Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CL: 1974 2.0L Olympic Blue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
iwanta914-6
Someone buy this before I do because I'll end up living in it after getting kicked out of the house! lol

http://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/5459826393.html

IPB Image
ndfrigi
wow that will sell fast!
MikeInMunich
Damn! Not in the position I'd like to be to take it with one in the garage and one arriving on a ship tomorrow, but I would buy this car for that price in a heartbeat if I were. sad.gif
billh1963
This may be a great deal; however, due diligence is required

Wonder why there is no script in the back? Maybe it's had a repaint?

Dash has cracks

The quickly moving video looks to show "surface rust" in the hell hole. Hard to tell from the camera work. Certainly needs a closer look. Same with the floor pans

Freshly painted bottom makes me nervous

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
iwanta914-6
I didn't even notice the video last night.
billh1963
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Feb 23 2016, 07:59 AM) *

I didn't even notice the video last night.

It's a good looking car and if as original as claimed is worth every penny.

I'm just saying due diligence is required as always smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKw-W5mvzHY
iwanta914-6
It does appear that something under the car is being covered up. I would never buy any 914 without either seeing the car myself or having someone from the world check it out for me. I'm just not in the position right now to even consider it.

It sure is purdy though!
era vulgaris
Man this car is making the rounds here and on facebook!

I was looking at it last night too. The lack of script on the rear is a possible cause for concern, because those holes had to be filled somehow and for some reason.

The muffler and heat exchangers look new. There is a lot of undercoating on that car. Undercoating scares me...especially undercoating that looks that clean and new.

The video is terrible. Really freaking terrible. I mean it's not that hard to make a decent video that actually lets you properly see the car. Way to show the rear trunk with the roof in it. Maybe take the roof out so viewers can actually see the trunk! He also revs past redline when he fires it up (a great way to blow out galley plugs), and it immediately idles at 1K with a little bit of temp showing on the temp guage, so definitely not a cold start.

Question...if this car was bought in Germany, driven around Europe, and then shipped to the US as the ad says...why does it have the US market-only side markers? Wouldn't it be a Euro market car?
Ferg
It's already pulled from Clist...

Going through the video and pausing I see plenty on the undercarriage that I would want inspected or see in person. Just does not look right, but video is not clear enough to determine. Way to risky IMO to pull the trigger without inspection on this one.

iwanta914-6
QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 23 2016, 11:05 AM) *

That didn't take long...
billh1963
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Feb 23 2016, 12:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 23 2016, 11:05 AM) *

That didn't take long...

There's a sucker born every minute. Gawd knows I've been suckered way too many times and still haven't learned my lesson... lol-2.gif

I hope the car checks out for the new owner.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Feb 23 2016, 01:33 PM) *

Or it could be destination: ebay smash.gif
Wouldn't surprise me if one of those classic car dealers snagged it at asking price, and we'll see it in the mid to high teens in a few weeks.
billh1963
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Feb 23 2016, 02:21 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Feb 23 2016, 01:33 PM) *

Or it could be destination: ebay smash.gif
Wouldn't surprise me if one of those classic car dealers snagged it at asking price, and we'll see it in the mid to high teens in a few weeks.

True. One of the benefits of the internet is that interesting cars/good deals get brought to the attention of many people

One of the drawbacks is that flippers and dealers troll sites looking for these very same interesting cars/good deals. They let the enthusiasts do the work for them dry.gif
914time
I didn't see what they were asking for it. Someone mind sharing?

I'm pretty sure I saw holes in the driver side rear long. And the passenger side long looked poorly patched as the video went racing by...
championgt1
QUOTE(914time @ Feb 23 2016, 11:49 AM) *

I'm pretty sure I saw holes in the driver side rear long. And the passenger side long looked poorly patched as the video went racing by...

billh1963
QUOTE(914time @ Feb 23 2016, 02:49 PM) *

That's why I posted the video link. The problem area review was "cursory" at best...and that's being generous
iwanta914-6
Maybe the new owner will show up here, or as someone already mentioned, see it on ebay shortly.
billh1963
Might be original paint....badging holes

Click to view attachment

Now it gets ugly

Driver's side

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Passenger side

Click to view attachment
liebe
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Feb 23 2016, 05:45 AM) *

Someone buy this before I do because I'll end up living in it after getting kicked out of the house! lol

http://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/5459826393.html

IPB Image

Goneee, nice car, good price
Chris H.
Yeah that floor looks WEIRD. Hope it's just the pics.
carguy987
QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 23 2016, 12:05 PM) *

Going through the video and pausing I see plenty on the undercarriage that I would want inspected or see in person. Just does not look right, but video is not clear enough to determine. Way to risky IMO to pull the trigger without inspection on this one.

It's off craigslist cuz i bought it.......
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(carguy987 @ Feb 23 2016, 09:07 PM) *

Congrats! welcome.png
gereed75
QUOTE(carguy987 @ Feb 23 2016, 10:07 PM) *

Welcome and congrats. I am in south Fort Myers if you would like some help with the car
liebe
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 24 2016, 02:10 AM) *

Yeah that floor looks WEIRD. Hope it's just the pics.

Chris, i thought the same thing, specially being an origjnal car, like advert says.
Like you say, hope its just the angle or pic.
Ferg
Not original paint. You can see blue overspray on the rubber grommet between rocker cover and body when he sweeps in front of pass rear wheel well.

Congrats on the purchase!
914time
Congrats and welcome carguy987!

We look forward to learning more about your car!
liebe
QUOTE(914time @ Feb 24 2016, 10:22 PM) *

Welcome ! can you post more pics, and elaborate on the car a little more. Hope you keep it for a long while, but you will be temped to sell it !
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(liebe @ Feb 24 2016, 04:12 PM) *

Welcome ! can you post more pics, and elaborate on the car a little more. Hope you keep it for a long while, but you will be temped to sell it !

I would suggest if you would be so kind as to start a new post as an introduction to yourself and your new 914.
carguy987
QUOTE(Ferg @ Feb 24 2016, 02:14 PM) *

Not original paint. You can see blue overspray on the rubber grommet between rocker cover and body when he sweeps in front of pass rear wheel well.

Thanks, Yes the owner said it was repainted in 2000. It was a European delivery car. He flew to Germany drove the car around Europe and then Porsche imported the car to the states. It was built for the US though to answer one guys question. He has the original German bill of sale and all the import documents. Has a ledger of everything ever done to the car with receipts to back it up. I might of pulled the trigger too fast as I am a little worried about what looks like rust or is it undercoating the meticulous owner had put on. (is it a cover up or preventative) I'll find out in a couple of days when the car arrives. The car looked so good and straight and original owner, fully documented, original engine and trans, It was hard to pass up and If I would of thought about it the car would of been gone. After I deposited the money at around 11 am he got a call from a guy in California offering 18K. I almost said, whats that guys number....lol.
carguy987
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Feb 24 2016, 05:29 PM) *

QUOTE(liebe @ Feb 24 2016, 04:12 PM) *

I would suggest if you would be so kind as to start a new post as an introduction to yourself and your new 914.

OK I will when I get the car and figure out this website.
carguy987
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Feb 24 2016, 01:50 AM) *

QUOTE(carguy987 @ Feb 23 2016, 10:07 PM) *

Welcome and congrats. I am in south Fort Myers if you would like some help with the car

OK great I'm always willing to talk to a fellow carguy. Its been a long time since I've owned a 914 and you could probably tell me the best places to find parts, etc. I've had 3 914's and 5 Boxsters. I just like mid engine cars. I converted 2 of the 914's to V8's in the eighties. Bought my first new Porsche in 1999 was a Artic Silver Boxster, loaded with Zenon, FULL leather interior, etc. Then when the S came out had to have that. Then when they restyled the Boxster in 2005 had to have an S. Right now my daily driver is a 2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6 speed. Premium. 50th anniv pkg. Its got everything including AC seats.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(carguy987 @ Feb 24 2016, 09:12 PM) *

The car looked so good and straight and original owner, fully documented, original engine and trans, It was hard to pass up and If I would of thought about it the car would of been gone. After I deposited the money at around 11 am he got a call from a guy in California offering 18K. I almost said, whats that guys number....lol.

The second I saw this car I knew it would sell fast. There are some troubling looking areas underneath, but man that car looks nice otherwise. I think at $12K you got a bargain!

The guy from Cali offering $18K I'm guessing was a member here. I'm almost certain I know who it was.
billh1963
QUOTE(carguy987 @ Feb 24 2016, 10:12 PM) *

Thanks, Yes the owner said it was repainted in 2000. It was a European delivery car. He flew to Germany drove the car around Europe and then Porsche imported the car to the states. It was built for the US though to answer one guys question. He has the original German bill of sale and all the import documents. Has a ledger of everything ever done to the car with receipts to back it up. I might of pulled the trigger too fast as I am a little worried about what looks like rust or is it undercoating the meticulous owner had put on. (is it a cover up or preventative) I'll find out in a couple of days when the car arrives. The car looked so good and straight and original owner, fully documented, original engine and trans, It was hard to pass up and If I would of thought about it the car would of been gone. After I deposited the money at around 11 am he got a call from a guy in California offering 18K. I almost said, whats that guys number....lol.

Did the car arrive? how does the bottom of the car look?
carguy987
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Feb 27 2016, 07:50 PM) *

QUOTE(carguy987 @ Feb 24 2016, 10:12 PM) *

Did the car arrive? how does the bottom of the car look?

No trucker hasn't picked it up yet. Still waiting.
EdwardBlume

welcome.png welcome.png

I'm an Olympic blue fan fwiw.
whitetwinturbo
welcome.png

chowtime.gif ............let us know what you find when it arrives (hopefully in one piece laugh.gif )
carguy987
The trucker is picking it up tomorrow and I should have it Wednesday 3/2. Per transporters email ....Bar any problems.
carguy987
In going thru all the paperwork, the original window sticker lists factory undercoating was purchased. That is the goop you see on the floor edges. It did have a couple of small holes on bottom of outer rocker. I took it to a porsche restoration shop and they are fixing it now.
billh1963
QUOTE(carguy987 @ Mar 6 2016, 04:08 PM) *

In going thru all the paperwork, the original window sticker lists factory undercoating was purchased. That is the goop you see on the floor edges. It did have a couple of small holes on bottom of outer rocker. I took it to a porsche restoration shop and they are fixing it now.

That's good news. Make sure they look at the hell hole area thoroughly
carguy987
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 6 2016, 07:37 PM) *

The owner of the shop and I went over the car for almost two hours yesterday. We took off the rockers and checked everywhere for rust. The bottom of the hell hole (which is the top of the long) has surface rust. I knocked on it appears solid. Also 1" hole in side wall of hell hole (inner fenderwell). Taking care of that. The shop owner said I had a good solid car. He has been working on 914's since 1986 And he personally has 8 914's. Thats why I trust him with the car.
carguy987
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Mar 6 2016, 07:37 PM) *

Here are some more pics. only let me upload two on last post.
914time
Looking good!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.