Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: sheetrock question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chunger
Hello,

I was wondering if it's possible to mud over MDF. . . I have a couple of wall panels that are MDF faced, and I'm wondering if I can mud and tape the corners that abutt sheetrock with normal drywall compound.

-'Chung
Trekkor
You might try a stucco bonderizer to seal it first.

KT
bondo
Keep in mind that the real reason for sheetrock is fire resistance. Depending on the situation, the MDF may keep it from being up to code.

Regular tape and mud would probably work, but I've never tried it. Use the setting type mud, it's stronger than the premixed stuff.
riverman
Regular drywall compound might not bond to the MDF the same because the porosity is not the same. You might have to glue your cornerbead down to keep it in place.

Never tried it, so don't know for sure.
scruz914
I have never textured over MDF. I have textured over plywood and solid pine. No problems with the compound or tape. You might want to sand the MDF with 80 grit to give the surface some tooth. I would also make sure that the MDF is solidly attached to the studs or whatever it is covering. Use drywall screws. You will have to drill pilot holes and counter sink. The screws will never bury into the MDF and will break if you try without counter sinking.

-Jeff
chunger
I'll give it a shot. I have a test piece drying right now to see if it holds up, but if it works on pine, it should be ok w/ MDF.

As for fire code, there is 5/8" drywall underneath the MDF.

-'Chung
Bleyseng
Prime the MDF first and then it will work. BTDT
rhodyguy
like geoff said. use plastic corner bead and use the spray adhesive to hold it on. you might scuff the mdf a bit first.

k
URY914
If you are taping to the MDF and the SR you'll have a crack in the mud for sure. Two different materials= cracks. sad.gif

You need to seperate the materials not try to connect them with mud and tape.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.