Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winter Project - Megasquirt Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom Perso
I just got my Megasquirt kit (stimulator, main board, and relay board) in the mail last week, along with a DIY-WB board.

I just got the MS built and working on the stimulator. Everything works great!!! I get injectors firing, FIdle works, enrichment circuit kicks in - it's cool stuff!!!

user posted image

You can see in the pic above the Fuel Pump light is on and one of the injector bank lights are on. Cool stuff.

user posted image

Now, I just need to get out in the garage and make the car fuel injected again.... ar15.gif blink.gif confused24.gif smash.gif

I'll get there!!!!

Later,
Tom
rick 918-S
See, I need to get a life and do something cool like that! mad.gif It's way over my head, but it's cool! clap.gif
Tom Perso
It's actually easier than you think. If you get the kit from Glensgarage.com, he labels all the components and then it's just following the instructions. If you can hold a soldering iron, you can build one of these!!!

It's sweet to see it hooked up to the computer and see the recording software register all of the inputs (RPM, TPS, etc, etc).

Now, I just need to make my TB mate up to a plenum and get a TPS. And wire, and wire, and... smilie_pokal.gif huh.gif

Later,
Tom
DNHunt
Tom

Here's something to think about. I would suggest mounting the ECU inside the car away from heat and dust. That you need to run a DB37 cable through the firewall. A DB 37 is a huge connector, if you don't want a huge hole you have to solder the connections in the car. Pain in the ass. Believe me you'll only do it once so plan your cable carefully.

Here's my suggestion. Move the MAP sensor off the ECU board and into the relay board enclosure. Dedicate 3 of the ground wires in the cable to the MAP. It will keep the vacuum line much shorter and all of the sensors will be in the engine compartment.

Rick

You could do it

Dave
fiid
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Mar 22 2005, 06:31 AM)
Tom

Here's something to think about. I would suggest mounting the ECU inside the car away from heat and dust. That you need to run a DB37 cable through the firewall. A DB 37 is a huge connector, if you don't want a huge hole you have to solder the connections in the car. Pain in the ass. Believe me you'll only do it once so plan your cable carefully.

Here's my suggestion. Move the MAP sensor off the ECU board and into the relay board enclosure. Dedicate 3 of the ground wires in the cable to the MAP. It will keep the vacuum line much shorter and all of the sensors will be in the engine compartment.

Rick

You could do it

Dave

Rick-

You could definately do it.

As for running a DB37 through the firewall - remember you don't need all 37 conductors....

Just the standard instructions for the MS are really very easy to follow, and the whole thing is set up so you can test the board after about every 20 minutes of soldering. After a couple of hours, the whole thing just works. It's a beautiful thing.

Most of the components have part numbers marked on them - the caps and resistors can be a little tricky, but help there is available via the ever-knowing google.

fiid
The subaru TPSs from any modern imprezza are quite easy to adapt to the DJet throttle body - you just need to make a little mounting plate for it.

lapuwali
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Mar 22 2005, 06:31 AM)
Tom

Rick

You could do it

Dave

My own plans on this are putting the MS into a better, waterproof enclosure (Hammond sells several), and use waterproof connectors instead of the DB37 and the DB9 (I'm using plastic round connectors with O-rings). I'll then mount the MS into the engine bay near (perhaps in place of) the relay board. From the measurements made by 3-4 people over the years, the temps here are relatively low, generally 45-50dC on a hot day, which is well below the 70dC the MS will tolerate.

Some people have reported what appear to be heat related problems when mounting it in the trunk. Temps there appear to actually be higher than in the engine bay, with one measurement being about 65dC on a hot day. The rear of the engine bay seems to be significantly hotter than the front of the engine bay.

The DB37 and DB9 are, frankly, one of the worst aspects of the stock MS board. For the MSII board, I've heard they're considering using Ampseal waterproof connectors, since the HC12 processor they'll be using can tolerate 125dC, which means it would survive even if you mounted it directly to the cases.

Just have to finish this other car so I can get back to the 914...

TravisNeff
So the parts at glensgarage.com - are they everything you need for hardware/software (excluding actual FI components)? Thats only a couple hundred bucks, I always thought it was over $1k??
type11969
megasquirt = inexpensive. I got mine for about 200 bucks for everything through a group buy.
Tom Perso
Hey Guys,

I am out the door, with shipping, for around $260. That included the MS board, enclosure (CNC machined ends), relay board, and stimulator. It's cake and cheap.

Dave,

I'll be running the relay board in the engine compartment and running a wiring harness to the center console where the computer is going to sit.

I'll have to look into the TPS issue, I am running a Volvo 240 TB and it's only an on-off switch.

Later,
Tom
SteveSr
Tom,
I briefly scanned over the Megasquirt website so maybe you can enlighten me.
Don't you need a cam/crank sensor to make this system work?
Also is there any reason why I couldn't fit this to my GM v6?

SteveSr
fiid
Megasquirt only needs a tach signal. You could get this with a crank sensor - or just use the negative side of the coil.

If you want to run EDIS for ignition, you need a crank sensor, but a cam sensor is not necessary.

lapuwali
Indeed, a cam sensor won't work with any current MS setup. MS itself wants a tach signal (one pulse per TDC event).

MS will not only work with your GM V6, but it's pretty much guaranteed that there are several already running it. Search on the MS board and you'll almost certainly find some information on that setup. There are a lot of GM guys there. Chances are very good you'd be able to get exact tuning data for that engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.