Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cylinder spacers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type47
barrel shims, whatever you want to call them.... these are used to obtain desired deck height. i thought there would be alot more options out there since this step has been emphasized as very important. i found some available in .010", .020", .030".... but of course, in my first measurement, i would need .025" on one of the cylinders sad.gif so just a couple of questions:

what are your sources of cylinder spacers?

can you stack cylinder spacers? (i don't see why not, just want an expert to confirm)

DNHunt
I wouldn't stack them. 2 more interfaces to seal per cylinder. I had Rimco machine some for me. Course mine were like .140 caose of the different components. I'd call them.

Dave
Joe Ricard
You can do it this way and save the wait. Find some aluminum sheet .025 thick and cut your own. I cut Rob Watsons .040 shims that way and they were very consistant. Use a gasket cutter. UNLIKE a machinist that would try to cut them on a lathe..... never get them all the same. Not to mention cost you an arm and a leg.
Jake Raby
I have every cylinder shim from .007 clear to .350 on the shelf... In increments of .010 and some increments at .005 for common sized shims.
DNHunt
There you go. Looks like Jake's got you covered! smilie_pokal.gif

Dave

Type 4
If you need a custom size like .027 or such I can provide them.
I make them to your specs.
nebreitling
stacking them is pretty common, but i've heard of some people not wanting to use more than one. looks like steve or jake has you covered.

hey steve -- parts shipped. sorry for the delay, i've been behind on things the past week.
rhodyguy
how great was the dif on the big one as compared to the others? what is considered acceptable without there being some cause for concern? why would one cyl measurement be so much greater?

k
type47
i went back today and remeasured the deck. i tried to be over careful; checking and double-checking that was at TDC. i determined that the deck is .020" on 3 and .025" on 1 cylinder. so, if the desired deck is .055", looks like i'll be talking to jake..... there needs to be more procedure info, technical info and parts info on this. i'm sure this step is necessary on every engine, but i would think all the big parts web sites would offer cylinder spacers.

now i do happen to recall that in a certain type IV rebuild video, deck height procedure was missing idea.gif (and i bought the video just for that info....)
Jake Raby
On that particular video the info was purposely left out to keep things simple for a first timer building a 100% stock non modified engine.... (other than the oil pump)

The video we are producing in the spring will have more of this type of info than anyone could ever want, so if some of it's boring- don't bitch!

One of the articles I'm working on for my new technical portion of the aircooled technology site goes over deck height in vast detail.... In the mean time if you buy the shims from me I'll help you figure out what you need.......

Most big warehouses don't stock the shims because they are a lot of work to make unless you build engines and have to have them....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.