Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine bay originality question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
mountainroads
I've been told that some 914s have the extra hoop/clamp at the center of the trunk wall through which the rear trunk lid torsion bars pass, and some don't. This is in addition to the four smaller clamps holding the trunk lid torsion bars, that all 914s have. Does anyone know why there's a difference and what determined if a car came with the extra hoop or didn't? Was it a simple early car / later car thing? Thanks in advance.

- MR
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 19 2016, 10:49 AM) *

I've been told that some 914s have the extra hoop/clamp at the center of the trunk wall through which the rear trunk lid torsion bars pass, and some don't. This is in addition to the four smaller clamps holding the trunk lid torsion bars, that all 914s have. Does anyone know why there's a difference and what determined if a car came with the extra hoop or didn't? Was it a simple early car / later car thing? Thanks in advance.

- MR

I have to say that I thought ALL of them had the center hoop. My late '72 does. Have to wonder how the rods could be controlled without it.
914work
Nope early car thing. Probably Mid 73 -74 changed over to w/o.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914werke @ Feb 24 2016, 06:55 PM) *

Think I'd retro in this case
mountainroads
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 24 2016, 05:51 PM) *

QUOTE(914werke @ Feb 24 2016, 06:55 PM) *

Think I'd retro in this case

Not a "retro" item for me (1970), but my plan is to reinstall the middle hoop, per original. I've been told the center one really provides no additional functionality. Perhaps why they dropped it in the later cars?

- MR
sixnotfour
Yes the 1970 should have it.......Is your 914-6 the one Bob Humphrey used to own and they cut the trunk for CIS...
I saw it at the dealership, when they where building it..
mountainroads
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 31 2016, 12:55 PM) *

Yes the 1970 should have it.......Is your 914-6 the one Bob Humphrey used to own and they cut the trunk for CIS...

Hmm. That's a very interesting question. I can tell you that the owner I bought it from told me it was originally purchased at Humphey's in Everett, and has stayed in Western Washington it's entire life. The engine is a 2.7 which was advertised as "RS spec" when I bought it. I don't know about the CIS part, since it had carbs and non-standard cams when I bought it. I'm still in touch with previous owner and can ask. Now you've got me curious. This car is Tangerine, if that helps. Thanks for posing the question.

- MR
mountainroads
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 31 2016, 12:55 PM) *

I spoke to PO today and this car was indeed owned and tracked by Bob Humphrey, back in the day. PO said the car had a very tired 2.7 with carbs on it when he bought it, so he couldn't speak to the CIS part. He replaced the 2.7 and I upgraded further with more modern cams and Carrera tensioners. My understanding was the removable panel was for easier access in general and not just to accommodate CIS, but who knows?

- MR
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.