Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speaking of Holes....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dakotaewing
I need (read want) to cut or drill some holes in a couple of spots in my car...
Some of these will be on the top of the center tunnell... I want these to be perfectly round, not a hack job with a sawzall... I am thinking at least 1.5" in diameter... What do I use to do these? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but hole saws or bits, from what I have seen, are for wood - not metal... wacko.gif

Thanks
scotty914
normal hole saws will do metal but you will have some clean up to do, then there is the unibit or stepped bits are the way to go, pricey but the way to go.
jim912928
go to lowes...they sell a slew of hole saws of various diameters with the starter drill bits in the center for metal. That is what I used to drill the perfectly round holes for my front sway bar.
dakotaewing
QUOTE (jim912928 @ Mar 21 2005, 11:43 PM)
go to lowes...they sell a slew of hole saws of various diameters with the starter drill bits in the center for metal.  That is what I used to drill the perfectly round holes for my front sway bar.

Cool!
Thanks Jim -
scruz914
When cutting metal run the drill slower than you would when cutting wood. A hole saw will eventually cut through. Give it an occasional rest to cool down. You might want to drill a pilot hole with a slightly smaller bit than the one in the hole saw. A pilot hole will insure that you end up with your final hole where you want it. Be careful at the end of the cut. With all of the pressure you will probably be bearing down with the bit and saw can break through into the tunnel and you could damage the wires or fuel lines underneath.

-Jeff
dakotaewing
QUOTE (scruz914 @ Mar 21 2005, 11:53 PM)
When cutting metal run the drill slower than you would when cutting wood.  A hole saw will eventually cut through.  Give it an occasional rest to cool down.  You might want to drill a pilot hole with a slightly smaller bit than the one in the hole saw.  A pilot hole will insure that you end up with your final hole where you want it.  Be careful at the end of the cut.  With all of the pressure you will probably be bearing down with the bit and saw can break through into the tunnel and you could damage the wires or fuel lines underneath.

-Jeff

Jeff,
Thanks for the heads up, but ALL that stuff is YANKED.... I want to drill these holes before I do a major rust clean up/restore of the center tunnel..
Everything is out, the tunnel needs to be treated for rust, and everything replaced...
-Thom
TheCabinetmaker
Thom, Lowes. Bimetal hole saw. piece of cake
Flat VW
One will also get a better result when using hole saws in steel if one applies some WD-40 (or equal) to lubricate (and cool) the bit and the steel to be cut.

If one uses the lube they may get the hole saw to cut many more holes than just one. clap.gif

I think one will find with the lube added , one will not need to 'rest" the hole saw although one may need to rest one's arms.

John cool_shades.gif

Boy, that is a lot of 1s idea.gif

JWest
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Mar 22 2005, 08:21 AM)
Thom, Lowes. Bimetal hole saw. piece of cake

I agree - bimetal works well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.