Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valvoline VR1 on sale....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
At Autozone

Selling for $4.19 a quart. There is no promotion or signage. In fact, the clerks don't even know it.

I picked up 16 qts earlier and plan to buy more when the truck comes in. A posting on Pelican tipped me off...

Valvoline VR1 sale
stugray
Thanks!

Just bought 10 quarts for $45
steuspeed
That's a good price!
TheCabinetmaker
Damn! Just did my first oil change today on the new engine
$6.49 @ Oriellys.
turk22
Thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna run over there and get me some beerchug.gif
somd914
Will have to check out our local store on the way home from work tomorrow. Thanks!
billh1963
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Feb 22 2016, 07:26 PM) *

Damn! Just did my first oil change today on the new engine
$6.49 @ Oriellys.

Yep...changed oil on one of the Carrera's Saturday...paid $6.19+tax a quart. Changed it too early headbang.gif
Big Len
There are 2 VR1 products. One synthetic, one conventional. Which is on sale?
TravisNeff
I added the dino oil to my cart, it gave a discount but then it said not available. Not sure what that means
stugray
QUOTE(Big Len @ Feb 22 2016, 08:27 PM) *

Get the dino version "racing" make sure the bottle says VV211 on the back upper right corner of the label and in the description on the back it mentions high Zinc.
billh1963
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Feb 22 2016, 11:09 PM) *

I added the dino oil to my cart, it gave a discount but then it said not available. Not sure what that means

You cannot buy online from what I have heard. Go to the store
billh1963
QUOTE(Big Len @ Feb 22 2016, 10:27 PM) *

The VR1 conventional is the one we are all buying.....
bcheney
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Feb 23 2016, 07:47 AM) *

Are the Zinc levels in this stuff comparable to Brad Penn or other quality conventional 20/50's
billh1963
QUOTE(bcheney @ Feb 23 2016, 08:24 AM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Feb 23 2016, 07:47 AM) *

Are the Zinc levels in this stuff comparable to Brad Penn or other quality conventional 20/50's

VR1 zinc content advertised as 1200 ppm

Brad Penn zinc content advertised as 1500 ppm..however, the thread here with a lab analysis shows 1113 ppm to 1540 ppm depending on the lab (Brad Penn Lab results)

Long story short, you have mothing to worry about smile.gif
80cap
Advanced does not have it on sale.
Big Len
Just curious....Why would you want to run conventional when the synthetic has the exact same amounts of additives including zinc and phosohorus counts of 1400 ppm?
billh1963
QUOTE(Big Len @ Feb 23 2016, 02:50 PM) *

Just curious....Why would you want to run conventional when the synthetic has the exact same amounts of additives including zinc and phosohorus counts of 1400 ppm?

Oh Lawd.... lol-2.gif

There are so many threads on that it's not even funny

Start by googling synthetic oil in old Porsche engines popcorn[1].gif
t collins
Thanks for the heads up, just got 16 qts from my local AutoZone
Big Len
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Feb 23 2016, 03:04 PM) *

Oh Lawd.... lol-2.gif

I didn't realize my question was so funny. Perhaps someone with more of a brain than a funny bone can answer my question.
billh1963
QUOTE(Big Len @ Feb 23 2016, 09:04 PM) *

Oh Lawd.... lol-2.gif

I didn't realize my question was so funny. Perhaps someone with more of a brain than a funny bone can answer my question.

Why don't you try google? You will find plenty of reading material.

As far as the brain versus funny bone comment......chill out...it's all good
bandjoey
Still works today. $4.19 after disc
cooper951
What weight do you guys use? I'm in central Missouri.
stugray
QUOTE(Big Len @ Feb 23 2016, 07:04 PM) *

Oh Lawd.... lol-2.gif

Here are the first three I came across:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=249898
http://lnengineering.com/resources/2014/02...bs-racing-oils/
http://www.randbaldwin.com/index.php/914-and-oils/

The short answer is: Use whatever Jake Raby says (and you need to stay current, what he said 10 years ago does not apply today).
He has done more Oil research for these cars than anyone else I know of.
GregAmy
QUOTE(stugray @ Feb 24 2016, 01:55 PM) *
The short answer is: Use whatever Jake Raby says (and you need to stay current, what he said 10 years ago does not apply today).

So, forgive my curiosity...if Raby is recommending Joe Gibbs Driven, why are we getting all cranked up on a sales price for Valvoline VR1?
Big Len
I read the Raby, the LN, and several World threads and articles.

My question pertained to if you are using VR1, why would you choose the dino over the synthetic version? I called Valvoline and they said the formulation is the same with equal amounts of added zinc and phosphorus. So if that's true, is there something about synthetic oil that the previous people believe is ruinous to an older, air cooled Porsche motor? If that's true, consider that Driven is a synthetic and BP is a blend. Even Porsche's new classic oil is made for 356's, 911's, and 914's and is synthetic.

I drive 4000 miles a year strictly for pleasure and change the oil once a year. I feel I don't need to pay the exorbitant price of a quart of Driven when BP or VR1 will do fine.

BTW - Penn oil is $77.00/case of 12 with free shipping on Amazon.

What am I missing here?
stugray
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 24 2016, 02:01 PM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Feb 24 2016, 01:55 PM) *

So, forgive my curiosity...if Raby is recommending Joe Gibbs Driven, why are we getting all cranked up on a sales price for Valvoline VR1?

In MY case I read all of the threads about various oils, and compared some test results and decided for my car VR1 is adequate.
And as frequently as I change my oil (race car) I was not going to spend the extra on Joe Gibbs or Brad Penn.

However I DID use Jakes break-in oil and first load after break-in with Jakes very own blend(s).
dlkawashima
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/
GregAmy
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Feb 25 2016, 07:56 AM) *

Executive Summary?
dlkawashima
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 25 2016, 05:46 AM) *

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Feb 25 2016, 07:56 AM) *

Executive Summary?

- Valvoline VR1 Conventional: Outstanding performance at normal (230 degrees) operating temperatures, effectiveness breaks down at elevated (275 degrees) temps

- Joe Gibbs: LS30 and DT40 were outstanding, BR30 finished dead last

- Brad Penn: None of the Penn Grade 1 oils did well in these tests

Shortcut: Go to the article and press the CONTROL key (COMMAND if using a Mac) and the F key simultaneously. Then type in VR1, Gibbs, etc. to quickly find where these oils placed in the rankings.

Mike D.
How many here have rebuilt an engine based solely on an oil that was used in it?
poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.