Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo trip knob
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cal
Any suggestions on how to remove a stripped screw from this trip knob....or should it be replaced? If replaced, who sells them?
76-914
That should be an easy removal.
Cuda911
Can't you just use a small screw extractor like a Grabit?

Anyway, I messed around with my trip meter for quite awhile trying to get it to work properly, then gave up. The cable flexes around when you turn the knob, and gets jammed up under the dash. No idea why they thought this was even close to a good design.
Larmo63
That screw looks like a phillips. I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be slotted…..
Cuda911
^^^ Yep, a small slotted set screw.

By the way, they are different in the early and late cars.

pete000
Glad I am not the only one who has struggled with the reset cable. On my 74 if I mount it into the dash hole the cable binds and will not turn freely. I ended up leaving it hanging just under the dash. With it not in the hole it unbinds the cable allowing it to work properly. Not quite as elegant as it should be, but it works! I agree "Bad Design"
nancy2809
hi
I think so you can replace it and sell it on olx.
ruddyboys
Never thought about it before, where on the dash is it mounted?
RohJay
QUOTE(ruddyboys @ Feb 22 2016, 04:22 PM) *

Never thought about it before, where on the dash is it mounted?

Below the dash. Close to steering column.
mepstein
Only use it when the car is not moving.
76-914
It was probably turned inward too far. They begin to bind or cinch towards the end when tightened. Order a #40 & #30 left handed bit from McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/#left-hand-drill-bits/=118hz45 and step drill it. It will probably come out on one of the drill bits but if not an easy out will get it at that point. Or order another knob from Bruce Stone. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.