Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many Hell Holes can there be?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
Click to view attachment
looks like something found a home.
Gunn1
Click to view attachment
Sure glad I cleaned that out! does anyone have any hints on repairing something like this. welder.gif
tweet
cut it out and buy some headlight buckets from a donor car
dlee6204
QUOTE(gunn1 @ Feb 20 2016, 09:58 AM) *

[attachmentid=
Sure glad I cleaned that out! does anyone have any hints on repairing something like this. welder.gif

Remove the entire headlight bucket and replace with a good one cut from another vehicle. It shouldn't be too hard to find one.
mepstein
Cut out rusted meted. Replace with donor metal or fab from new sheet steel.
914Sixer
Nothing unusual about finding rotted out headlight buckets. Depending on what part of the country you live in, they could be filled with anything from pine needles to maple leafs. In Texas, dirt dobbers filled the hole. All blocked the drain hole and filled with water. The rust worms went to work.
r_towle
There is only one hell hole.

Before you go too far into this restoration, you need to take a long hard look at the real hell hole, and the drivers side long also to determine if you have enough structure left to save the car.

All the rest of the rust is normal.
jmill
I changed out both of mine. You can even drill them apart and build one using good pieces from a couple of them. Below is a pic of the bucket removed to see how it's attached. There's also a spot weld on the bottom of the drain tube.

The piece at the bottom can stay in but I removed it because it was damaged. Pull off the front bumper. You can see where it's spot welded to the front panel. Drill out spots. Cut seam seal with putty knife and hammer. It helps having a 90 degree drill where it's welded on the side. You'll have to remove paint and seam seal with wire wheel to see spots. Again use putty knife and hammer to separate. You'll also have to drill off the bracket the holds threaded rubber hood spacer deal. I cut bucket at a 45 degree angle where it meets the weather stripping channels.
Gunn1
Click to view attachment

Drivers side, before rocker panel removal
Gunn1
Click to view attachment

Drivers side long rear
Gunn1
Click to view attachment

Along the long, driver side
Gunn1
Click to view attachment

drivers side by council
Gunn1
Click to view attachment

passenger side consul
Gunn1
Click to view attachment

Crack in passenger replacement long
jmill
A lot of work needed on that one. I'd punt.
Larmo63
Good luck on that tub. It may be time to look around for something better.
Gunn1
All ready on it...been evaluating what I have that's good on the car and what's not so good.

stay tuned
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.