Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch replacement help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcav
Im in the middle of doing the clutch on my 1975 1.8 and had a coupel of questions. How do i get the shifter rod off, and the top bolt of the starter at the top of the transmission, im stuck with these two parts and i can not figure it out.
brant
QUOTE(jcav @ Feb 19 2016, 03:45 PM) *

Im in the middle of doing the clutch on my 1975 1.8 and had a coupel of questions. How do i get the shifter rod off, and the top bolt of the starter at the top of the transmission, im stuck with these two parts and i can not figure it out.

the shift rod is held with an allen bolt that pins the two pieces of rod together

the starter bolt (if stock) is a metric 17mm head on one side and 15mm head on the other...

so in the engine bay is the other head (nut really) to that bolt
you can use two people, or you can usually get away with putting a box wrench on it and go underneath to loosed the bolt.
injunmort
is the engine/trans still in the car? if so .remove them, makes everything infinitely easier.
jcav
Ok so i got the pin with the allen bolt out , but how do i get the shift rod to slide out of the support thats attached to the transmission.

The starter is stock, ill check that out tomorrow , i have everything else removed.

Thanks for the reply!
jcav
QUOTE(injunmort @ Feb 19 2016, 02:53 PM) *

is the engine/trans still in the car? if so .remove them, makes everything infinitely easier.

Yes theyre both still in the car, but i have a bit of a space constraint where im removing the transmission
brant
QUOTE(jcav @ Feb 19 2016, 03:56 PM) *

Ok so i got the pin with the allen bolt out , but how do i get the shift rod to slide out of the support thats attached to the transmission.

The starter is stock, ill check that out tomorrow , i have everything else removed.

Thanks for the reply!

another similar allen bolt (pin) is under the rear coupling of that rod at the tranny
its under a plastic cover where that rod enters the rear tranny attachment point.
then pull the long shift rod down at the coupling near the firewall
once its below the belly pan, slide the rod forward (front of car) until the rod clears the tranny bushing and falls out.
jcav
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 19 2016, 03:03 PM) *

QUOTE(jcav @ Feb 19 2016, 03:56 PM) *

Thanks for the reply!

another similar allen bolt (pin) is under the rear coupling of that rod at the tranny
its under a plastic cover where that rod enters the rear tranny attachment point.
then pull the long shift rod down at the coupling near the firewall
once its below the belly pan, slide the rod forward (front of car) until the rod clears the tranny bushing and falls out.

Oh ok i see what you mean now thank you very much!!!!
Bobby Smith
Just my 2 cents...clutch job is much easier just removing trans. and NOT the engine.
PotterPorsche
Agreed. Especially when u have dual carbs and linkage.
r_towle
Top starter bolt stays in place, the nut is removed from the engine bay.
You cannot get a socket on the other side, and do not need to.
injunmort
i stand corrected, it is so much easier removing heat exchangers, exhaust, starter, and jacking the motor on the mounts to the trans off the studs and lower it. goes back together easier too. those 8 nuts on the carbs are a monster too. much easier to get starter and top trans bolt. there is so much room under there to access everything in situ, it reminds me of the engine bay of my k10.
Steve
I would pick up a 914 Haynes manual if you don't have one. Before the internet I did everything with that book.
TheCabinetmaker
Don't remove the heat exchangers! Support them with some wire at the rear and remove the muffler and starter. the trans will come down between the exchangers. I never remove them unless absolutely necessary. Studs fall out, break off, and strip threads in the head. Avoid causing your self extra work. Don't forget to support rear of engine case.
jcav
Thanks all for the advice!!!!! i have the transmission dropped , and the heat exchangers on and the motor still in the car, it wasn't that bad and was fairly straight forward.

I appreciate all the help and the use of this forum!!!
TheCabinetmaker
aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.