high performance to me, but maybe it has advanced under the skin?

2. Hoosier Speedster
Great performance once hot, I am told—but the

Maybe someone else has a hot ticket I missed, or is new to market?

Hot ticket is neto or neato Japanese touring tires on the front

And Continental touring tires on the rear .

But neeto tires supposedly no longer exists
So just go all for continental,
Ride a mt.bike with continental tires and youll see what i mean av-943.gif smoke.gif
thelogo
Tires.
they are the only thing holding you on the road .

Accurate psi makes any tire a great tire beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.