Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New User and 914 Engine Siezed / SS Fuel Lines / Water Damage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Natemx42
Hi All, new user here. Started resurrecting my dads '72 914 with 6cyl swap. Been over 4 years since last dyno tuned and auto crossed.

Started with replacing fuel lines on my first stage of making it safe and drive able. Had a summit racing fuel cell sitting on the shelf. Swagelok fittings supplied by good friend. Everything was mocked up with copper, and is now in the preliminary fitting stages. More to follow on this.

Next was check throttle action. Found a big problem. Don't know the firing order, but found a pool of water in the intake manifold of furthest rearward, passenger side cylinder. Not good. Luckily that valve was closed, and draining the oil showed no water. Cleaned that intake area and the rust wiped right off. The Weber 46 IDA is still seized with rust and will need a complete overhaul. For now I'll finish the fuel lines and send car on trailer to engine builder to asses.

Input and suggestions welcome.

Pictures to follow.

Edit: Pictures added below. Dropped in at the engine shop. Car was last dyno tuned in 2010 w/ 195hp at the wheels.

Swagelok Fittings Sample
Natemx42
Pictures added.
Natemx42
Pictures Added
Natemx42
Tight Quarters Riv Nut Tool
bandjoey
Good looking pedal board. What's the material it's made out of?
Good luck with the car. welcome.png
Natemx42
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Feb 21 2016, 07:33 PM) *

Good looking pedal board. What's the material it's made out of?
Good luck with the car. welcome.png

Made from a $20 cutting board from Home Goods. Lots of hack saw and filing work. Can't cut with a jigsaw because the plastic melts behind the blade!

Throttle stop in the makings:

Edit: bolts will be countersunk and matched.
Andyrew
What blade did you use to try and cut that on the jigsaw? I cut up some cutting boards with ease when I had to make some spacers. Used a wood blade IIRC.
Natemx42
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 22 2016, 11:04 AM) *

What blade did you use to try and cut that on the jigsaw? I cut up some cutting boards with ease when I had to make some spacers. Used a wood blade IIRC.

I can't recall the tooth count, but it definitely seemed rough like a wood blade.
Natemx42
Today's update...pulled the plugs and tried to turn the wheels. Definitely seems seized.

Bummer.
QUOTE(Natemx42 @ Feb 21 2016, 05:06 PM) *

Pictures added.

These webbers look as though they will need lots of love to get them up and running again. Unless you have all the tools and skill set. I would suggest you send them to Paul Abbott in Northern California / Oregon to have him rebuild them for you. Good luck.
Natemx42
QUOTE(396 @ Feb 22 2016, 11:47 PM) *

These webbers look as though they will need lots of love to get them up and running again. Unless you have all the tools and skill set. I would suggest you send them to Paul Abbott in Northern California / Oregon to have him rebuild them for you. Good luck.

I won't be doing the engine work. I'm an amateur with only a handful of motorcycle engine rebuilds under my belt (2014 YZ250).

Engine and carbs will be serviced by the pros at Paradise Motorsports in San Marcos, formerly VW Paradise.
zambezi
Nate,
Pull the starter too and check if the engine can be turned over. I have seen this before that the bendix of the starter can get stuck in the extended position and lock the flywheel. It has happened to me twice and is the reason I switched to a gear reduction starter.
Natemx42
Today's update... Just for fun I tried to turn the engine without going through the transmission (at the wheels). With a wrench on the lower fan pulley, the engine moved with very little force! I didn't turn it for fear of dragging the possible debris through the cylinders...but it's a good sign.

Back to mounting the fuel cell...
sb914
:wttc:where are you in so cal?
struckn
welcome.png

Looking forward to seeing your progress. Nice to hear that it was your Dad's car, I have my Dad's 69 Chevy SWB C10 Pickup and it will be passed on to my Grand Son some day.
porschetub
QUOTE(Natemx42 @ Mar 1 2016, 03:45 AM) *

Today's update... Just for fun I tried to turn the engine without going through the transmission (at the wheels). With a wrench on the lower fan pulley, the engine moved with very little force! I didn't turn it for fear of dragging the possible debris through the cylinders...but it's a good sign.

Back to mounting the fuel cell...

You could pull the plugs and put some spray lube down into the cylinders,let it sit for a day or 2 and try cranking 1 full rotation by hand,remember to only turn clockwise however.
If the engine has oil in the tank there shouldn't be any harm turning it over on the starter if it free's up.
Natemx42
QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 29 2016, 01:08 PM) *

remember to only turn clockwise however.

Which way is clockwise? Direction of travel would mean turn clockwise towards passenger side; facing the fan pulley would mean clockwise turn towards drivers side?

Also, what is the reason for this?
Natemx42
QUOTE(sb914 @ Feb 29 2016, 08:55 AM) *

:wttc:where are you in so cal?

Orange
Bartlett 914

[/quote]

[/quote]
Why would that matter? I had an engine that was sitting a long time. Carbon had built up and then flaked off. This stopped the cylinder from rotating a full turn. i could go back and forth but not fully around. In my case, I pulled the heads and cleaned out the carbon. It was mostly loose powder.
Natemx42
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Mar 1 2016, 04:09 PM) *

Why would that matter? I had an engine that was sitting a long time. Carbon had built up and then flaked off. This stopped the cylinder from rotating a full turn. i could go back and forth but not fully around. In my case, I pulled the heads and cleaned out the carbon. It was mostly loose powder.

I believe on a dirt bike you would only turn in the normal direction because, for instance, if you installed the cam chain tensioner improperly you could slacken the chain and skip a tooth. Touching a piston to valve because of a cam spinning backwards...I don't know. Seems like it makes sense to turn in the normal operating direction though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.