Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: changing the Exchanger
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
I have a set of exhaust manifolds with the heat exchanging jackets on them. see attached

The heat jackets have no holes but they are loose, they slide forward and backwards on the inner pipes. And a portion of the pipe where it exits the jacket close to the flange that mounts on the muffler is pitted badly. I also have a set of new exhaust manifolds/Pipes that are "Naked" (no Heat jackets)

Wondering if I could carefully take the heat jacket's off the pitted up pair and install them on the new "Naked" pipes. Effectively making a new set of heat exchanger pipes

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
The new set I want to install the Heat jackets on
Click to view attachment

Any help, advise or past experiences with these would be most appreciated.

Thank you
Gunn1
here's a better shot of the new set of pipesClick to view attachment
maf914
Okay, I have never done this before, but how workable is the steel used for heat exchangers? Not just new HE's, but used 30+ year old HE's.

My first thought is that as you try to open the crimped or folded seam around the heat exchangers the metal may be too brittle from corrosion or work hardening and begin to break up. Then you still have to reverse the process during reassembly, as you refold and crimp the seams closed, which may result in more fatigue failure.

I hope someone who has tried this weighs in. With HE's NLA, repair or rebuild may be the only way to go.
7TPorsh
Your new set of pipes looks like a header and not factory tubes...?
Gunn1
Short of taking the tubes off the car and comparing them the two measure up simularly.
r_towle
QUOTE(gunn1 @ Feb 22 2016, 03:04 PM) *

Short of taking the tubes off the car and comparing them the two measure up simularly.

Which you need to do anyways seeing as you are going to pull the motor....

biggrin.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 22 2016, 07:32 PM) *

QUOTE(gunn1 @ Feb 22 2016, 03:04 PM) *

Which you need to do anyways seeing as you are going to pull the motor....

biggrin.gif

your a persistent little cuss.....Ha
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.