Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fire Extinguisher Systems, What Cha Got and Why?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
john914somers
I'm researching fire extinguisher systems for my race car and I would like to know what people are using? What brand? Type? How many nozzles and why? How big? I see a lot of options out there and I'm uncertain which direction to go? There must be some sort of "certification, approval", agency/documentation one must have but I'm not sure. Thanks for your input!
ThePaintedMan
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp...upID=FIRESYSSPA

This is what I went with. The AFFF foam is good stuff and won't corrode the car if it ever goes off. I went ahead and got the big bottle, despite the weight. I don't ever want to say, "wish I had gotten the bigger one and the driver (or car, to a lesser extent) might have survived."
Bill's Racing 914
Call Mark Goodman at Racing Fire Systems in Oregon Phone: 503 784-1878 e-mail: service@racingfiresystems.com

He has the best prices.

For a 914, use a three nozzle Aqueous Foam system with a 3.375L bottle. Any bigger and you would most likely drown in the foam.

On a 914, I recommend a nozzle pointed at the engine, one under the steering wheel pointed at you and one pointed at the fuel cel up front. I you were to add a fourth nozzle, I would have two nozzles in the engine bay, one pointed at each set of carbs. AN engine fire is going to come from a carb backfire, oil on the exhaust or a busted fuel line.

If you have an engine fire, you do THREE things in this order....1. pull the fire handle....2. turn off the electrical kill switch...3. get the heck out of the car. You should be able to get to the kill switch from inside the car. Why?...to turn off the fuel pump. If you forget to turn off the kill switch, you might get to watch your car burn to the ground. I have seen this happen even though the driver dumped the fire system......nozzles are not always perfectly aimed to put out a fire.

I also recommend two pull handles for the fire system. One on the center console for the driver to pull and one behind the driver for easier access for the flag workers to pull. This should be right next to the electrical kill switch so they can access both at the same time. They are trained (or at least they should be) to pull the fire handle and turn off the kill switch.

Don't forget to mark both fire handles with a circle "E" sticker placed fairly close to them. When I am on the grid lined up with the other cars to go out on the track, I makes sure the corner workers and the fire crews know where the handles and the electrical kill switch are so there is no guessing at the last minute.

Tell Mark it is for a 914 and he will set you up.
Jetsetsurfshop
I used the same set up as George. I also put my outside fire pull and kill switch on the drivers side. Two reasons, if I managed to get out of the car and forgot to pull either one I don't have to run around the car and if the corner workers have to pull me out they car it helps them too.
I'll try to find a couple pictures.
driving.gif
campbellcj
I have the Spa 4L AFFF system with 4 nozzles: top of engine/carbs; top of fuel cell; driver's body; and footwell.
brant
if you go with halon (or halotron)
Do NOT put a nozzle in the cockpit
you can suffocate and pass out in the car

happened to friend of mine and luckily he only had minor burns when his friends pulled him (unconscious) out the window of a 914/6 that burned to the ground.

he pulled the release pin and passed out before he could crawl out of the car.
Cracker
I'm late to this discussion but here is what I ultimately decided upon. I started looking at the "Safecraft" products due to Marty's window net pic in his build. One thing led to the next and I've gone 100% Safecraft for all of my safety gear. I chose the LE5 electric system for my fire bottle system. The quality and fit/finish was impressive to me. I'll post pictures eventually, once the system is installed. I found the best deal and descriptions on a website called "Winding Road" - FWIW.

Tony
stugray
I have a Firecharger refillable system with three nozzles: One on the fuel cell, one above the engine pointed at the carbs, and one below the steering wheel pointed at the driver's crotch.

The pull handle is right next to the Driver's side rear-view mirror so I can reach it as well as any track workers.

Then I ALSO have a halotron 2.5 lb extinguisher on the center console next to the driver.
john914somers
Thanks guys for the great information! I ended up going with Mark Goodman's advice, which was a 4 lb, 6 nozzle system. He is a really knowledgeable, helpful guy and I would recommend him! Thanks again!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.