Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big ass turbo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
Did an inspection at a natural gas processing plant.....big old turbo charger....
Joe Bob
Oppsie, here's the turbo....
Joe Bob
Engine is a Cooper Bessemer, V10 two stroke natural gas fired engine.
rick 918-S
sweet aktion035.gif
scotty914
you cant turbo a v-10 lol2.gif
Joe Bob
They have eight of these monsters in the shed. It's a natural gas storage facility. Back in the early 1900s they were drilling for oil.....found Natural gas, which wasn't worth much back then....so they sealed the field.

SO Cal Gas Company bought the field and now uses it as a natural underground storage facility.

The turbos were added afterwards, the motors were originally US Navy compressor and generators from large warships. They run at a wopping 500 rpms and are used to compress and charge NG back underground for cold winter months when supply outstrips the production of gas from the offshore oil platforms in the Santa Barbara Channel....
jasons
Sweet! My dad was an engineer at Cooper Bessemer for probably 35 years. I always like to see their engines. Seriously thanks for posting that!
SLITS
QUOTE (Sammy @ Mar 22 2005, 08:35 AM)
Worst was the engines at sewage treatment plants, they ran off of digester gas (methane from the rotting poopies) to run generators. No matter how much they scrubbed the incoming gas it wasn't as clean and natural gas.

Bud, that was the smell of money (Yea, I was a turdherder)......Sweet!
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (mikez @ Mar 22 2005, 09:07 AM)
Engine is a Cooper Bessemer, V10 two stroke natural gas fired engine.

901 tranny adaptor plate from rennegade available for those? ohmy.gif

biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
That was cool Mike, thanks for posting the pic's. Yeah, I watched something on the History chanel about that "cap" not too long ago. Amazing stuff. I wish history interested me as much back in school as it does now. rolleyes.gif
TravisNeff
It's not called an ass pumper for nuttin'!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.